Wednesday, July 13, 2011

They Do Come Back

When my kids left for college, you might remember how sad I was. That was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do as a parent! It felt like our life was going to change so much and the dynamic of our home would never been the same.


I knew I would hate seeing their empty chair at the table and miss having all their friends over at our house all the time.


I would miss going to their ball games and pageants and chorus concerts.


Walking past their empty rooms would be awful!


It was the end of an era. As we dropped them off at their respective dorms, I remember watching them walk away with a huge lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. I really hate even remembering it!

Flash forward...it has been two years now since Laura and Lindy left and Mark has been gone for three! Ashley has graduated, gotten married, and has her own baby! And guess what? I lived through it and lived to tell about it. :) And they do come back!


I've had a few people ask me recently how I deal with curfews and rules once they come back from being on their own. And, honestly, it really hasn't been too bad.

When it comes to curfews, we just came up with a time we could both agree on. I'm sure they wish they could stay out a little later than the time I thought worked. But they have been cooperative about it. I just told them that when they are out late, it is hard for me to sleep! I just want to know they are safe and sound. They understsood that and were willing to go along with it. And I told them that if they ever had some special event or anything they wanted to do that would keep them out later than usual, we could talk about it and normally I am fine with it! So far it hasn't been a problem. I really trust them because they haven't given me a reason not to.

They have all been very busy this summer. Mark, Laura, and Lindy all took summer school and they have all had internships that they have been working on. Mark stayed at school all summer so I haven't really even gotten to see him much. He is also interning for the International Affairs Council in Raleigh.

Here is Laura on her way out the door to go to a meeting for her internship.


She and Lindy have both been working for Charlotte Style magazine. And I am so proud of Laura because she was just chosen to lead and launch the Appalachian State branch of Her Campus Magazine!

I am here to say that college kids do come back.


It is fun to see their lives playing out and the watch them becoming adults. I pray for my kids everyday that God will help them find exactly the right paths for their lives and will keep them from anything that will harm them.

And, even though I love having them home, when they leave and go visit friends or do whatever they are doing for a few days, Steve and I actually enjoy it and take advantage of it!! Last night we had an empty house, so we went to dinner and a movie and had a great time!


Nana and Grandaddy still know how to have fun! :)

8 comments:

  1. You are such a good Momma, Betsy!!!! :) Your children are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, Betsy! Your family is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this Betsy! My oldest is about to be 15. I'm seeing time fly by so quickly and find myself already getting sad about whats "down the road." MERCY!!!

    This makes me happy though...they do come back. :)

    You are such a blessing to me!
    ((hugs))
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made me cry. Now that I'm a Mama, I want my baby/babies to always come back. I remember dropping my baby brother off at his college dorm his freshman year. I bawled like a baby in the car, driving away. And that was my BROTHER. I can't imagine if it were my child. I know I've told you before but I just love the dynamic that your family has and think you are a wonderful Mama. I wish I could sit down with you over coffee and send a thousand questions your way. :)

    They grow up so fast. You've obviously done a great job with your four kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great post Betsy. I too use to think it would be SO sad when our kids graduated...but the relationship we have...are truly precious and priceless.

    Enjoy your summer my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE LOVE LOVE this post, Betsy! I'm right there with you. Now that Tyler has moved back in with us (almost a year now), I worried about not sleeping again, but he has been SO good to keep decent hours. Most of the time, I'm still up when he comes home.

    This is really a sweet time of life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm your newest follower! I've been reading your blog for a few months now and I just started my own blog. I loved this post! My kids will be leaving for college all too soon. It's good to know they do come back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post... your family is so sweet and y'all really do love each other and work together so well!!! :-) It's hard to think about how long it's been since the girls went away to college... it seems like just a few months ago! Time sure does fly!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)