Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day Trippin'

Last night we just made a spur of the moment decision that we would wake up and go to the mountains today. We don't have any kids here and we may as well take advantage of that, right?

We hardly ever do anything really spontaneous like that because we always seem to have so much going on here at home, but I'm glad we got to go today. We woke up really early and got on the road so we could have as much time there as possible.

One of the best parts of the whole trip was just riding in the car together! We had our sun roof open and we listened to all our favorite music and just talked the whole way. It seemed like we got up there so fast!


I love the mountains for lots of reasons. First of all, my grandparents lived in the mountains in Franklin, North Carolina. I grew up spending lots of time and many summers there so the mountains just remind me of my childhood. Plus I went to Ridgecrest Baptist Convention Center so many summers growing up. It is in Black Mountain, NC and it was always so much fun spending time there with all my friends from church.

When our kids were really little, we started taking them to Boone and Blowing Rock every year on a family trip in the fall. From there it grew into a yearly trip with two of our neighbors and all their kids. I think we've been going to Boone and Blowing Rock for almost 20 years now. So, needless to say, it holds a special place in our hearts. But really, just getting away from the hustle and bustle of our life here and being somewhere where there is lots of peace and quiet is enough reason to love it!

I have to say that it was a little weird being up there without Laura! She goes to Appalachian State University in Boone so we always see her when we go. We missed her today!

We did some hiking this morning at Linville Falls. It is so pretty with its waterfalls.






Then we hiked up another trail that we love. It overlooks the Blue Ridge Mountains and there is a big rock you can sit on and just enjoy the sunshine and the mountain air.



After that we headed to Blowing Rock for some Woodlands Barbeque! That is a must if you are ever in that area.


And on weekends, they have live music. Today it was bluegrass and we really enjoyed it. These guys were really good!


We walked around the town of Blowing Rock after lunch. It has so many quaint little stores and restaurants that we love. Steve had to stop by Kilwin's Fudge Shop for a little something sweet!


We had planned on staying longer, but a storm was coming. The sky was getting really dark and we were afraid we would get stuck in the rain, so we went ahead and headed back home around 2:30. It's a good thing we did, because on our way home, it poured.

It was such a nice day. I am looking forward to going back this fall when the leaves change and Laura is back!

7 comments:

Deidre said...

Ahhhhh ... you know I LOVE Blowing Rock. I would love for us to retire there one day. No place like it. You'll have to tell me the 2nd place you hiked. Where is that?

Glad you made the trip. I'm sure you came REALLY close to my house. We'll have to meet up one day!

Jodi said...

It's neat to hear that your grandparents lived in Franklin! I grew up about 25 min from there (in GA) and it was one of the "bigger" towns we went to for shopping. Ha! I was just that way last weekend in Highlands and stopped by the Kilwin's there for treats. Yum!

Lauren said...

Just beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sitesx6 said...

Hi Betsy-
I love your blog (I've been following you for over a year - I think this is the first time I've said hello)

I was just in Boone last month (I'm from Michigan). I had to go to Samaritan's Purse for training (I'm a rapid response international disaster nurse with Samaritan's Purse) and I just loved being there so much. I wish I would have had time to tour the area and see all of the beautiful sights. I know I missed so much- but we had no extra time-beyond the training. :)

Blessings
Kelly

Meagan said...

Looks wonderful!!! I love the mountains of Tennessee AND North Carolina!!

Emily said...

Beautiful pictures!! Looks like a great place to visit! Would you say the fall is the best time to go? That would be a nice road trip for me and my hubby!! It's not too terribly far from Kentucky. :)

Love Being A Nonny said...

I love this post! We use to go to Blowing Rock every year too! Have you ever eaten at Village Cafe??? It's my favorite!