Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day!


I love Memorial Day, not only because of what it stands for, but because it is like the start of the summer season.

I feel like singing, "It's the MOST wonderful time of the year!!" I can't believe I am so close to having made it through this year. Only 9 days of school left! This weekend felt like summer was already here and that makes me so happy. I absolutely love this time of year. I think when you're a teacher, you are just as excited as the kids for school to be out.

We have had a fun weekend. Saturday night Steve and I went downtown to Speed Street. Charlotte is the home of NASCAR. (Some people are very into racing here...I'm not one of them). But every year, Speed Street is a pre-race event that is held right before the Coca Cola 600. This year, Eddie Money came in concert. We used to love his music back in high school! Here is one of our favorite albums from back in the day...


I have so many memories of us while we were dating listening to his music and the last time I saw him was when I was at Baylor. Some friends of mine and I went to the University of Texas in Austin to seem him perform with 38 Special. Haha! Wow...I am dating myself now! Anyway...as soon as Steve saw that he was going to be here, he decided we were going. We had dinner at an Italian restaurant called Mama Ricotta's on our way downtown and then had a fun night going down memory lane at the concert. We even stayed out till after midnight! I have no idea when the last time we did that was!

Sunday night we had fun grilling out with our neighbors. We always have a good time with them and the food is always good! My neighbor Carol made a yummy cake that I thought was so good. It is super easy to make and it is really light for the summer. I thought I would share the recipe with you...

Mandarin Orange Cake

4 eggs
Yellow cake mix
1 c. oil heated (45 seconds in the microwave)
11 oz. can mandarin oranges with juice
Mix 2 minutes. Bake according to package.

Frosting:
16 oz. Cool Whip
16 oz. can crushed pineapple with juice
Small instant vanilla pudding
Mix pineapple and pudding, then fold in Cool Whip. Refrigerate.


And today has been wonderful...coffee with friends, napping, hanging out on the porch, getting frozen yogurt with Steve, shopping for flowers, catching up on blogging, grilling out. Yep...that is my kind of day!

Did I tell you that I planted an herb garden recently? I planted mint, oregano, tarragon, basil, cilantro, and rosemary. Now I am on the lookout for good recipes that I can use them in. I heard that Ina Garten has a good chicken salad recipe with tarragon, so I am planning on looking that one up! Let me know if you know any other good ones!

Before I go, I wanted to share this cute face...


I got to keep him all day last Saturday and he was a precious angel all day. I love him to death and he is one of the reasons I can't wait for summer to get here. I will get to see more of him!

I hope you are having a good Memorial Day weekend. I am so grateful for the men and women who have served our country in the past and are currently serving now. I am thankful for my dad who served as a chaplain in Viet Nam. I know there are so many families that are sad today, missing their sons, daughters, husbands, and wives. I want to remember that even while I am enjoying my family and friends.

7 comments:

Meredith said...

Is the oil supposed to be minutes or seconds?? Cake sounds great!

Betsy said...

Oops! Meredith....it's supposed to be SECONDS! Oil in the microwave for 45 minutes would not be good!! Haha! I fixed it. Thank you! :)

Wiz said...

You look great!! You look like you could be your grandson's MOM in that picture!

Ashley said...

I know two herb marinated pork tenderloin recipes-Giada and Ina! I'll e-mail them to you. : )

Jenna said...

Glad ya'll had a great Memorial Day! That pic of you and David is TOOO cute for words. Your family is full of beautiful people and babies, I tell ya! Love you, sweet Betsy!

Christal said...

You are so pretty and that handsome boy is so cute! That cake looks so good! Happy Memorial Day sounds like it was good!

Meagan said...

That little grandbaby is growing like a weed! :-) So glad your summer is finally about to start!