Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Pacific Northwest-Part 1

Last week, we got to go on a fun trip to the Pacific Northwest.  Steve's company is based out of Portland, and I have been out there with him a few times, but we thought it would be fun to take Mark and Lindy with us this time since they've never been.  Our kids are all grown up now and I know that we have very few chances left to go on vacations with them before they are out on their own.  Laura is already on her own working in Boston and Ashley is married with kids.  Mark leaves for Washington, DC next week to begin law school and Lindy is on the job search as we speak, so I don't think it will be long before we are back to just the two of us.

We flew out on Thursday night and our first stop was Portland.  Here we are on the flight being silly together...


Portland is such a fun city.  It is super active with a funky, artsy vibe.  It is known as America's "greenest city" with lots of fun restaurants and shopping.  It's easy to feel healthy there because so many people are eating organic and biking, kayaking, and hiking all around you.  If you lived there, you could easily get on board with a healthy lifestyle!  Steve had to work on Friday, so Mark, Lindy, and I were on our own for most of the day.  We ate at Little River Cafe for breakfast.  It is down on the waterfront and one of my favorite places near our hotel.  There was a cute little group of senior citizens right outside with their life jackets on and paddles in hand getting ready to go out on the water.  They looked like they were having the best time talking and laughing together.  I hope I'm that active when I get to be that age!





After breakfast, we strolled around the city and we went to Powell's City Of Books which was seriously the most gigantic bookstore I have ever seen or been to!  We could have spent hours in there!  It was a fun place to browse.


We just walked around in Portland most of the morning, browsing and shopping and hanging out.


We ate lunch somewhere in downtown.  I forgot the name of the restaurant, but I know I got an eggplant parmesan sandwich! :)





Later in the afternoon, we headed back to the hotel to meet Steve and drive to Seaside Beach for the night.  We got to Seaside Beach in time to see the sunset and eat dinner and go to bed.





The next day we went to Cannon Beach, OR.  That was the most interesting beach I have ever seen.







It has huge rocks just jutting out of the coast and as we were walking, we noticed that lots of the rocks were covered with starfish, sea anemones, and barnacles that were all living.  I have never seen a live starfish that close up in its natural environment.  It was so interesting!!





Cannon Beach also has the cutest little town right there.  We had fun browsing around in all the little shops and getting coffee.  We ate lunch at a place called Pizza a Fetta.  If you are ever in Cannon Beach,  you need to stop there.  It was so good and the owner was very friendly!  He stopped by our table and chatted with us for a long time and made us feel so welcome!


When we left Cannon Beach, we drove to Seattle.  That is such a fun city.  I loved the waterfront area.  We spent a lot of time there the first night.  One of the things we did on the waterfront was ride a huge ferris wheel that overlooked the city at night.  It was a lot of fun!




The next day we got up and went to Pike Place Market.






We went to the fish market and browsed around all the flower shops and fresh food stands, and, of course, we had to get coffee from the original Starbucks!  It is pretty basic really but it was neat to say we had been there.


For lunch, we rode a ferry to Bainbridge Island.  From there, you can see the skyline of Seattle.





Bainbridge Island is really quaint and cute.




We ate right on the waterfront and I got a yummy hamburger!


I wish we would have had more time there, but we had to get on the road to head to Vancouver, British Columbia.

I will tell you more about Vancouver soon since it would probably make this post a little too long!  :)  I am so glad we got to go on this trip together.  There are lots of ways you can spend your money, but one of the ways we feel is important is to travel and see the world and make really good family memories together.  That is one of those things that is irreplaceable and priceless!

4 comments:

  1. Betsy, I have been reading your blog for a while. I'm not sure if I have commented before or not, but I just wanted to thank you for your last paragraph. We have just decided to put our house on the market, so that we can find something else we can pay cash for to free up our money. We want to be good stewards of our money and after giving to the Lord in any way he chooses for us to give, travel is definitely one thing we love and want to do. I love Seattle too. I really want to go to Portland and you just confirmed that for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely pictures of your trip! Looks like a stunning part of the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Looks like y'all had a great time! Loved the rocks at the beach with the starfish! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad our beautiful and quirky city represented itself well (and the weather was good) for your visit!

    Next time you should visit the mountains!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)