Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Things I Never Get To Do

I went to the mailbox this afternoon and totally expected not to get any Christmas cards at all. I was getting a little sad. But when I opened the mailbox, there was one straggler in there! It was from a friend of ours who always sends her cards out a little late. But I was so happy to get one more card. My trips to the mailbox aren't nearly as fun when all there is are bills and junk mail! I think I am going to order some more magazines this year, just to make it more exciting! haha

Anyway...I went through all of the cards we got this year and re-decorated my refrigerator today. Every year, I take down all the cards from the previous year and put up all the new ones. I love looking at the faces of all our friends every day. It reminds me of how blessed we are to have such wonderful friends.

Here is our new refrigerator!


Tonight, our lazy fun continues. Mark has several friends over and they are all piled up in the bonus room with sub sandwiches watching NC State play in the Champs Sports Bowl.

Laura went out to dinner with a friend, and now she and Lindy are planning on making cookies, watching a movie, and spending the night with another friend.

And I am getting to do some things that I feel like I never get to do when I am working.

1-Cooking Dinner Every Night

Since I have been off for the past week or so (and since all my kids are home), I have been cooking so much more! I like to cook and I try to cook at least 3-4 times a week, but usually not every night. But recently, I have tried several recipes that have been big hits at our house that I thought I would share them with you. They are all from Pioneer Woman. One is her Chicken Pot Pie.


The recipe is in her cookbook and it is also here online. If you want a great dish to fix on a cold winter night, you should try this one! The perfect comfort food.

And tonight I tried Pioneer Woman's Barbeque Chicken Pizza.


Everyone loved it! If you've ever had this at California Pizza Kitchen, it tastes alot like that! Really good.

Did I tell you I got a panini maker for Christmas? It is going to be broken in this week! I am planning on making some grilled cheese sandwiches and PW's Sherried Tomato Soup.



Oh my word, that sounds delicious!

2-Watching Movies

I have also been watching alot more movies than I ever get to when I am teaching. I watched the old Parent Trap the other day. I forgot how cute that movie is.


I like that one AND the newer version with Lindsay Lohan. My girls loved the Lindsay Lohan version when they were little. (I guess since they are twins, too!)


Then on Sunday night I watched The Sound of Music, which is close to being my all- time favorite movie. I never get tired of watching it!

And tonight I am planning on watching Love Actually.


I have never seen it and I have heard it's really good. Have you seen it?

3-Reading
I also have three new books stacked up just waiting for me to read them.

This one...


This one...


And this one...


I am sad because I know I will probably start reading them, but I won't get done and then school will start back and I will be a crazy person again and they will never be finished. I really hope that doesn't happen!! I am going to try to keep reading even once I'm back at school.

And, I have had so much more time to read and catch up on blogs, which I LOVE. I have found several new blogs that I am adding to my reader. Here are just two...

Sister Stuff
Heather Hendrick

I love all the great ideas that are shared out there in bloggy world, like this one...

Therapy Sacks



Doesn't this look wonderful to put on your feet when you are cold or around your neck when you are tired or stressed out? I think they sell these in stores somewhere, but you could also make one easily!

So....those are a few things that I am really enjoying right now. I am so thankful for this break and getting to rest a little bit. I have to say that I am already dreading next week! It is going to be hard going back to work. :)

7 comments:

Michele said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying your time off! It just goes by too quickly! We go back next Monday and I am already dreading it.

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

I had no time off to take during the Christmas holiday, so it's been the norm for me going into work each day. So glad you've had some time for yourself! Enjoy while you can!

~Beth

Claire said...

I'm also going to find it hard going back to school! I need to start doing some prep this week, but I'm just enjoying being in my pjs and reading far too much at the moment!

Cxx

Alex and Jill said...

I'm so glad that you're enjoying your time off. I can only imagine it's needed to recharge your batteries before going back to school.

I love Parent Trap (the original)! I watched and DVR'd it the other night. I've already watched it twice.

petrii said...

Betsy,
It looks like you are having a wonderful break. I didn't get by your blog last week to with you a Merry CHRISTmas, but I'm so glad you had such a nice one.

Have a Blessed day,
Dawn

Sara said...

I'm glad you're enjoying your time off! I'm in the middle of The Confession now and I cannot put it down! Enjoy the rest of your break!!

Love Being a Nonny said...

I am just like that....After Christmas is such a let down when I go to the mailbox!! I keep my cards hanging in my kitchen until about March or April. Then I replace them with photos. LOVE me some picture cards!!