Tuesday, June 14, 2011

First Day Of Summer

Guess what? It is a beautiful summer morning and I am sitting on my back porch, coffee in hand. Rocky is lying right beside me and the wind is blowing in the trees and the birds are singing. I have nothing I have to do and nowhere to go (except a fun dinner with friends tonight!) and I feel like today is the first day of a new beginning for me.


As you can tell from my lack of blogging, I have just been through one of the busiest and most intense years of my whole life. (And that is saying alot because with four kids, I have had some pretty busy, intense years!) I'm really not sure how I am still here to tell you about it....haha! At times I didn't think I would make it.

Teaching at a Title 1 school in addition to all my other commitments and every life change and event that we have had this past year had started to feel like I was running on some kind of treadmill and I couldn't get off. It seemed like all I had time for was working and anything that had moved to the top of the "urgent" list. And that is NOT the way I want to live my life. So I ran all the way till the end of the year and now I have decided to step down. I resigned from my teaching position yesterday and now it is time to get life back into balance. Whew! Thank goodness.

I have a few job opportunities for next year that I am exploring, but they will not be anywhere near as time consuming or demanding as what I have been doing. So we will just wait and see what God has planned.

Meanwhile, today is the first day of summer for me. Woo hoo!! I am looking forward to so many things....

getting projects done...

going to the farmer's market for those yummy summer fruits and vegetables and cooking healthy meals...


reading some good books...

beach trips...



summer nights...


spending time with my family and friends...

cookouts and picnics...


laying by the pool (one of my favorite things!)...


fourth of July...


You know...all that fun stuff!

Really, our summer has already gotten off to a good start! Last weekend we drove to Kingsport, Tennessee to go to the wedding of one of Ashley's best friends, Robyn.






Robyn is the sweetest girl and she was a beautiful bride! Steve and I also had a great time driving through the mountains and just taking our time. We stopped in Blowing Rock and strolled around on the way back and just enjoyed the ride.

Last night was my nephew, Bryson's graduation party. He is graduating today and we are so proud of him. He was a football star at his high school and he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I know my brother Blake and my SIL Angie are going to miss him so much.


I think having your kids leave for college is one of the saddest things ever. I cried for days. Bryson is going to the University of South Carolina, though, so he is going to LOVE it!




So...thank you, summer, for finally getting here!! I can't wait to spend some quality time with you! :)

12 comments:

Michele said...

Betsy~ Congratulations on resigning! I teach too, and the last two years have been so stressful. I totally relate and am praying for a change myself. I saw that you were in Kingsport over the weekend on Ashley's twitter. I'm just a few miles up 26 in between Johnson City and Kingsport. Hope you enjoyed the visit! Enjoy your summer! :)

Nonna's loves......... said...

Betsy,
Congratulations on your CMS retirement! Wow, I bet you feel like a giant weight has been taken off your shoulders. From reading your blog it was obvious that your year was full and relief was needed. So happy for you.
Now you will really be able to enjoy your grandson without being tired or rushed. What a blessing!
Linda Miller
(I think we might be neighbors in PP)

Melissa said...

Congratulations on starting a new chapter! Enjoy your summer!

Mom Can I? said...

WOW-congrats. Right now, with the craziness in CMS, I don't blame you one bit! Can't wait to hear what you've got planned.....hope it gives you time to enjoy all the wonderful things in life! especially that Grandbaby!

Jacquie said...

I had a sneaky suspicion that might be what you decide to do. I'm so happy for you...although, I know that you were/are a HUGE blessing to those children and their families. Looking forward to what God is calling you to next!

In the meantime, have a nice, relaxing summer!

steph said...

Thanks for sharing your feelings about such a stressful job so honestly. That is what I love about your blog your are such a real and genuine person and share the good and difficult parts of your life. I've been struggling with the decison to return to work full time and constantly worry how will I manage because I work part time now. It's helps to read about other women with similar issues. Thanks again for sharing and keep on blogging!

Stephanie

Lauren said...

LOTS to look forward to, and can’t wait to see what the future holds for you as far as the job opportunities!! :)

Emily said...

Good luck on the new job opportunities! Wish you the best in finding that right job. God will take care of it all!

I live about an hour away from Kingsport.. you were so close to me! We go to Kingsport pretty regularly and my husband works up there too.

Christal said...

Happy Summer finally and good luck on the best to come ! Always something to look forward too!! Awesome quotes and pictures!

Lana said...

I will be praying for your new job opportunities! I know you are glad it's summer...me too! I am loving my summer!

The Monogrammed Mrs. said...

Sounds like you have a great summer ahead! Do you know if there are any openings at your school? I know someone who is moving to Charlotte and looking for a teaching job.

Love Being A Nonny said...

Charlotte has lost a great teacher in you!