Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014

It's 2014!  We had a good New Year's Eve.  It was nothing big, which is fine with me.   We just went out to dinner at PF Chang's.


We had such a good time looking back at 2013 and talking about all our memories and all the ways we had been blessed.  Then we came home and watched Hoda and Kathie Lee's 2013 in review.  I don't even think we stayed awake to watch the ball drop, but I fell asleep with a thankful heart and ready for whatever 2014 has in store!

Do you make New Year's Resolutions?  I don't really do that anymore.  Of course, I think it's important to reflect on your life and always be improving, and I still set goals for myself throughout the year, just not all on  Dec. 31st!  My goals are pretty broad and seem to stay consistent from year to year anyway.  I mainly want to love the Lord and grow closer to Him, love my family and friends well, and use my gifts and talents to honor God and hopefully make the world a better place.  

Reading more is always on my goal list throughout the year, too.  I have been asking my friends lately what their favorite books were that they read in 2013 and I got so many good recommendations!  I have added a few of those to my reading list this year.  So many people told me that  Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand was really good, so I would like to read that one.  And I just ordered Candace Cameron Bure's new book Balancing It All.


Yesterday was New Years Day and we didn't do a whole lot except watch South Carolina play football.  We were trying to get Laura ready to go back to Boston.


She went back to FRIGID temperatures.  I think the high there today was 12 degrees and they are expecting 18 inches of snow!  Brrrrr!!  Laura has a whole new set of challenges in Boston like walking to the grocery store in the snow and shoveling her driveway.  When you are from the south,  you never even think about doing anything like that, so it is going to be an interesting first winter there.

Since Steve and Lindy are both sick, I decided not to make my usual pork chops with collard greens and black eyed peas last night.  Instead I made a big pot of chicken noodle soup.  I use Paula Deen's recipe and it is really good.  We watched a movie and just hung out at home.


It is a cold, rainy day here today, but I couldn't stay inside another day, so I put on my nice warm Uggs and went to my classroom to get a little work done.  I am making our New Years Day dinner a day late with some chocolate chip cookies for dessert.


This break has been so nice.  I am looking forward to 3 more relaxing days!!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely start to the yea (although I hope Lindy and Steve are feeling much better now). Happy New Year, and thank you as ever fo your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apologies for the missing 'r' on a few of those words! My keyboard is playing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to the best year yet! Happy 2014 with health and strength too:) Hope everybody is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)