Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Little Things Mean Alot

It is so funny how little things can brighten your day so much! Just yesterday I said how I was trying to keep balance in my life by not leaving work late, but today I didn't get to leave till almost 5:00. That is a long day when you get to work at 6:30 am! When I finally got home after driving in crazy 5:00 traffic, I was STARVING! I had planned on making poppy seed chicken for dinner, but there was no way I wanted to start making that at 6:00, so Laura and Lindy and I jumped in the car and headed to one of our favorite little Asian restaurants. After dinner we all opened our fortune cookies, and this is what mine said...


I thought that was appropriate for me and it made me smile. I need to remember that!

When we got home, I looked through the mail and I found this from my sweet blogging friend Angela...


A few days ago I posted that I was sad because I wasn't getting any more fun Christmas cards. So she sent me this one! That was so nice. Thank you Angela!!

After that I headed upstairs and set my purse down and saw this sitting on the bedside table...


Steve left to go out of town today and he was in a big hurry. But apparently he stopped long enough to jot me this quick note on anything he could find. He left it right with this picture of us on vacation that I have on the bedside table. Steve is a big note writer and I love that about him. He always leaves little notes to our kids and to me. He used to write the kids notes on their napkins in their lunchboxes since he was the lunch packer (another thing I loved about him!) :)

Speaking of my kids, this is the last week that they are home from college. I wish I could be home with them this week, but unfortunately I can't. Mark is usually at the gym or going to get wings with his friends or watching a ballgame, but I have to admit I'm a little jealous of Laura and Lindy's "girl fun". I wish I could be reading Sophie Kinsella and drinking Starbucks....


or having friends over and lying around watching movies!


I have had fun having them home. I love all our conversations about majors and roommates and boyfriends and girlfriends and life. Mark is always good for a thought provoking debate about politics or religion and Laura and Lindy always keep me current on styles and fashion and good movies and music. I'm so glad we've been able to have a whole month together!

6 comments:

Alex and Jill said...

That's a good fortune cookie. Mine usually say something retarded.

You have such a great relationship with your kiddos. I want to have that with Amelia too, when she's in her teenage years. How did you do it? This is when it would be nice to be able to sit and talk your ear off with questions. :)

Love Being a Nonny said...

Oh how sweet Betsy!! I scribbled the note on at the last minute....Would have written neater if I had known it was going on the blog!!:) lol! Glad it made you smile!

You are correct....sometimes it is the little things that mean so much!

Meagan said...

Back to the grind, huh? Steve is so sweet to leave you a note! And your card and fortune... girl you just had all kinds of reminder of how sweet life really is! So glad you had a nice day! :-) Enjoy the rest of your week and don't work too hard! (I stayed at work til 4:30 today - first day back! Maybe I'll do better tomorow!)

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

Sounds like your day had many special little blessings!

~Beth

Lana said...

What a neat fortune cookie saying that you got! :) You seem like such a FUN mom!

Giggles said...

My Mom and Dad always left us notes on our napkins in our lunchbag and put cute stickers on the outside. My friends were always jealous of the notes and couldn't wait to see what my Dad would write (he loves to write short poems!) and then they would want our stickers.