Friday, July 13, 2012

Southern Living

Today I'm going to share a little bit of my southern pride. Even though I have lived in the south my whole life, I never really think much about where I'm from and where I live. It's just my life and who I am! But today I just thought I would share what I love about living here. I hope you understand I'm not trying to brag, I'm just thankful! :)


I was born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. From there I moved to Waco, Texas. Then it was on to Nashville, Tennessee. After that, I moved to Columbia, Tennessee and then to Charlotte, North Carolina. All those places and people have shaped me and even though I may travel all over the world, I will always be so glad I grew up in what is, in my opinion, the best area in the world!

Let me share with you a few reasons why I love where I live.

1-The food!
We have some of the BEST food in the world here. There are the usuals like fried chicken, sweet tea, and barbeque. But we also have so many other yummy things like fried green tomatoes, okra, cornbread and beans, deviled eggs, catfish, Louisiana gumbo, country ham, grits, South Carolina peaches, vidalia onions, and hushpuppies. I have shelves full of church cookbooks with some of the best recipes you've ever put in your mouth. And, hey...we have Paula Deen! haha In the summer growing up, I remember lots of Sunday nights after church having a homemade ice cream social or a watermelon bust. And potluck dinners on the grounds were some of my favorite memories, too. If anybody has a baby, gets sick, or dies, you can count on some of the best food ever to show up at the door. And lots of it! Good southern cooking just makes anybody feel better!


2-The people
Here in the south, for the most part, people are just friendly and polite! Everybody waves when they drive by, you hear a lot of yes ma'am's and no sir's, pleases and thank yous. You wouldn't think twice about being called "honey" or "sweetie" by a total stranger! When you stop by a friend's house, they invite you in and offer you something to eat. We love to hang out with our neighbors and family is everything. I'm sure that's true in many areas of the country, but it's still a huge part of the way we live here.


3-Faith
If you grew up in the south, chances are you grew up knowing and loving the Lord. You were probably active in your local church and were taught to live your life according to the way God would want you to live. I love how there are churches on every corner and in small towns you can hear church bells ring on Sunday mornings.
In the south, you probably brought your babies to church from the time they were three weeks old and you grew up going to church camp, VBS, and singing in the church choir.


Some of my favorite preachers in the world are from the south. Billy Graham, Chuck Swindoll, and Charles Stanley are all great men of faith whose roots go deep here. In the south, you probably grew up having a big Sunday lunch at your grandmother's house after church and the blessing was said before every meal.

4-Beauty
I love how diverse the south is. We have beautiful beaches and the Appalachian mountains. We have gigantic live oaks


and magnolia trees.


We have dogwoods and palmetto trees. We have the rolling hills of Tennessee and the muddy Mississippi River. There is lots of sunshine here and just the right amount of rain. And since snow is pretty rare, we close everything down and really enjoy it for a few days before it all melts and we go back to normal.

5-Movies
I was just thinking about my favorite movies the other day when I was trying to find something to watch. And I never realized it before, but probably my three favorite movies in the world were set in the south!

1-Places In The Heart-my favorite movie of all time. (This one is set in Texas and reminds me so much of where I lived and my grandparents' lives!)


2-Forrest Gump (set in Alabama, although the real set was in Savannah, GA.) I never get tired of this movie.


3-Walk The Line (set in Nashville). Of course I would love this movie. It has Reese Witherspoon in it and it took place right where I grew up. If you lived in Nashville, you listened to Johnny Cash!


These are also some of my very favorite movies set in the south. I can so relate to all of them:

The Blind Side
Steel Magnolias
Driving Miss Daisy
Sweet Home Alabama
A Time To Kill
The Help
Coal Miner's Daughter



5-Country Music
I love lots of different kinds of music, but I have a special place in my heart for country music. I love me some Carrie Underwood, Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Tim McGraw, Zac Brown Band, and Keith Urban!


Country music is the soundtrack of the south. Their songs tell the stories of our lives and many times we feel like they are singing about us.

6-SEC Football, ACC Basketball, and The Braves
We have some of the best college football and basketball around. And a summer night spent at a Braves game is the best! It is so much fun having lots to cheer about no matter what season it is!


So....that's a little bit about why I love where I live. Thank you for indulging me. I love to hear all about the places other people live, too, so anytime you do a post like that, let me know!!

14 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

I love this post Betsy!!! All of these things are so true and what makes me love being a North Carolina girl! Thanks for the post!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Betsy,

The place that my kids are growing up is so very different than the south that I was raised in. On our recent vacation to the gulf coast, my kids kept commenting on how friendly everyone was. John and I just smiled and told them that's how people are down south. I love it and miss it--especially the people and the FOOD! :)

The Garners said...

Love this post! I love the South and can't imagine living anywhere else. My childhood sounds very similar to yours.

Lana said...

I love, love, love this post. It seriously just made me smile. :) I actually have that saying about the South (picture #1) on a plaque in my kitchen. :) Love the South!

Jennifer said...

I love this post!! It made my southern heart happy! :)

Rachel said...

I couldn't agree more....especially with #1 about the food!

Christal said...

I love this post!!! Loved driving and seeing the south its people all of it in 2006 we drove from here to florida all through the south on the way back by far my favorite part of the trip!! I love your ways your faith and love of God and in general happy serving people !! Love it all!!! You are awesome!!

Lauren said...

I just love this post, Betsy!!!!!!! :)

Vonda said...

What a wonderful post of praise to the south! I am a Kentucky girl, but spent three years living in North Carolina. I share your appreciation for all things southern.

Alex and Jill said...

I love the South and I love this post. Oh, and I love you!!

This post made me smile. :)

Meagan said...

There really is nothing like growing up in the South and there truly is no where else I would want to live or raise my family!! Reading about some of my favorite Southern dishes made my mouth water!! And the definitino of the South you posted (the first image) is hanging in my living room! I love it and it is SO true!!! :-)

Amanda said...

I borrowed your picture about the south and put a linky to your sweet blog today
xooxoxox
Amanda
www.insuranceoutlaw.com

Amanda said...

I borrowed your picture about the south and put a linky to your sweet blog today
xooxoxox
Amanda
www.insuranceoutlaw.com

Kathy said...

Love your post, I live in deep South Texas.