Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Mississippi

This past weekend, Steve and I went down to Mississippi for his aunt and uncle's 60th wedding anniversary.  


Steve and I both have deep roots in the south.  His whole family is from Mississippi and my parents lived there too when my dad pastored a church in Picayune.  Between the two of us, we have either lived in or had family in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, Texas, Arkansas, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Florida!  We love the south and all the fun and tradition that goes along with it, so we were excited that we could go for a long weekend to Jackson to help celebrate with his family.

We took Steve's mom with us and drove through Atlanta on our way down on Thursday. We got to stop and visit with Steve's cousin, Donna, before we headed on to Jackson on Friday.  We got there around dinner time and met everyone for dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, Cock Of The Walk.  We walked into a room of about 40 people and every one of them was family!  

When you are in Mississippi, there are a few things you always have to get.  One of them is catfish!  Mississippi is known for it's catfish and they do it up right.  


You also have to get fried pickles.  They are delish!  


We got catfish, cornbread, french fries, fried pickles, turnip greens, cole slaw, and hushpuppies for dinner.  I know it wasn't healthy, but it sure was good!  It was a fun night seeing everybody and getting to visit for a little while.

On Saturday we went with Steve's aunts and uncles to get breakfast at a little diner and then we went to see American Sniper.  Wow.  It was so good!  The language is rough, but over all I LOVED it.  I would definitely recommend seeing it.


After the movie, it was time to head over to the party.  Steve's Uncle Wallace and Aunt Bobbie have been married for 60 years!  And they are still just as in love as ever.  I love seeing couples who have weathered life's ups and downs and have stuck together through it all.  That is what true love should look like.  I was so happy we got to celebrate that special day with them.  I hope Steve and I make it to 60 years together!




This picture is Steve's mom with her two brothers and her sister and their spouses.  They always have fun together!


The party was at Ridgecrest Baptist Church and all Uncle Wallace and Aunt Bobbie's friends and family were there.  Afterwards, they catered in barbecue from Dickey's and oh. my. word.  It was sooo good!! I love my North Carolina barbeque, but Texas barbecue might be my favorite.  As you can tell, we ate a lot!  That's just part of the fun when you are in the south!

And speaking of Mississippi, one more thing.....

I have been hearing so much about this book recently, so I got it on my Kindle yesterday.  


I had finished my latest book, The Boys In The Boat, on our flight home this weekend.  


It is about nine working class boys from the Pacific Northwest who made up the rowing team at the University of Washington and how they went to the 1936 Olympics when Hitler was in power and unexpectedly beat the Germans.  I really liked it (y'all know how I love my history!), but I needed a new book.  So I thought I would love this one by Boo Mama.  And it is really good so far! I can so relate to it because it is about growing up in Mississippi in the 70's (which is similar to growing up anywhere in the south in the 70's!).  Yep....that is right up my alley!  I bet you would like it too because Boo Mama is just so funny and down to earth!

Anyway...we had such a fun weekend with everybody.   I am so thankful for both of our families and all the good times we have when we are together.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reminding me....I have been meaning to get Boo Mama's book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)