Sunday, September 4, 2011

Getting Together

The past two weeks have been full of lots of friends and family. I feel so blessed to have good friends in my life. Sometimes when life is busy and I'm going in a million directions, it is hard to make the effort to get together with people I love. But-besides God, of course-they are what matters most to me in life, along with my family, so I don't want to forget to do whatever it takes to keep up with those relationships!

Last Saturday we had a cookout at our house for our Sunday School class (about 30 people.) Steve and I co-teach a class of young married couples along with my parents. It really isn't true that we teach anything. My parents teach it all and Steve and I just host socials and baby showers and help arrange taking meals to people and kind of keep up with everyone.

We had a good time having everyone over. We played corn hole and caught lightening bugs and hung out on our porch and played ping-pong and ate alot! We have such a sweet group of families in our class who love each other and pray for each other and just enjoy being together. One of the couples in our class was leaving the next day to move to San Fransisco, so we were there to say goodbye to them, too. It was a fun night.


The next day, Ashley and I went to a wedding shower for one of Ashley's best childhood friends, Erin. She is getting married in September and we are so happy for her. Her aunt just happens to be a sweet friend of mine since high school and she had the shower at her house. Every time I go to her house, it brings back lots of memories because she babysat for my kids every day after school when they were little. They stayed at her house and played with her two kids until I could get out of school to pick them up. Plus she used to teach kindergarten with me, so we have had some good times together. Anyway....I was glad we got to spend some time celebrating with Erin!






Friday night all my kids came home from college for the long weekend. One of our favorite things to do when everyone is home is to have a big family dinner. So that's what we did! We grilled out some chicken and I made mashed potatoes, salad, green beans, rolls, corn on the cob, and fried squash. Over the summer, my sister-in-law introduced me to the BEST way to fry squash or okra or anything else. It is Zatarain's Shrimp Fry. Trust me, it will make anything you fry taste delicious!! It is my new favorite thing.


Then yesterday we had our first football game of the season! I am so excited that football season has started. Now if the weather would just cooperate! It was extremely hot yesterday & soooo humid. We went with our neighbors and some other friends. We seriously made enough food for an army and pretty much ate like pigs. But that's half the fun, right? East Carolina was playing South Carolina so we were torn about who to pull for. I figured that we were in a Win-Win situation with that one! It was loud and crazy and we sweated like pigs all night, but we still had a great time!




















Tomorrow is Labor Day and we had planned on going up to Boone (up in the mountains) and going hiking and hanging out with Laura. Ashley and John were going to come, too, and bring David. But we just heard it is going to rain all day. I don't think we'll have fun hiking in the rain. So maybe Labor Day is going to be a quiet, cozy kind of day. That is just fine with me!

I hope you all have a nice long weekend!

2 comments:

Meagan said...

Getting together with family and friends is good for the soul! (and so is football, lol). :-) I am glad you have had so much fun this last week or two. Chris and I just got back from spending time with family this weekend and we are planning on a soggy day outside and a cozy day inside... reading, dozing, watching movies, and just relaxing together! :-)

Alex and Jill said...

Looks like fun!! Great pics. Enjoy your quiet, rainy day. :)