Friday, April 5, 2013

Books Are The Best!

Today I am linking up with Kelly to talk about my favorite children's books.  Books are probably one of my favorite things in the world and I have always loved to read!  My parents have lots of pictures of me sitting and reading as a little girl and I still love to do it today.  I wish I had more time for it, but when I am off in the summer, I try to read as much as I can.

I am so glad that all my kids are big readers, too.  They always loved to read and be read to as they were growing up so we had tons of children's books in our house.  Plus, I am an elementary school teacher, so I am always on the lookout for good books for kids.

I teach third grade right now, so I thought I would share some of my favorite books for that age!

One of the books that my class has loved this year is Pippi Longstocking!  I used it as a read-aloud every afternoon and my kids couldn't wait until it was time to read every day!

 
Another one we loved was Henry Huggins.  We did this one as a novel study together.


Beverly Cleary is definitely one of my very favorite children's authors and I read all her books when I was little like Henry and Ribsy, Ramona the Pest, Ramona Quimby, Age 8, and The Mouse and the Motorcycle.  She is the best!  When I visited Portland, OR this summer with Steve on a business trip, I really wanted to go see her house on Klickitat Street but we didn't have enough time.  That is on my bucket list, though!  :)

I also have to include all the Little House On The Prairie books. 


I don't read those with my class because I think they mostly appeal to girls, but they are classics to me and I'm pretty sure I read every single one of them when I was growing up.  And then the TV show came out and I was addicted to that!

My very favorite children's book ever in the whole world is Charlotte's Web.  Enough said, right?


For boys, I would recommend the Encyclopedia Brown series or the Matt Christopher sports books.  And for girls, the Clementine books are a big hit in my class.  Lots of my boys and girls also like the Humphrey series.

 
And, I know some parents don't love Harry Potter, but for my kids it was probably the one book that turned them on to reading more than any other.  It was such a big part of their childhood that they even re-read them over and over today! 



Even though third graders are very into chapter books, but they still love a good picture book and being read aloud to!  So every year I read tons of books aloud to my class to teach them reading and writing strategies.  Here are a few of my very favorite read-alouds...

When I Was Young In The Mountains by Cynthia Rylant. 


Honestly, anything by Cynthia Rylant is amazing.  But I think I can relate to this one especially since I spent lots of time when I was young with my grandparents in the mountains of North Carolina.

Patricia Polacco is another wonderful author.  We just did an author study on her, in fact!  My two favorite books by her are Thank You, Mr. Falker and The Art of Miss Chew.  But my kids loved My Rotten Red-Headed Older Brother.


And I Wanna Iguana by Karen Kaufman Orloff is THE perfect book to teach persuasive writing.


Goodness...I could probably sit here and name book after book that I love!  I just love books!  I can't wait to see everyone else's list because I know I will get some new good ideas!

10 comments:

  1. So many great books! Charlotte's Web still makes me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte's Web is the BEST! I remember back in elementary school (before we had moved to NC) that I had a teacher, MISS Champia, and even in 5th grade she would read to us every afternoon. It was one of the best parts of the day...A Wrinkle in Time was my favorite And the Chronicles of Narnia. Ahhh - the joys of a BOOK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love children's books! I just read the Anne of Green Gables books again as an adult and they were still just as good as I remembered. :) I agree about Charlotte's Web. Such a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many good ones. My son and I read Charlotte's Web together a couple summers ago. We read at night before bed and are reading the first Humphrey book now, it is cute. He is a huge reader and I'm so glad! This is my book review blog:
    http://readwithyourchild.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Charlotte's Web too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always loved Beverly Cleary books

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading growing up, too- still do! I adore Ramona and Pippi Longstocking! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a 3rd grade granddaughter and so appreicate your list...some of which I knew about but glad to learn of more titles. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved all of the titles and series that you mentioned, especially Patricia Polacco. I actually got to meet her when I was in elementary school. She came to my school and did an assembly. What a wonderful woman! I am currently finishing up my sophomore year of college in Elementary Education and I've already done lesson plans using her books. Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the things I loved most about school was listening to my teachers read. I loved Pippi Longstocking!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)