Monday, December 31, 2012

Goodbye 2012!

Last New Year's Eve I posted about what a hard year 2011 had been for our family and how I had high hopes that 2012 would be much better. Well...it was!! Praise the Lord, our lives seemed back to normal this year and we had a really smooth, non-eventful year. I am so thankful for that.

Each year for the past few years, I have had fun looking back over the previous 12 months and recounting all the ups and downs. I found some questions on a friend's blog one year that I liked and I have been using them ever since. So...New Year's Eve has rolled around again and I just wanted to take a minute to look back on 2012!


1-What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
*Visited Portland, Oregon(which I loved!)


*Made my first homemade strawberry-rhubarb pie.


*Was part of a flash mob!
*Discovered Downton Abbey & Instagram.

2-Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, but Ashley found out she is expecting baby #2!


3-Did anyone close to you die?
No one really close to me died this year, thankfully. But it did seem like there were so many young people who died this year. It seemed like a sad year because of that.

4-What dates from 2012 will remain etched in your memory and why?
I will always remember Mark's graduation from NC State. We were so proud of him!


We were also so excited for Laura this year. She interned at Digitas in Boston and then ended up getting hired there!


And I will always remember calling our new pastor, Alex Kennedy, to our church and all the neat stories and ways that God led that whole process. So thankful he is here!

5-Did you suffer any illness or injury?
Thankfully I have been pretty healthy this year! So glad I have been protected from all the stomach viruses and flu out there.

6-What was the best thing you bought?
My Kindle Fire! I love it and use it all the time!


7-Where did most of your money go?
Most of our money continues to go to our kids' college and feeding this crew! That is all about to change soon, though!

8-What song will always remind you of 2012?
I think Pontoon by Little Big Town is always and forever going to remind me of David. He loves that song and every time it comes on he starts dancing to it and making us laugh. He loves for us to stand around him in a circle and he's in the middle doing all his moves. It's the cutest thing ever.

Big Green Tractor by Jason Aldean. Need I say more??


If we put this on You Tube, David becomes mesmerized!

Good Night by Gloriana. Steve and I must have heard this a million times on our trip to Portland this summer. It reminds me of the day we spent driving up to Mt. Hood and going to Hood River and all the fun we had!

Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen. That is just a fun song. I always think about the US Olympic Swim Team when I hear it!



9-What do you wish you'd done more of/less of?
I am noticing a theme here that every year I wish I would have blogged more! I need to work on that again. And each year I want to try and spend more time reading my Bible and in prayer. I want to grow closer to God every year that I live!


10-What was your favorite TV program?
My new favorite is Downton Abbey...


but I also still love Hoda and Kathie Lee and Amazing Race. Over the summer I LOVED NY Med. And I have heard that Parenthood is really good. I think I'm going to catch up on all the old seasons and maybe try to watch that this year!

11-What is the best book you read this year?
One of my goals this past year was to read more and I actually did it!! Woo hoo! I think I have read about 10 or more books this year and that is an accomplishment for me since I am so busy.

The best book I read this year was Same Kind Of Different As Me--hands down. I absolutely loved it!


12-What was your favorite movie this year?
Hmmmm....I really liked Les Miserable, but I think Argo might have been my favorite.


Honestly, I didn't think there were that many good movies out this year.

13-What did you do on your birthday? How old were you?
Apparently birthdays are becoming less and less important to me because I didn't blog about it again this year and I have no clue what we did! Haha! I do know I turned 48.

14-Did you travel anywhere this year?
Yes, we went on a Maddox Family trip to Europe this summer which was really fun.


Steve and I went to Florida and Portland...


Boston...


and twice to the NC Mountains.



It was a fun travel year.

15-What national event stirred you the most?
Unfortunately, I will never forget the Sandy Hook shooting this December. It really feels like the world has spun out of control sometimes and it makes me so sad. I am so thankful for a God who is here with us and comforts those who are in pain.


Also, the 2012 Election was important and memorable.


Plus, I loved the Summer Olympics in London! That was so much fun to watch!!


16-Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
This year I am reminded of what a good God we have. He just showers my life with so many blessings. Anytime I feel sad or down, I remember His love and faithfulness and focus on all He has done for me and I am humbled and so grateful. I am praying that 2013 will be another year of learning and growing closer to Him.

5 comments:

Jill said...

I always enjoy your commentary...looks like a great year!

Emily said...

Totally agree with you - loved Argo, Same Kind of Different as Me, & Pontoon! :)

Happy New Year!

His Doorkeeper said...

Great thoughts for the end of the year Betsy. May your beautiful family continue to be blessed with His Love and Grace in the coming New Year!

Lana said...

Great post! :) David is growing so fast!

petrii said...

Your commentary of the year is so fun!!

David is a Hoot!!!!! Grandbabes are just that GRAND!!!

I hope your 2013 is Blessed and Beautiful dear Betsy ~~ dawn