Sunday, October 6, 2013

Birthday Weekend & Other Stuff

Today was my sweet hubby's birthday.  We had a little party at our house after church for him.


He loves having everyone come over and getting to spend time with his family.  I think he wanted that more than anything really.  We just got BBQ take-out and I made his favorite carrot cake.  I love to cook, but cake baking is definitely not my thing.  That little cake was very "homemade" looking.  Haha!


But at least it tasted good!  I have used several different recipes for carrot cake and this one is pretty much fool-proof!  Everyone always loves it.  I thought I would share it with you in case you are looking for a good recipe.

Carrot Cake

2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. salad oil (or applesauce)
4 eggs
2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
2 t. soda
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
2 large jars baby food carrots

Blend oil & sugar, add eggs, sift dry ingredients & mix.  Add carrots & vanilla.  Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

Frosting:

1 stick margarine
1 8 oz. cream cheese
1 box confectioners sugar
1 t. milk
2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. pecans
Melt butter, add cream cheese & blend.  Add sugar & vanilla.  Ice cake & sprinkle with finely chopped pecans.

I decided to get Steve tickets to see Michael Buble at the end of the month. We both love Michael Buble.  Steve didn't think he would like him, but I got him to go to a concert with me a few years ago and he was sold.  Now he loves him, too!   I think we will have fun doing that!

The past few weeks have been full of lots of activities and get-togethers.  Last weekend Mark came home and my neighbor Candy and I gave a little dinner party for another one of our other neighbors who is getting married.



Our neighbors, Carol and Steve, are like family to us and their kids have grown up with our kids.  Next weekend, Bobby, their oldest son is getting married, so we had to celebrate & do something for him before his big day!


So Candy and I made Mexican food ...


...and we had a good time hanging out with the kids that were able to come.  I love them!

Last night we got together with some of the guys on Steve's Fantasy Football team.  They all go to our church and the wife of one of the guys on the team has been diagnosed with lung and bone cancer.  We got together for dinner and just to pray over her.  It was a sweet time.  I hope she felt encouraged and loved.

The past few weeks have been pretty intense just getting adjusted to school.  I love my class, but getting back into the school routine can be so busy and exhausting.  This past week seemed really long and stressful to me and I was so ready for Friday to get here.  When I drove into the parking lot early Friday morning, this is what the sky looked like.


It made me think of this Bible verse from Lamentations:

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
his mercies never come to and end; they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.  -Lamentations 3:22-23

I love what I do, but I have to remember to have balance in my life and not work too many long hours.
Speaking of school, my kids are totally into these rubber band loom bracelets right now, so I had to take a picture of them showing them off.  #thirdgradefad


Meanwhile, we have been trying to sneak in a date or two...



We've also been watching lots of Homeland (Seasons 1 & 2), trying to get caught up.  We love that show and are pretty much addicted now.  It's also cool that it is filmed right here in Charlotte!  I wish we had Showtime so we could watch the current season!  I need to figure out a way to do that.

And we've been trying to spend as much time as we can with these two cuties...




That is pretty much what we've been up to the last few weeks, but the last thing I wanted to share today is just a little bit of encouragement.  I wanted to share this blog post with you because it is one of my very favorites ever by my friend Kelly.  It is about how God uses EVERYONE.  He uses big names and Christian "celebrities" and he uses the "every day man"--the one who is not a celebrity and not a super star, but they are faithfully doing whatever God has called them  to do day in and day out.  I think the majority of people fall into the second category, so if you feel like what you are doing for the Lord doesn't matter very much, this will be an encouragement to you!

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend full of lots of good things!

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your husband! Thank you for the carrot cake recipe. My daughter's birthday is the 18th, and I am going to make this for her. Carrot cake is one of the few cakes she likes and I love that this is made with baby food carrots! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at those cute babies! :) Thanks for sharing your cake recipe - might have to try that one! I think we are going to have to check out Homeland for ourselves too -- what did we do before Netflix? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you have some great baby news! I know YOU remember those days of lots of little ones! Your family is beautiful! Love seeing all your pics! I pray for your students at CC as I pray for my girls!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)