Friday, April 1, 2011

Going Home

It has been a really hard week for us. Steve's dad went home to be with the Lord Wednesday night. I don't think I can adequately express the shock we are in right now. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on February 4 and we knew that death was probably inevitable. But we had no idea that it would happen this fast.


Tuesday night he became very ill and was in excruciating pain. Steve and his mom took him to the hospital and it was a downhill slide from there. Steve called me at 4:00 in the morning on Wednesday morning to tell me to come quickly because he didn't think his dad was going to make it. God was good and he DID make it for the whole day. All his children were able to fly in from around the country to be at his side. And many of his grandchildren were able to be there. Everyone was able to talk to him and say the things they wanted to say. We sang to him and read Bible verses and prayed and held his hand and told him how much we loved him. We told him what a good dad and grandfather he had been and how much we were going to miss him. We wanted him to know that everything would be okay and he didn't need to worry. Around 7:30 pm he left his earthly body and went to be with the Lord. We all stood around his bed praying for him as he passed from this life into his eternal life. And there were lots and lots of tears. We will miss him so much. Even though we know where he is now and we know that he is healed, it still hurts.


The past few days have been a blur of friends and food and cards and flowers and lots of family. We are so blessed to be part of a wonderful church family who take such good care of us. They have anticipated anything we might need and already made sure it was taken care of. And our neighbors have been wonderful...bringing meals and helping take care of Rocky. All my sweet teacher friends have been so nice to do anything they could so I wouldn't have to worry about making lesson plans and getting them to school. My principal even called me at home last night to offer her condolences. That was so sweet!

I know the next few weeks and months will be really hard. Steve and his dad were so close. Steve is going to miss him so very much. I hate seeing him so sad. And Steve's mom and dad had been married for 54 years!


How do you adjust to life without someone you have loved for so long? I don't know. But I know God will help us through one day at a time.

I just wanted to share this with y'all. Please keep our family in your prayers. I love you for always being so supportive to me. Thank you all my sweet blogging friends!!

PS-Laura posted a sweet tribute to her Grandaddy here on her blog. I thought it was perfect!

32 comments:

Mom Can I? said...

i am sorry. he was a good man and we will always remember him fondly. (he video'd my wedding!)

our love and thoughts are with you all.

Kimberley said...

sorry to hear of this news so fast. praying for comfort for the entire family.

Kelley said...

So sorry to hear this. Praying for your family.

Ann said...

So sorry to hear. Prayers your way.

Cherit said...

Praying for your family during this difficult time.

Jilly said...

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit! What sweet words you posted...I'm so sorry for your hurting heart!

Susy said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I hope you find comfort in that he did not suffer with his illness for long, although I know you would have all liked more time with him. He surely knew how much he was loved. I'll keep you and your sweet family in my prayers!!!

Girl with the Curlz said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your family will be in my prayers.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I am praying for your family, Betsy. I am so sorry.

Jacquie said...

I am so shocked that he went so quickly. At the same time, I know your family is grateful that he didn't suffer long. There is so much comfort in that. I'm praying that you will continue to be ministered to and that the sweet memories of an obviously wonderful man will be of comfort to you. We love your family!

Cory said...

So sorry for your loss. And you daughters tribute was so beautiful. God Bless you all during this time.

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

I'm so glad that all the children were able to be there with him....that is so important. Something each one will always remember....

Thinking and praying for your family.

~Beth

Deidre said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, Becky. You and your family are in my prayers!

Lauren said...

Betsy, I am so so sorry!!! Thinking of your family during this time!!!

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Your family has been on my heart. It sounds like your father-in-law left this life and entered eternity in a most beautiful way. As y'all grieve your loss, you know Heaven is rejoicing over it's newest resident. :)

Cindy said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. Your family is in my prayers.

Christa said...

Betsy, I'm so sorry to hear this. I will be praying for you and your family.

dee said...

I am so sorry. I lost my dad last year and know how very hard it is.

Mary Madeline said...

Betsy, I so sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your family.

e-in-tx said...

Betsy,
My heart and prayers are with you and your family. My wonderful father also passed away from pancreatic cancer, so I am especially sensitive to your father-in-law's passing. May you feel the love, caring and prayers surrounding you all at this time.
Take care....

petrii said...

Oh Betsy,
I am so sorry. I will be praying for y'all. Love you hugs ~~ Dawn

Debra said...

I am so sorry. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Claire said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. Praying for your family.

Cxx

Christine said...

Betsy, I have been thinking so much about you guys. Thanks for sharing your important moment here in this post. Beautiful words. Hugs to all of you!
XXOX, Christine

Christal said...

So sorry for your loss. Your family is in my prayers. Sounds like you guys all got to have a special day to say goodbye and the best is knowing you will see him again! and that he is released from his earthly pain. Its hard to say goodbye that is for sure. Wonderful to see the outpouring of love from all around you though. Your faith and testimony make things alot easier cope but its still so hard to lose those we love. {{hugs}}

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

I am SO very sorry to hear about your lose. Praying that God's comfort and peace minister to each and everyone of you!!

leah @ modern day gidget said...

I am so sorry!! We have lost two people in the last three months because of pancreatic cancer. One of them was my uncle. It is such a horrible disease!! I will pray for your family and for the comfort that only Christ can bring during these times!!

Faith said...

This just breaks my heart for your sweet family. I know you all are mourning the loss of such a wonderful man. Praying for you all!

Meagan said...

So sorry to hear the sad news. Sending prayers your way!

Lisa said...

Betsy, I am so sorry about your loss. This brings back so many memories of the loss of my mother to breast cancer last February. She died just four months after being diagnosed and just two months after her 70th birthday. I know that Steve will have a rough year ahead. We just got past the one year anniversary of my mother's death and I have to admit that I am so glad that that first year is behind us. I now do not wonder how all of the holidays are going to be without her. She was my best friend and it has been very hard not having her around but I am so glad she is not longer sick and I know I will be with her forever after this life on earth is over. I am praying for you and your family. Having three in college and away from home had to be hard. God is good though, just look at that new grandbaby!!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I am so behind on my blog reading, so I am just finding out about Steve's Dad. So sorry for your sudden loss. I'm so glad that you all were able to be with him at the end. Praying for your sweet family during this time of grief. Love & blessings from NC!

Ashley said...

I drop in from Lana's blog every now and then and read your blog but have never commented. I was shocked to see this when I stopped in today (I hadn't stopped by in a little while). I am so sorry for your loss. I will definitely keep you and your family in my prayers!