Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day 2011

We had such a nice day yesterday! I was so glad I got to have all my kids home. I love them all so much and am very thankful that God gave them to me--four perfect gifts. I always wanted a big family and now I have one! And being their mom has probably been the biggest blessing in my life (next to a great husband)!




And it was my first Mother's Day as a Nana! And you know I was taking advantage of every minute of that baby love! :)




Since our family is so big, it is full of lots of wonderful moms.


I feel very blessed to have such a wonderful mother who has always been so loving and supportive of me throughout my whole life. She was a great mommy when I was a little girl and now she is not only a wonderful mother, but a sweet grandmother and great-grandmother, too! I love talking to her and I know that she will always give me good advice and will be praying for me. She is smart and she is a wonderful teacher. All my kids love to call her or go to lunch with her so they can discuss theological questions and issues. And there have been many times when she has helped them with a school project or edited a paper they were writing. She is intentional about keeping a close relationship with her kids and grandkids and is always ready to do anything she can for us. Thank you Mom! I love you!


Steve's mom is a wonderful mother-in-law, too. I have known her since I was 15 when Steve and I started dating. She has always welcomed me into her family and made me feel so loved. She is friendly and outgoing and very creative and crafty. She has a green thumb and a beautiful yard. She has tons of friends and loves to play Bunco and cards. She did a wonderful job raising 5 children of her own and is a fun and loving grandmother and great-grandmother. She always had something fun planned for my kids to do at her house when they were growing up and they still love going over there to eat some of her good cooking or play dominoes or cards.


And this year was Ashley's first Mother's Day. That girl was born to be a mommy. She is a natural. Babies don't stress her out at all and she is having the best time staying home and taking care of David. (I have to say she is alot like me in that way. I always wanted to be a mommy and I loved every minute of staying home with my kids. I enjoy teaching, but I was never bored staying at home and I loved being a homemaker...cooking, cleaning, rocking babies. All those things were fun to me.) Ashley is such a good mommy already. David is blessed to have her!


I also have five sisters-in-law and they are all wonderful mothers, too. Each one has their own strengths and their own style, but they are all completely devoted to their kids and love them so much.

Yesterday after church, Steve cooked out hamburgers for the whole big family and all the guys brought something to pitch in. Laura and Lindy and Mark all helped cook and clean too. (Laura and Lindy made a carrot cake for my dad since his birthday was this past week!) We just hung out on the porch and enjoyed the AMAZING weather. We stayed outside till almost 5:00! It was such a perfect Sunday afternoon. I couldn't have asked for a better Mother's Day!

3 comments:

Claire said...

What a sweet celebration! Congratulations!

Cxx

Lauren said...

Seriously, is it weird to say that I’ve missed the pictures of your porch?!?!?! Ha! I’ve ALWAYS loved it and so happy it’s perfect porch weather now! :) Looks like y’all had a wonderful wonderful weekend!!! :)

Lana said...

Great pictures!! David is just too cute! I can't believe how big he already is! They grow TOO fast!