Saturday, January 25, 2014

Restless-It Is Worth The Read!

"Every one of us was made to do great things, and it is why something in us feels restless and discontent.  Because deep down, we know we were created for some great purpose.  And these great things we were built to do are for God, through God, and in God."-Jennie Allen



About a week or two ago, I started seeing a book all over the internet.  I saw it being promoted on several of the blogs that I read.  I saw it on Facebook.  And I just started hearing a lot about how good it was.  The book was Restless by Jennie Allen.


I have read Jennie's blog and I know that she is one of the organizers of the If:Gathering that is coming up in February.  I love her heart for the Lord, and I am always looking for a good book, so I downloaded it onto my Kindle and seriously read it in about two days.  It was SO good.

I have now added this book to my favorite books list, so I wanted to share with you just a few things that I thought were so meaningful about it.  I always like to get a personal recommendation from a friend when choosing a good book and I can definitely give you one in this case.   I have a feeling when you read it, it will resonate with you just like it did me.

Let me start by sharing a few quotes that I loved from the book.  I think it will give you an idea about what the book is all about.  Since I can't phrase it like she does, I will just let you read it for yourself! :)

"Our God is real.
Our God is coming.
Our God has plans for us.
Our lives are short.
We must get after it.
Because heaven is coming fast.
And what we are about to do here is urgent."

"Figure out what it means to run after God.  Throw off what is holding you back.  Find and live your part in his story."


via:  www.jennieallen.com

"Great people do not do great things; God does great things through surrendered people."

"As much as I want an umbrella drink by an ocean somewhere, I just as much want to never waste a minute."

"Don't bother waiting around for a unique voice to come out of the sky.  We move, respond, love, and obey.  And as we go, God leads humble souls who are willing to be led."

I think most people who love the Lord want be doing something that matters for Him here on earth and this book is just so practical in showing how to find out what that is and then DO it.  Your calling may be in an orphanage in Uganda, it may be adopting a child, it may be leading a Bible study in your office or starting a non-profit.  But it also may be in a messy kitchen fixing peanut butter sandwiches for your babies or even stuck in a place or job you don't love.  Those less glamorous callings are just as important as the others.  It just reminded me that God has placed me here and in this time and I need make His name great to the people and the world I am walking through each day.

"This is about how we spend our minutes and our days.  Because eventually, our minutes and days equal our lives."

I think what I loved about the book the most is that it reinforced that we all MATTER. My calling isn't  big or glamorous but I just want to be faithful in this place and position God has put me in.

Two of my favorite blog posts about this very thing are here and here.


So...I just wanted to share this with you today.  If you are wondering what God wants you to do and how you can make His name great in your little world, this book is for you.  It's super practical and it reminds us that we are all important and we all  have a job to do.  I loved it.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I have been on the fence about reading this book and now I've decided that I should.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)