Monday, March 12, 2012

What's Goin' On

Well, I survived my week all alone. Actually it didn't turn out too bad. Laura and Lindy were both home for a few days with me. Lindy was at the end of her spring break and Laura was starting hers, so they crossed paths for a little while.



We had fun having a few girls' nights at Bad Daddy's on Thursday night and Pei Wei on Friday night. I love my girls! They are such a joy to me.

Steve got home around 1:30 am on Saturday morning so he was pretty exhausted all day Saturday. We didn't do a whole lot except watch basketball. Both of our teams, NC State and UNC lost in the ACC Tournament. But...they are both in the NCAA Tournament, so that is fun. We love March Madness at our house and it always reminds me of when Mark was born. His birthday is March 25th and it was right in the middle of March Madness. The whole time I was in labor, Steve was watching ball games. Haha! And Mark grew up to love basketball, so it's kind of fitting!

Yesterday we had church and then Ashley and David came by for a while. It was such a pretty day. David loves being outside and I had bought him some bubbles to play with so we had a good time. Lots of our neighbors came by to chat and visit while we were sitting outside, too, so it was a fun afternoon.






Last night we went over to our next door neighbors' house to eat some cake and celebrate their son, Michael's birthday. He is turning 22 just like Mark. He and Mark are best friends and Michael is almost like another son to me. Goodness...time has gone by so fast. When we moved here, Mark and Michael were 10 years old. Now they are all grown up. *sniff, sniff*

Anyway...my neighbor had the BEST cake that I've had in a while. She told me it was from Taste Of Home magazine and I found the recipe so I can make it again. I am not a cake person, but this really was delicious!

Southern Chocolate Torte

Ingredients
•1 package (18-1/4 ounces) Swiss chocolate or devil's food cake mix
•1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
•3 eggs
•1-1/4 cups milk
•1/2 cup canola oil
•FROSTING:
•1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
•1 cup sugar
•1 cup confectioners' sugar
•10 milk chocolate candy bars with almonds (1.45 ounces each), divided
•1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed

Directions
•In a large bowl, sift the cake and pudding mixes. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and oil. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended.
• Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
• In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugars until smooth. Finely chop eight candy bars; stir into cream cheese mixture. Fold in whipped topping.
• Spread frosting on cake plate, between layers and over the top and sides of the cake. Chop the remaining candy bars; sprinkle over top and along bottom edge of cake. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.


If you like cake (especially chocolate!), you will love it. Promise!

Now it is back to Monday and the work week. My house is quiet again and all my kids are gone, but my hubby is back and it's going to be a good week!

4 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to try it. I'm not a big cake person either. I usually prefer pies, but you made it sound sooo good! David is so cute!!!!!

Angie said...

That cake recipe sounds yummy, thanks for sharing!!!

Enjoy your week :)

Claire said...

Oh, I love that quote! How perfect!

Bear Girl said...

Oh, that recipe sounds good. Love hearing your stories about family. I envy you, I am an only child!