Saturday, August 17, 2013

28 Years

Today is our 28th anniversary.  It is pouring down rain here and only in the 60s.  (What happened to August?)  Our wedding day was actually a lot like this.  There was a tropical storm coming through and it rained all day.  It was much warmer that day than it is here today, but I remember my dad being a little stressed that is was so rainy.  And I also remember that I didn't care one bit.  I was just so happy that we were finally getting married!  We started dating when we were 16, so it seemed like I had to wait forever for that day to arrive.  I used to feel like the Beach Boys song, "Wouldn't It Be Nice" was our theme song!  I couldn't wait to get to spend every day with Steve and then when the day was over, we would still get to stay together!  That sounded like heaven to me.  And it was every bit as good as I thought it would be.  Of course, every marriage has its ups and downs and no marriage is perfect.  But even after 28 years, we are still having fun together and I am still so glad we get to spend every day and every night together!  (Cheesy, I know.  But it's the truth!)


This week was Back To School week for me.  It is always such a busy time of year.  I had to go back to work on Wednesday and every day has been spent getting my classroom set up and attending meetings.  I have the best group of people to work with though, so that makes it more fun.  I am so blessed to have such a wonderful place to work.

I had to move classrooms this year, and I am in a MUCH smaller room.  It was a challenge to organize my room in a way that would maximize the space, but I feel pretty good about how it turned out.  Here is a picture of what it looks like.


The best part of this week is that we get to come in a little later and we can go out to lunch.  I always have fun catching up with all my teacher friends over a nice lunch somewhere instead of a noisy cafeteria where I eat most of the year.  One day I met Ashley and Lindy at Chick Fil A.  Ashley brought David and Caroline since CFA is their favorite!  We were laughing that Lindy meets the height requirement to play on the playground!  :)


David was so excited that he got a cow watch!


Today was Meet The Teacher Day.  That is when I get to meet all my students and their parents and they all get to meet me.  It is always fun to start putting names with faces and start learning who everyone is.  Steve took this picture when I got home.


I am looking forward to a good year.  The other day, my sweet friend Caroline put these words on her Facebook page and they so resonated with me because this is exactly how I feel each year.

Last day of summer break. Tomorrow I go back to start my 10th year of teaching High school art. I can hardly believe it. I've shared this before but every year the same Nichole Nordeman song settles in my heart & I begin to pray this chorus.....
"I want to leave a legacy 
How will they remember me? 
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough 
To make a mark on things? 
I want to leave an offering 
A child of mercy and grace who blessed your name unapologetically 
And leave that kind of legacy"

I get 1 year. 1 year to pour everything I have into a huge set of students that I KNOW The Lord hand picked just for me. So my prayer each year is that I point to HIM enough to make a mark on things. 1 year... Believer, non-believer and all the religions in between.... I want to leave a legacy. Not wasting time, not withholding... Just choosing to love. ...... This year is yours Lord. Make me a fragrance that draws them to you. Protect and guard me. Use me up and flow out of me great love for each student! What an honor it is to represent you!!! Thank you thank you!!! Amen


I wanted to tell you one more thing before I go.  My daughter Lindy has a new blog that she is super excited about.  She was a fashion major in college and she wrote fashion columns at East Carolina University for their school's newspaper The East Carolinian as well as being the style guru for College Fashionista!  She has also had experience working for magazines and has even been published in USA Today!  She loves talking all about the latest trends in the fashion world along with just regular stuff going on in her life.  I know nothing about the fashion world, so she keeps me up to date on everything.  I am very proud of her and just wanted to share her blog with you.  You can follow her at TrendyLindy.com.


4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!

    My oldest grand missed meeting her teacher today because she's been sick with a virus....she starts K5 there this year! I pray she has a teacher who loves her job and students as much as YOU do! So thankful for you teachers!

    I am following Lindy's blog...she is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary! Love the pictures of you both. It's almost back to school time here in the UK too - looking forward to getting organised!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary and happy back-to-school week! James is just a little older than David and he was beside himself with the cow watch last week, too. And then I saw an 8 year old wearing one so it really must be a hit for all ages. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary a little late:) and here's to another school year thats awesome! Love the pics too you have such a talented great family!! love lindy's blog too how fun!! Have a great week:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)