Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Boston/Bar Harbor

Right after school was out in June, we made a trip up to Boston to visit Laura.  She has been there for one whole year now and I could almost cry with happiness at how much she loves it there.  God has worked out every last detail for her.  She has had some of the most amazing experiences and has met some of the best friends of her life there.  I am just so thankful.


We had so much fun visiting her.  First of all, we enjoyed getting to know all her friends.  We met them for pizza and candle pin bowling the first night we were there.  I had never done that before (apparently it's a New England thing?), but we had so much fun.  And then went to lunch after church on Sunday with them. What an awesome group of people.  They love the Lord and they love each other and they sure do know how to have fun!!



We had our usual fun shopping, sight seeing, and eating at amazing restaurants while we were there.

We love shopping on Newbury Street...



....and walking around the beautiful Harvard campus.  I always feel smarter just being there! :)


Plus we have to visit some of our favorite restaurants like Border Cafe and The Biscuit!



We are all chocolate lovers, so we also made a stop at L.A. Burdick Chocolate.  Laura said their hot chocolate is especially good and on a cold, winter day!


Laura treated us to Top Of The Hub for dinner one night.


I have the best kids.  They are all grown up now, but they are still such a blessing to me every day.  Laura was so sweet to do that for us!

Here is the view overlooking Boston that we could see out of the window...


Our dinner was delish.  I got chocolate creme brulee and coffee for dessert.


After dinner, Laura took us salsa dancing at Cuban dance club!  Haha!  That was definitely a first for us and we had such a fun night.  Laura and her friend, Claudia, are pros at it.  Steve and I, not so much!


For Father's Day, Laura got us tickets to a Red Sox game.  We ate dinner at Sweet Cheeks restaurant before the game where I got maybe the best barbeque I've had in forever.  North Carolina is known for its BBQ, but this gave us a run for our money!


We had such a good time at the game.  It was a little rainy when we got there, but we didn't let that stop us from having fun.  I had never been to a Red Sox game before.  They definitely have some of the best fans in the world!





We always have a great time when we are in Boston and I loved getting to see my girl.  It was a really fun weekend.

While we were in Boston, we decided that since we were already up in New England, we should explore a little bit and see some things close by, so we decided to drive to Maine for a few days.  We stayed in Bar Harbor and had such a good time sight seeing and enjoying all that cool weather.

Bar Harbor is a quaint little town with cute shops and restaurants.  It is right on the water and very near Acadia National Park and lots of natural beauty!  One of the things that is so pretty in Maine is all the lavender and lupines that grow everywhere there!


We walked all around the little town, got ice cream, people watched, and browsed through the shops looking for a sweatshirt for me.  It was chilly!



Here is the view from our hotel room.


It was pretty cool outside, but some people thought it was warm enough to swim!  I loved that the pool overlooked the lake.


The first night we got there, we went to Side Street Cafe and I got lobster stew.  You can't go to Maine and not eat lobster!   They sell lobster all along the side of the road just like we sell barbeque here in NC.  As you are driving along, you will see big lobster pots just ready to cook a lobster!  


I loved my dinner.  If you are ever in Bar Harbor, you need to go to this restaurant. It will not disappoint.


In the morning, we got up early and headed to Acadia National Park.  It was so pretty, but oh my word....it was FREEZING with the wind blowing off the water!!





We spent most of our day just driving around and exploring the area.  Dinner was a perfect way to end our day.  We listened to live music and ate at McKay's Public House.  It was so relaxing and fun.


We were only able to stay for a couple of days, but we had a great time.  I know I have said it before, but we just really love traveling together!  There is song by Jake Owen called Anywhere With You and we sing it to each other sometimes because the words are perfect for us!

Pick a spot on any old map
I travel light and my bags are packed
Just as long as I'm where you're at
I'm gonna have a real good view
I'd go anywhere, anywhere with you.....


1 comment:

  1. This all looks amazing, Betsy! Beautiful places!

    I might have posted this before on your blog, but reading about the fun things you do with your grown-up children is so encouraging to me!! Sometimes it makes me sad to think about how fast my three are growing up (my "baby" starts kindergarten in a few weeks), but reading about the great experiences you have with your kids as grown-ups makes me happy and reminds me that God will just continue to bless us through our kids! Thanks for sharing your journey--you have such a precious family, and the joy of the Lord seems evident on your face in every picture!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)