Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Seasons Change

Well....since I posted last, I have so many things happen in my life.  I think I mentioned in my last post that I had some pretty big changes coming up soon.  And I sure have!  I have decided to take a leave of absence from my teaching job so that I can spend more time with my mom as she battles ALS.

This was such a hard decision for me because I love my class so much and I would never want to leave them in the middle of the year!  But I really prayed about it and I just felt like my mom needed me more and that I would never regret the time I would be able to spend with her.  So, last week was my last week at school.  It was the end of the quarter and the perfect time for me to leave and a new teacher to begin.

I don't think I could adequately put into words how loved and blessed I felt during my last week at school.  My students were so sweet to me.  My parents were beyond supportive.  And all my co-workers were so kind and caring.  I truly felt the love all week long.

On my last full day at school, all the parents came in right at the end of the day to pray for me.  My whole class circled around me and prayed for me with their sincere little hearts.  It meant so much to me and it was a day I will never forget.


And they gave me the sweetest gifts and letters.  This is a canvas with all my students' hands in a circle together with a special Bible verse at the bottom.  I love it!


I also got flowers, and one of the little girls in my class gave me a "Jar Of Joy".


Inside are little pieces of paper with special encouraging Bible verses on them for me to open when I need some encouragement.


And I will always keep these precious letters.  Are they the sweetest thing or what??



This was my first week at home and I have spent part of each day with my mom.  Yesterday she was not feeling well at all, so I was so glad I was able to be there with her while my dad had meetings all day.  I am so thankful I get to do this.  Plus, yesterday was a beautiful day so Ashley called and I met her at the park.  I LOVE being able to do that!



Besides everything going on at school, I have also had a lot going on at home, too.  Lindy and I both had sinus infections, coughs, and sore throats for the whole first two weeks of January.  Good times.  I spent a lot of time lying around watching TV (mostly football, The Good Wife, and my new obsession, Fixer Uppers!)...


 ....and blowing my nose non-stop.


When I finally got over that, we got to babysit one night while John and Ashley went out.  David is in to playing games these days!  We love keeping them!


And I could just eat this child up!


Steve and I went to Starbucks on Saturday morning so I could get my report cards done and he could work on other stuff.


We went to church on Sunday morning, and since then I have just been trying to get a new routine going.

Sometimes the seasons of your life just change.  This is my 20th year of teaching.  It has been SO LONG since I have stayed home and not worked at all.  But I am looking forward to this new stage and I know that this is what God wants me to do right now.  And I am so thankful I get to do it!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, Betsy, this post made me cry. What an extravagant gift to your Mom! You inspire me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe I have ever commented on a post before. I love reading your blog though. I was so touched by this post and that you are able to help your Mom through such a difficult illness. I so admire that you are following God's leading and giving up temporarily a career that you love and are obviously gifted for. I will be praying for your Mom and again, thank you for being such a wonderful example and giving back to a parent that gives so much to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a good and loving daughter - enjoy the time off and the gift of time you can give :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for your mom and family. I know your students are missing you, but hopefully adjusting to their new teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer 8 weeks after we adopted our son. I wasn't able to take off work, but was at every dr. appt. and chemo treatment with her. I missed my last class of my Ed.S. program to be at her reconstruction surgery and they dropped my grade a letter. I realized quickly, that you only get one family. Prayers for your mom and sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betsy, I just found your blog. I take my hat off to you for quitting your teaching job to help take care of your Mom. Clearly, you were loved by your students and their parents. My bff from college is suffering from ALS - such a terrible disease. I am sure that both your parents are grateful for your sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are amazing! and your right you won't regret a minute you get to be with your mom and grandkids too:) Life is short:) Keeping you all in our prayers too:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are the sweetest letters from your students! (I am amazed at their sentence structure at such a young age!) I can tell you will be missed! Praying for your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betsy, I just want to tell you how much I admire your selflessness to take care of your Mom. You won't regret it, I promise. I retired from teaching to take care of my parents and the Lord worked out all the details! What a blessing to you with your class praying for you on your last day! Brought me to tears! I agree that those children wrote so well for their age....a compliment for their teacher for sure! Praying for you in your "new role" in life and know God will bless you richly for modeling for others that we take care of our parents! Should I get Kelly to read this for future reference?? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)