Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Holiday Season Is Here!

The holiday season is here! I love this time of year, don't you? It has been so nice having Laura and Lindy home and having a house full of family. Today we are watching football and maybe a Christmas movie or two. Nothing much is on our agenda. Today, I am just doing a random list...

1-I got my whole house decorated yesterday. I am not a Black Friday shopper, so Steve went shopping with my girls (he is a sweet dad!!), and I had several hours to myself. While they were gone, I turned into a Christmas decorating machine! I got the whole tree up by myself and even did the lights. I hung the wreaths on the windows and door, hung stockings, put out our nativity scenes, and all the little Christmas "knick-knacks". I also went to Hobby Lobby and got some red mesh for the tree. I really like how it turned out!


2-My sweet friend, Faith, gave me a blog makeover! She always does an awesome job. If you are looking for a re-do, definitely check her out.


3-About two or three weeks ago, we went over to my mother-in-law's house for dinner and she made a dessert that was so good--pumpkin crunch!


I liked it so much, I have made it several times since that night. I took it to school for a meeting and all my teacher friends loved it and wanted the recipe. I took it for dessert when I brought dinner to a friend and they loved it. And I made it for my family and they loved it, too. So, I thought I would share it with you today. We had it for Thanksgiving, but it would be good during the Christmas holidays, too!

Pumpkin Crunch

1 12 oz. can evaporated milk, unsweetened
3 eggs
1 15 oz. can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling--just plain pumpkin)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 box yellow cake mix
1 1/2 c. pecans, coarsely chopped
2 sticks margarine

Mix well the first 6 ingredients. Pour into a greased 9x13 in. baking pan. Pour the dry cake mix evenly over pumpkin mixture. Sprinkle pecans over cake mix. Melt the 2 sticks margarine and drizzle over cake mix and pecans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Serve warm with whipped cream.


4-I know it's not even December yet, but I wish we would have a snow day before our Christmas break. Wouldn't that be fun? I am jealous of my blog friends who are already getting snow!


5-Steve got us X-Box Kinect Dance yesterday while he was out shopping and we all tried it last night. It was really fun. We laughed alot! When I was doing it, Ashley started laughing so hard, she almost went into a full blown cry. Ever since she has been pregnant, she has started doing that and it is so funny. She starts out laughing really hard, but then she moves into crying. I think that was much funnier than my dance moves! ;)

6-Sing Off. Have you heard about this show? I saw some of the contestants on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and they were amazing. Everyone on the show sings acapella. To me, that shows real talent! I think it starts on December 6th. I will be putting that on my TiVo line up!

7-My Christmas cards arrived in the mail a few days ago. I wasn't able to take a family picture this year since everyone was so scattered. But I did a collage and I am excited about how they turned out. I have never had my Christmas cards this early before. I just need to sit down and address them now.

This break has been so great. I am sad that it is almost over!

3 comments:

petrii said...

Betsy,
I LOVE your holiday blog makeover. Faith does amazing work!!

Your tree is beautiful!!! I love the mesh. I used silver mesh last year and loved it.

Have a Blessed weekend,
Dawn

Jacquie said...

Faith always does such a good job! I love your holiday designs.

That pumpkin dessert looks so good. I'm gonna have to try it!

Have a great day back tomorrow... I know it'll be hard to get started again.

Jaclyn said...

I am so glad I ame across your fun blog, and your tree looks beautiful!!