Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Rollercoaster Of Life

When I was a little girl, I always dreamed of having a big family.  I loved playing at my friends' houses that had lots of brothers and sisters.  I loved reading stories about big families.   And I was always attracted to TV shows like The Brady Bunch and The Waltons where there was lots of love and always something going on.  There were three kids in my family and Steve has a brother and three sisters.   We both love kids, so we were definitely in agreement that we wanted to have a house full.  And, guess what?  God blessed us with four beautiful children and I got that big, busy family that I always dreamed of! One of the things no one ever tells you about, though, is just HOW busy you will really be with lots of kids and a big family!  Even when they are all grown up!

Not only do we have lots of kids of our own, but most of our extended family lives here in Charlotte and that is a lot of people, believe me.  Plus, we have a big church that we grew up in where we know lots of people. We are also close with our neighbors, our co-workers, and friends we have known since childhood.  At times, it seems like our circle of relationships is very large.   And when you have lots of people in your life, you have all the joy and fun and support and love that goes along with that, but you also have all the struggle and heartache and worry that comes from loving others and wanting the best for them.  Anyway...all this is just to say that over the past two months, my life has literally been such a roller coaster of ups and downs with family and friends that it has been one of those kinds of times where you are just hanging on for the ride and staying on your knees a lot just asking God for help and wisdom and thanking Him for all the joy, too.

Let me go back to February, which is where I left off in my last post.  After all our snow days, we went back to school and work and started trying to get back into a routine.  I don't know if I mentioned this before, but since last summer, my mom has been having trouble speaking clearly.  She seemed to have a permanent case of laryngitis and was slurring her words.  She saw several doctors trying to get some answers, but no one could seem to figure out what the problem was.  So, in late February, she finally went to a neurologist who told her the news that she most likely has bulbar palsy, which is form of ALS that effects your speaking and the muscles above the shoulders. Eventually it spreads and ultimately leads to death. It was a devastating diagnosis.  There is no treatment and no cure for ALS.  There is still a 5% chance that it could be something else such as thyroid issues, so we are still praying for that. I would really appreciate your prayers, too, if you think about it.  Somebody has to be in that 5% and she has had lots of thyroid issues in the past, so it is not too far fetched for that to be her problem!  I blogged about my mom on her birthday one year and talked about how she is a wonderful mother, grandmother, preacher's wife, and friend.  I am praying every day that somehow she will be spared from this terrible disease.  But if she isn't, I know God will give us the strength to get through it and we will still praise Him anyway.  We have been blessed so much in our life.  If I never got another blessing from God, it would be enough already!


In February, we also got to celebrate two of my most precious blessings....David and Caroline!  Their birthdays are two days apart.  David turned three and Caroline turned one.  David had a little party with his friends.


And then they had a family party at home together.




We were excited that Uncle Mark got to come home from Washington to help celebrate!


They make me happy every single day and bring so much joy to our lives.  It was a fun day with them!



February was over before we knew it and it was March.  Lindy was about to fly to Boston with a friend for the weekend to see Laura when she started doubling over in pain with a kidney stone.  We ended up in the ER.  She got tons of medicine, a few shots in her behind, and had to send her friend, Melissa, off to Boston by herself.  THAT was a fun weekend.  Bless her heart.  She was in so much pain and so disappointed at the same time.  Uuuugghhh!!


I had so much going on at school in March.  It was one of those months where I stayed late lots of days, did report cards, graded school projects and just tried to juggle everything in the midst of being preoccupied with thinking about my mom and Lindy and Ashley's baby coming.  One of Mark's best friends also had some really, really hard things happen during March.  He is like a son to us and my heart has just been going out to him and his family.  We love them and are just praying for them every day.  School is hard to do when you have so much to think about at home!

But one of the BEST parts about March was Laura coming home for the weekend and getting to go to the mountains with our neighbors.  They have a house in Boone and it is so relaxing to go up there and just hang out together.  You can almost feel your blood pressure going down!

We ate at Woodlands Barbeque, one of our favorites...


Enjoyed the peace and quiet and some good fellowship with friends...


(Some of Laura's roommates from college stayed with us, plus our neighbor Kelsey...)


Drank our coffee out on the porch overlooking the mountains...


Did some hiking...




Ate at Our Daily Bread in Boone for lunch (which we love!)...



We also shopped and played corn hole and watched basketball and sat around the kitchen table talking in the mornings.  That weekend was so nice.  I was so thankful for good friends and down time.

It was sad watching Laura and Lindy say goodbye to each other at the airport.  They love each other so much!


In the meantime, we attended a 25th surprise anniversary party for Steve's sister and her husband...


And gave our bedroom a makeover...


We didn't get to see Mark for his birthday, sadly.  He couldn't make it home.  But we sent him lots of birthday wishes and a care package.


Three days after Mark's birthday...on March 28th, Ashley had another little boy...John William Scott (Will).  He weighed 6 lbs. 12 oz.  She called us at 5:15 on that Friday morning and said they were headed into the hospital.  He was born at 7:45!  I had a Fun Run at school that day that I needed to go to, so right after it was over, we headed up to the hospital.







He is literally the sweetest baby I think I have ever seen!  He just sleeps so good and never fusses.  He is absolutely precious and we are all so in love with him!!



In the meantime, the weather has gotten beautiful.  The trees and flowers are blooming and pollen is literally EVERYWHERE...


Lindy got a job that she LOVES at a little boutique called Fab'rik and I am so happy for her!


We have been watching lots of NCAA basketball, and Friday night, Steve, Lindy, and I all worked at Joy Prom, one of our favorite nights of the year. You might have heard me talk about it before.  Here is a link that will show you what it is all about.

Unfortunately, yesterday, Ashley got a kidney stone!! 


It is so crazy that Lindy got one last month, and now Ashley has one!  She was in so much pain and had to go to the ER, so Lindy and I went over to stay with the kids.  It was so windy yesterday and I had been playing outside with David, so my hair is crazy!  Haha!



Anyway...needless to say, our life has been a whirlwind, rollercoaster, up and down crazy ride these past few months.  It wouldn't make me sad for everything to calm down a little bit!

But I am blessed.  I have family and friends and I have so many good things in my life.  Even with all it's craziness!

7 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

Oh Betsy! I can so FEEL your life! We just never know what a day will bring! Sometimes it feels busier now that our kids are grown than it ever was! You have had your plate FULL and I'm sure you are counting the days until Easter break! I could not believe it when I saw that Ashley had a Kidney Stone after her sister had just had one! My boys each had their appendix out a few months apart just a few years ago! CRAZY! Take care of that precious family of yours! You are indeed blessed!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Hi Betsy!

i am so happy Will is here! My son is John William also and we call him Will...so obviously I LOVE the name. :)

So sad for your girls and their kidney stones. I had one when I was in high school (years and years ago) and remember it being so incredibly painful. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I'll say a prayer for your mom. I'm so glad you live close to your family and have such a support system around you. It's a huge blessing and I know you don't take that for granted.

Hope you have a good week...and that April is maybe not quite so eventful. :)

Andie said...

Oh my word Betsy. I am tired just reading this. I am a mom of four children ages 7 to 20. I feel like we are always so busy. It looks like that will never change. I will pray for your mom. You can see the kindness in her eyes and she just sounds lovely. I know how hard that news must have been for you. My family recently received some upsetting news as well. God is good and we must hang on to that. Congratulations on that sweet new baby boy. What a blessing. So glad you had a few minutes to update. I really enjoy keeping up with your family.

sl said...

Praying for your Mom!

jen said...

Have loved your blog for such a long time. Am praying for your mom! What a sweet family you have!!!

Alex and Jill said...

I am praying for your Mama. Praying she is in that 5%! I just love your sweet family. You all have such a special bond - that's evident. And praying for your girls too...I've never had kidney stones but man, they sound painful!!

((HUGS))

momofall said...

I have been praying for you and your family. I knew it had to be some kind of serious stuff going on, for you to not be blogging in quite so long. I will continue praying for you and your entire family. I am so inspired by your family closeness and family world.
I can understand all of those things happening and you just try to get through it and pray that you are doing the right thing.
Please keep us as updated as you can with all of your responsibilities going on-- GOD shines through all of it. Thank you for sharing with us.