Monday, February 13, 2012

Is Monday Again Already?

How was your weekend? Ours was really nice. We got our kitchen painted! Steve worked hard on it all day Saturday, but it still has a few little touches to add before I share it.

Friday night it was cold here, so I just made a big pot of vegetable soup and we stayed in and watched Moneyball.


I had no idea what it was about, but I really liked it! I had heard mixed reviews about it, but to me it was really interesting. And my brother recently got to meet the real Billy Beane(the General Manager of the Oakland A's who is Brad Pitt's character in the movie), so that made it even more intriguing to me.

Our neighbor, Melissa, who is like another daughter to me spent the night with us Friday and Saturday since her parents were out of town, so we got to chat and catch up for a while with her.

Friday night I looked at my phone and USA Today had breaking news that Whitney Houston had died. That made me so sad.


I hate when someones life is destroyed by drugs and celebrity. I loved her music back in high school...I Wanna Dance With Somebody, I Have Nothing, Saving All My Love For You, I Believe In You and Me...all those were my favorites! I really think she may have had the best voice of the past 50 years or more. I still get chills listening to her sing The Star Spangled Banner! Oh my goodness. It's just so sad.

Saturday it was absolutely freezing here and sooo windy. Steve painted all day. His mom even came over to help. And I just ran errands and hung out around the house. Ashley brought David over for a little while so we could play with him and kiss him to death.


We went out for pizza with Steve's mom Saturday night and then came home to our warm house and our pajamas!

Did you watch the Grammys last night? I thought it was really good and I was so glad Adele won and not Lady Gaga! My favorite performances were The Beach Boys and I loved The Band Perry singing Gentle On My Mind.



I know I am old and not with it, but I love Glen Campbell. I have to say, though, I was nervous watching him sing. I feel so bad that he has Alzheimer's now. It was kind of like watching Dick Clark do New Year's Rockin' Eve! I kept thinking he was going to forget the words. But he did good! Anyway...I thought Jennifer Hudson did an amazing job, too! And Carrie Underwood won for best dressed in my opinion (like she always does!)

Now we're back to Monday and I wish we would get some snow tonight, but it looks like it's just going to be rain. Boo! Before I go, I wanted to share a realllly good recipe I just so happened to come across yesterday. I was looking for something light and healthy and I found this Weight Watchers recipe and I loved it. I served mine with rice pilaf and sauteed spinach. It was delish!

Chicken with Balsamic Vinegar, Sweet Onions and Thyme



3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp table salt, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, divided
1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), four 4 oz pieces
2 tsp olive oil
1 small uncooked vidalia onion(s), cut in half lengthwise, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
1 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp thyme, fresh, chopped, or less to taste
2 tsp salted butter

On a plate, combine flour, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Dredge chicken in flour mixture and turn to coat; shake off any excess.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, flipping once, until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes; remove to a serving plate and cover to keep warm.

Add onion to skillet; sauté over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add broth, vinegar, thyme and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.

Remove skillet from heat and stir in butter until melted; spoon sauce over chicken. Cover and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Yields 1 chicken breast and about 1/4 cup onion sauce per serving.

Enjoy!!

5 comments:

Michele said...

Hi Betsy! WE go to church with The Band Perry so they are friends of mine. They are SO SWEET and talented! We are thrilled with their success. My nephew traveled with them for a while as their "guitar guy" and now he works for their manager in Nashville doing all of their social networking. I'm glad you liked them! :) Hope you're doing well!

Claire said...

So sad about Whitney. It's so sad how celebrity and addicition can combine and lead to such a horrid conclusion. My friends and I grew up with her music too, an utter star.

Angie said...

Sounds like you all had a fun weekend!
I agree, so sad about Whitney Houston. I guess that goes to prove money & fame can't buy happiness.

Ashley said...

Yum! I'm going to try that recipe!

busanalayali said...

This really is wonderful article ! I simply love’d it !
busana muslim