Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Good Things

I thought I would celebrate some good things today to get us through "hump-day"!

1-I was driving home from school yesterday and all of a sudden I realized the wisteria is EVERYWHERE! I think that is the prettiest flower and it only blooms for such a short time, so you have to look quick! And it smells so good too.


And the tulips are coming out all over the place! That is another of my favorites. Is it just me, or is spring coming earlier than usual this year?? On the down side, the pollen is getting thick on everything. Allergies are driving everyone crazy right now.



2-I am finally over being sick. Praise the Lord! I took an antibiotic and that kicked it for me. I feel so much better!

3-Steve is a big weekend newspaper reader. This past weekend, when he was reading the paper front to back, he found a new recipe he wanted me to try, so I tried it yesterday. It was from Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook (she is Jerry Seinfeld's wife). She is into eating healthy and Steve is always on the lookout for healthy recipes. He is much more into cooking low-fat and all that than I am. I have a hard time breaking my southern habits. But I do love mozzarella with tomato and basil, so that may be what I liked about this sandwich. (I changed a couple things on it....no thank you on the broccoli puree!) Anyway...I thought I would share it with you. It looks kind of long, but it's really easy.



Balsamic Chicken Sandwich

Ingredients
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup whole-wheat flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup low-fat, reduced-sodium chicken broth
½ cup balsamic vinegar
6 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
½ cup broccoli puree (I didn't do this part!)
6 large slices tomato
6 ciabatta rolls, or 6 large slices crusty Italian bread (I just used a softer sandwich roll)
½ cup grated part-skim mozzarella

Cooking Directions
1. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the flour on a sheet of waxed paper. Toss the chicken chunks in the flour and coat completely. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and garlic. Decrease the heat to medium and continue to cook until the chicken begins to brown and the garlic becomes fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes.

3. Add the chicken broth, vinegar, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center. Add the puree and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, until the flavors are well blended.

4. Place the bread on a large baking sheet. Top each with a tomato slice. Divide the chicken between the 6 pieces of bread and top with mozzarella. Bake until the cheese is melted and edges of the bread are crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Serve immediately.

For the Broccoli Puree

Cut broccoli into florets and steam for 6 to 7 minutes. Florets should be tender but still bright green. (If they're an olive green, they're overcooked.) Puree using a food processor or blender for about 2 minutes. May need a few teaspoons of water, for a smooth, creamy texture.


4-This is my new favorite song by Keith Urban. I just love his music and when I heard this song for the first time this week, I thought it was so sweet. His daughter is named Sunday Rose and she is in the video. Laura sent me a Facebook message a few days ago and sent me the link to the song and said, "You will love it and Sunday Roast is in it, too!" Haha....we always thought Sunday Rose sounded like Sunday Roast!



5-It is WEDNESDAY! Yay! We're half way through the week!

4 comments:

Lindy Maddox said...

That sandwich looks delicious!! Make that when I come home next! :) My allergies are driving me up the WALL! I'm about to scratch my eyes out they itch so bad! Pollen stinks! I miss you and I love you a lot! Hope you're having a relaxing week bonding with the Rockster!

The Garners said...

Tulips are one of my VERY favorite flowers! That wisteria is beautiful, too! Happy Spring to you!

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

What beautiful flowers! I love spring with all the flowers in bloom! Truly God's handiwork!!

Glad you're feeling better!

~Beth

Lauren said...

Mozzarella with tomato and basil is the BEST thing EVER!!! :)