Sunday, February 6, 2011

Curve Ball

Hi all my blogging friends. I have a very important prayer request to share with you. I know that I can count on all of you to pray diligently and that means so much to me.

We were thrown a real curve ball this weekend and need some urgent prayer. We found out Friday night that Steve's dad has a mass on his pancreas.


If you knew him, you would know how crazy and unexpected this news is. He is the absolute picture of health otherwise! He doesn't take a single pill and is very active. He loves to work in his yard, fly fish, travel, and even play a game of pick up basketball with his grandkids! But over the past month or so, he has been experiencing some pain and finally went to get an MRI. The news was not what we wanted to hear. In all probability, this mass is cancer. We will know more this week. But pancreatic cancer is very bad. So we have kind of had the wind knocked out of us! Please pray that the news is not as bad as it seems and that maybe somehow it is even wrong! But if it is not wrong, please just pray that we have the strength and grace to walk through it! Thank you so much. I will keep you updated.

In other news, Mark came through town this weekend on his way to see some friends in South Carolina. It was so good to see him! He always brightens our spirits. We took him out to dinner on Thursday night had fun catching up on his life. (I think he is having Spain withdrawals!) Then when he got back in town today, we met him after church at Chili's.


I wish he could have stayed longer.

Ashley and John came to Chili's with us, too. Ashley is so ready to get this baby here. After lunch, we stopped by their apartment for a little while to see everything they have gotten from all their showers.


Their nursery looks so cute and they are SET! It amazes me how much you need in order to have a baby these days. haha I think they have every luxury and every gadget that anyone could ever want! This would be a great week for that sweetie pie to get here since Steve's sisters are coming in town to see his dad. Plus, we could use some happy excitement!

This week was very dreary here. We didn't get any snow, but we sure did get some cold, rainy days. I couldn't take my kids outside for three days this week. I think most of the country is experiencing a very lonnnng, cold winter. But today when we woke up, the sun was shining and the birds were singing and it was absolutely gorgeous. I am hoping all this rain is going to bring us some bright, beautiful daffodils very soon.


They are already starting to come up. They are such a pretty sight in the middle of the gray wintertime. I'm so glad God gives us symbols of hope like that. I know He is in control and is going to take care of us...even when we are walking through a dark and cold valley.

20 comments:

Deidre said...

Oh, Betsy, I am so sorry to hear that about Steve's dad. I will most definitely keep you all in my prayers - asking Jesus to be near to you during this time. Truly take one moment at a time and try not to get ahead of yourself. That will drive you crazy. Praying, sweet friend.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Betsy...I will most definitely be praying for Steve's dad. And for all of you while you wait for further news. I'm asking God to fill you with His peace...

Love Being A Nonny said...

Betsy, I am so very sorry. The waiting is so hard. I will pray for peace for all of you.

Also will pray for Ashley as I know these last few weeks and days are hard ones....physically and emotionally.

The Garners said...

I will be praying for Steve's father.

Cherit said...

I'm sorry to hear about your FIL. I will definitely be praying for your family during this difficult time.

Christa said...

Betsy, I'm so sorry to hear about Steve's dad. I will definitely be praying for him.

Immeasurably More Mama said...

So sorry to hear this about your father-in-law. Praying for him and your family.

Alex and Jill said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. I am praying for your father-in-law and for you guys.

I think Ashley is such a cute pregger. I know she is ready to have that sweet baby! I hope it's this week!!

((HUGS)) to you friend.

Becky said...

Hey Betsy....I'm so sorry to hear about Steve's dad. I will certainly keep him and your family in my prayers.

I ready for SPRING!!!!

Mindy said...

Will be praying Betsy!!!!

Christian Carroll Stewart said...

Praying for you all and for Steve's Dad! Please keep us updated.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Hey Betsy, my daughters and I sat in front of you guys at Beth Moore in April last year. I follow your blog and will certainly pray for your father-in-law. I know God has him in the palm of his hand! Please keep us posted. And I am also praying for Ashley and the birth of her baby. She looks so adorable in the picture you posted. Love & blessings from NC!

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

Betsy,

Will be praying for Steve's dad...and all of you! It is not easy when you know there is a probability that it's cancer...praying that your faith will be strengthened especially during this time.

~Beth

Lauren said...

So sorry to hear about Steve’s dad, praying!!!!

Jacquie said...

Just now read your post and spent some time in prayer for Steve's dad. Thank you for the opportunity to pray for him.

Ashley LOOKS ready to have that baby! Hoping this is the week!

Faith said...

So sorry to hear this and praying for your sweet family.

Hugs,
Faith

Meagan said...

So sorry to hear the stressfull news about Steve's dad! I will certainly be praying for God's healing hands and peace! Hang in there!

MiMi said...

Betsy,

I just now saw this post about Steve's dad and just wanted you to know that I will definitely be praying. Praying for complete healing of whatever has been causing his pain and that the results of the MRI would reveal NO cancer.

I know that you must be getting so excited about Ashley's baby...and you are right...I cannot believe HOW MUCH STUFF it takes to have a baby now! LOL I don't know how we got by, do you?

Praying for your family in the days ahead.

Love,
Emilie

Christal said...

Betsy that is so sad we are praying for him here! You never know do we definitely in our prayers all of you. Hang in there!

Fran said...

Hey sweet Betsy...I will be praying for Steve's dad and all of you as you navigate the path ahead. You are so dear to so many of us.

May His peace and presence surround you all.
Hugs,
Fran