Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas 2011

We had the best Christmas. I don't know how it happened this year, but other than the week and a half of non-stop events, our Christmas was very relaxed. We all agreed that it seemed low-key and really enjoyable. So yay for that!

One thing I did differently this year was to wrap most of our presents early so that I wasn't stuck in a room wrapping all day on Christmas Eve. Plus we scaled back our budget so there wasn't as much shopping to do. And Laura and Lindy were pretty much my personal little elves this year and helped me do so much! How would I do it without them?

On Christmas Eve we went to an afternoon service at church. Normally David goes to the nursery, but Ashley brought him into church this time and he did so good!






After church, we always go over to Steve's sister Debbie's house for soup and chili. She is sweet to host us every year. We had fun visiting with Steve's family and eating some good food!










We didn't stay too long this year, though, since they were going to another service after dinner. We all came home and got in our pajamas and watched some Christmas movies until Santa came. Santa went to bed early this year and got a good night's sleep! (That's the fun of having college age kids, right? Nobody's fighting sleep or getting up at the crack of dawn!)

On Christmas morning, we just took our time opening presents and eating breakfast. I always make a sausage, egg, and cheese casserole that my kids love with some fruit and other breakfast goodies.

Usually my parents come over and join us, but since it was Sunday morning, my dad had to preach, so they came over around 1:00 along with my brother and his family.

















John, Ashley, and David came over later in the afternoon so we could spoil David rotten with toys. It was so much fun this year getting to buy toys and fun stuff instead of just clothes. That seems like all we've been buying for the last few years or so. That and money are all my kids want any more. :)




In between all this, we got to take naps and read and just relax!

Christmas night we went over to Steve's mom's house and had another round of food and fun. She made all kinds of yummy stuff and I brought my strawberry pretzel salad.

Bless David's heart. By the time we got over there, he had been up all day & he was ready for bed! But he did stay up long enough to open some presents and say hi to everyone.






The rest of us had a fun night just hanging out and visiting together. We love our family!
















Christmas is always so much fun, but I have to say I almost love the day or two after Christmas just as much. Sleeping in and sitting around in pajamas almost all day has been so nice. We are so blessed.

I hope your Christmas was wonderful too!

6 comments:

Alex and Jill said...

You already know this but I have to say it...love your family. :) Did I know your Dad was a pastor?? Love that too. Sweet pic of you and your girls. And this year was such a wonderful Christmas for our family too...it was extremely laid back and I LOVED it. Oh, and I usually wrap all night on Christmas Eve and made myself do it earlier this year - so glad I did.

Happy New Year to your sweet family!!

Claire said...

What a lovely set of celebrations! David is just precious. I love checking in on your blog, it always makes me smile!

Faith said...

Your family is just the sweetest! Great pictures of all your celebrations. So glad y'all had a Merry Christmas!

Faith said...

Your family is just the sweetest! Great pictures of all your celebrations. So glad y'all had a Merry Christmas!

Christal said...

Love Christmas! What a beautiful family time! I just love your family! You have such a loving close family I love to see how very much we are all alike! Looks like a perfect christmas HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Love Being A Nonny said...

LOVE how you love your family! And David is adorable!