Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Goodbye 2014!

Every year for the past few years I have posted a little end-of-year questionnaire to help me remember all the important things about the previous year.  So here goes 2014!

1-What did you do in 2014 that you had never done before?

1-Tried a ropes course for the first time & had a lot of fun!  It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be!
2-Went candle pin bowling.
3-Tried salsa dancing.
4-Learned to play a dice game called Farkle.

2-Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yes!  Ashley had her third baby....John William Scott (Will).  He is the sweetest, smiliest, most easy-going little angel on the planet.  He has blessed our lives so much!


And my brother, Brent, had a little boy, Braxton in November!


3-Did anyone close to you die?

Lindy's boyfriend, Sean, lost his dad to cancer on October 8th this year.  It was such a sad time for them.

4-What dates from 2014 will remain etched in your memory and why?

I will never forget the day sweet baby Will was born.  And I will always remember the fun Steve and I had on our 50th birthdays this year.  And I know I will also never forget the day last February when I found out my mom has ALS.

5-Did you suffer any illness or injury?

Well...I was very blessed with good health this year.  However, Steve came down with the flu for a whole week during January last year.


And Lindy and Ashley both had kidney stones!!


My mom got pneumonia in August and had an intestinal blockage in November.


So we have definitely had our share of sickness this year!

6-What was the best thing you bought?

The best thing I bought this year was probably my new bedroom and living room furniture.


After four kids and two dogs and fourteen years of living in this house, we needed it and we have loved it!

7-What songs will always remind you of 2014?

Happy by Pharrell Williams.  This was my class anthem last year.  We played it over and over and had dance parties to it.  I love this song!


Shake It Off-Taylor Swift.  So fun!

Let It Go from Frozen.  I will always think about Sweet Caroline singing this song in her precious little baby voice!

Beachin' by Jake Aldean- The best summer song!  My assistant, Lyndsey, and I shared a love of this song!

8-What do you wish you would have done more/less of?

Prayed more, worried less.

9-What was your favorite TV program?

My favorite TV show this year was definitely The Good Wife!  I LOVE it!  We have made our way through the first three seasons and I am so happy there are three more to go!


I still have fun watching Nashville with Lindy and I still love Downton Abbey!

10-What was the best book you read this year?

I loved Restless by Jennie Allen.



And Wild by Cheryl Strayed!


11-What was the best movie you saw this year?

I feel like I didn't really see many movies this year.  Last night I did see Wild with Lindy and I really loved it.  It is definitely raw.  But it is a redemptive story and it was true to the book.  Cheryl Strayed and her daughter are also both in the movie.  Reese Witherspoon did an amazing job I thought!


 I would have to say that Unbroken tied for my favorite!  What an awesome story of love and forgiveness.  Go see it!


12-What did you do on your birthday?  How old were you?

I turned 50 this year and Steve took me on an awesome trip to NYC!  We had the BEST time!



13-Did you travel anywhere this year?

Yes.  The Maddoxes and travel just go together like peanut butter & jelly.  It is one of our favorite things to do.

This year we visited:

The Mountains--once in March and once in November!



New York--once in April and once in December.



Boston




Bar Harbor, Maine


Myrtle Beach






Portland


Victoria, BC


and Arizona!


And Mark lived in Santiago, Chile for the summer!


14-What national/international event stirred you the most?

I loved the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge this year!  It meant so much to me since my mom got diagnosed with ALS in February.


The ebola crisis was so awful and I was gripped by the stories of bravery that came out of that.


It was so much fun cheering the USA on in the Sochi Olympics!


And I don't think anyone could watch the whole Ferguson, Missouri riots and not rethink race relations in our country.


15-Tell us a valuable lesson you learned in 2014.

In 2014, I have become more dependent on God to see me through hard times.  It has not been the easiest year, but I have felt God's presence with me every day.  I know that whatever 2015 brings, He will walk right beside me.  I know I can face anything because He loves me and he is guarding me and He only wants the best for me.  That is easy to say when you are not facing any kind of struggle, but I can honestly say that all the things I know about God have not changed in the face of crisis.  He is still just as true and good and loving as I always knew He was.  That gives me the courage to face whatever may come my way.


So, here's to 2015!  I wish you and your family a WONDERFUL new year!

3 comments:

  1. What a great way to look back at the year. Love all your pics from your trips - my husband and I plan to travel more this year and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice post! I have really enjoyed reading your log, so glad I found it! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your year in review fun to see what lessons we learn and favorite memories a good life:) Happy 2015 its already one of change but it will be a blessing:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)