Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Winter Chill

Good news!  My mom got to go home from the hospital yesterday!!  That was a huge surprise.  We thought it would be the end of the week, but she was doing so well the doctors sent her home.  I truly believe it was all the people she had praying for her.  God answered our prayers and I am so thankful.  My dad texted me this morning and said she had a great first night at home and she was up drinking her coffee!  

I saw this quote this morning and it rang so true to me...


Even the blackest day or the scariest hour or the worst moment will not last forever.  You will get through it and things will ultimately get better.

Today winter decided to show up here in Charlotte.  It is only the middle of November and it is already below freezing here (like it probably is where you live, too!)  This is what the weather app said it was going to be like here today, but it was only kidding.  The high here today was 36!


Let me just tell you...it was a COLD recess today!  Some of my kids were begging to come inside!

I know a lot of people really hate winter.  My husband is one of them.  He is just not a fan.  But we are kind of opposites in that way because I love ALL the seasons.  That is one reason why I love where I live so much!  All the seasons are very distinct here and just about the time you get sick of one, it is time for something new.  I love summer the most, but every season is fun to me and full of beauty and change.  That keeps life interesting!

I guess what I love about winter is the coziness of it.  Steve and I have been keeping our window cracked just a tiny bit at night so our bedroom is really cold.  Then we get all snuggled up under our warm blankets and THAT, my friends, is some good sleeping weather!

And what is better than a fire crackling in the fireplace on a cold night?  Throw in some hot chocolate and a good movie or book and you've got a perfect night!

Here are just a few of my other winter favorites:

All things Christmas, of course!


Cute jackets, warm fuzzy socks, coats, scarves, and mittens.


Snow.  Teachers love snow days as much as the kids do!


How clear the stars are on a winter night & the hint of smoke in the air from a fireplace nearby.


My Uggs.

The stark beauty of the winter trees.

The stillness.

And, red cups at Starbucks.


And, speaking of the things I love about winter.  Comfort food is definitely at the top of the list.  This week I tried two new recipes that were so good for a cold, winter night.  I thought I would share them with you!

The first one was from Damn Delicious.  It was called Baked Chicken and Mushroom Skillet.  My whole family loved it!  I served it with potatoes, roasted butternut squash, and Brussels sprouts.

The other one was Pioneer Woman's rice pudding.  That just sounded so good to me this afternoon after school.  Something warm and creamy and sweet felt like the perfect comfort food when it was so cold outside.  And it was!  Here is the recipe.

So...with all those fun, wonderful things going on....how can you NOT love winter?!



1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad your mom is home and doing well.
    I've never commented before, but I enjoy reading your blog.
    I love all those same things that you mentioned! The changing of the seasons is one of my favorite things too, but the holiday season is magical.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)