Friday, August 26, 2011

It's All Good

Well, I made it through my first full week of school! And it was WONDERFUL. I can't tell you how happy I am at my new school. Here I am on my way out the door on the first day.


The past year and a half has been quite a ride for me. I have learned lots of lessons and grown alot too. I'm not sure why God sent me on the detour that He did, but it helped me meet new friends and it broadened my perspective and I got to do something I have always wanted to do....work with underpriviledged children (which I absolutely LOVED!)


One of the little girls from my class last year actually called me Thursday after her first day of school to tell me all about her day. I thought that was so sweet!

But...not gonna lie...all that growing and all that work being done on my mind and heart was hard on me! It was exhausting mentally and physically. So I'm so thankful that God decided I'd had enough for a while and He brought me back to the school where I am now. (Did I tell you I taught here about 15 years ago?) I finally feel like I am back to my old self again.


This year I have precious, sweet children, amazing co-workers, about 100% less stress, a supportive principal, a huge classroom with any supply I could ever need, and lots of professional freedom. I get to sleep a whole hour and a half later than I did last year. Plus it's all in a Christian environment! That is pretty much a dream come true.

I love that one of the things I get to teach is Bible. It feels so weird to be able to do this since I have been in public school for so long. This week I have been teaching my class how special the Bible is and how we need to treat it with so much love and respect since it is God's special letter to us.


I taught them how to make sure your Bible doesn't stay all nice and neat and perfect. It needs to be worn out and used and written in and underlined. I am teaching them all the books of the Bible and how to find them quickly. We have been learning a little song to help us learn all the books in the Bible and they are already getting it! It has been fun.

This week has also been pretty crazy here in North Carolina. On Tuesday afternoon, I was sitting at my desk in my classroom working on the computer while my kids were at the library. All of a sudden my desk started shaking and my lamp started swaying. The pictures on my file cabinet were hopping up and down. No one else was in the room and I was thinking to myself, "What on earth is that??!! It feels like we're having an earthquake!" But then I thought, "No, we don't have earthquakes in North Carolina!" So then I thought maybe the building was crumbling or something?? Turns out we DO have earthquakes here! And that was my first one ever (and probably my last). Mark texted me about a minute later and said, "Holy cow...did you just feel that earthquake?" And he was all the way in Raleigh...about 2 1/2 hours away! I saw this picture online and it made me laugh. It's about the extent of the earthquake damage here....


But as we speak, Hurricane Irene is headed for the coast of North Carolina where Steve's sister lives. And Lindy and Mark are not too far from there, so I am praying that they will be safe and not get too much damage or flooding.

We have a busy weekend ahead with lots of Fantasy Football stuff for Steve, a big cookout at our house tomorrow night for our Sunday School class, choir and a wedding shower on Sunday. There's always something going on!

I just wanted to share my happiness with y'all and I hope you all have a great weekend, too!!

13 comments:

Stacey said...

So glad your first week went well. Just finished my first week too. I absolutely love my school and the environment. That is so important!

soraya3 ღ said...

AMEN..PASSING BY TO VISIT YOU... YOUR BLOG IS VERY NICE AND ENCOURAGING...LOOKING FOR YOU VISIT ME SOME TIME OK? GOD BLESS YOU SORAYA

Lana said...

I'm so happy for you that you love your school and how much support you get! That is so awesome! I am a tiny bit jealous! Okay, maybe a little more than tiny! :)

steph said...

I'm so glad to hear that your new teaching job has worked out so well. You sound so happy! You mentioned that you taught there 15 years ago. I'm guessing your twins were just toddlers and Ashley and Mark were in primary school. I can't imagine how you managed to teach with 4 children and look after you husband and home all at the same time! It would be so encouraging to those of us trying to juggle it all if you would consider writing a post on the above and how you juggled it all. I hope you don't mind the suggestion.
Stephanie

Meagan said...

I am so happy for you!!! :-) I think this is going to be a wonderful year for you with a lot less stress and that's always a good thing!! :-) I am thinking about your family members on the coast today... hope everyone is safe!!

Christi said...

I'm so happy that your first week was wonderful. I just finished my second week, and I finally feel like I can breathe. I hope your school year is fabulous!

michelle ellis said...

So happy you are loving your new school! I love your dress you wore on your first day!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

I am so...so..so...very happy for you! Praying that as you settle into your new school year...God's peace continues to wrap you like a warm blanket.

Have a great school year.

sl said...

I found your blog from Kelly's. I am a retired elementry teacher from KY so I enjoy reading about your school and family. So glad you are having such a great year.

Christal said...

So happy things are going so good! I need my kids to go to that school with great teachers like you and the bible! Do you say the lords prayer every day too if you do that is awesome!! We need more schools like that! Scary about the earthquake that is crazy!! Crazy weather everywhere I suppose! Well heres to an awesome school year!

Maddox14 said...

The picture is supposed to read something along the lines of "East Coast Earthquake 2011, We will Rebuild"

Jessica said...

Thinking of you and hoping you have a restful weekend!

Love Being A Nonny said...

You looked adorable on your first day!

I mentioned YOU on my blog post today!