Sunday, October 10, 2010

Steve's Birthday and Our Mountain Weekend

This week has been a lot of fun here at our house. First of all, last Wednesday was Steve's birthday. All he wanted to do was to have family over, get some BBQ, and sit out on the porch together. So...that's exactly what we did!


I also made him his favorite-carrot cake.


I told you I would share the recipe with you, so here it is. (It's super easy and you will love it, I promise!)

Carrot Cake

2 cups sugar
1 1/2 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 t. baking soda
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla
2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 jars junior baby food carrots

Blend oil and sugar. Add eggs, sift dry ingredients and mix. Add carrots and vanilla. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

Frosting
1 stick margarine
1 8 oz. cream cheese
1 box confectioners sugar
1 t. milk
2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Melt butter, add cream cheese, and blend. Add sugar and vanilla. Ice cake and sprinkle with finely chopped pecans.


On Friday, right after school, Steve and I left to go up to the mountains to visit Laura for the weekend. It was Appalachian State's homecoming and we got tickets to the game. Since it is Lindy's fall break, she got to go, too!

Friday night we ate dinner at one of our favorite little pizza places in Blowing Rock, Mellow Mushroom. For dessert we went to a candy store called Kilwin's and I got some hot apple cider.


Then we headed up to the Blue Ridge Parkway to do some star gazing. It is so amazing how many stars you can see when you are away from the city lights! It was absolutely gorgeous up there!

Saturday morning, Laura took us to one of her favorite little bakeries called Stick Boy's. Then we headed out to enjoy the beautiful day and do a little hiking. (Our version of hiking is walking around a pretty lake!) Here are a few pictures we took.










We also went back into Blowing Rock to shop for a while. Blowing Rock is the quaintest little town you've ever seen with adorable shops, a park, and cute little restaurants. One of my favorite stores in BR is called Poppy. They already had all their Christmas stuff out and it was like a wonderland in there!




See what I mean? And, believe me, this was just a TINY part of all the things they had! I got a really pretty fall wreath for my front door at another cute store.

The crowd was beginnning to pick up in Boone and all the restaurants were getting really crowded, so we ate at a little Thai place for lunch that wasn't crowded and was so good. Then it was time for the game!




There were so many people at the game and lots of tailgating and celebrating since it was Homecoming. Steve and I had lawn tickets on a "hill". I don't think there are really any hills in Boone. It was so steep! More like the side of a mountain! And the game was so exciting, but the whole first half, we were in the direct sunlight and it was HOT! Finally, at half time, the sun went down behind the trees and we cooled off. Laura and Lindy sat with friends in the student section.


Appalachian won and we had a great time. During the game, we kept texting Ashley because she was at the South Carolina vs. Alabama game and we were so excited that South Carolina was winning. We left the App game just a little early and went to a sports bar so we could watch the end of it. (We took Laura's roommate and her boyfriend out with us...)


Ashley said that was the best game she's ever been to in her whole life. So loud and exciting! I was glad we got to see the end of it. Go Gamecocks! Woo hoo!

We got home late last night and I was pretty much exhausted. I didn't even go to church this morning because I still had grocery shopping, laundry, and lesson plans to do. For dinner tonight I made Pioneer Woman's Chicken Pot Pie. I already tried it and it is so good. Real comfort food! Here is the recipe if you are interested. It has gotten hot again here, but this would be amazing on a chilly, fall night!

8 comments:

Lana said...

Looks and sounds like yall had a great weekend! We watched the SC football game on TV...it was great!

Heather said...

Betsy, I love your new blog look!! It's so pretty! What a great weekend in the mountains, it's gorgeous there!
These pictures are beautiful and it was the perfect little getaway! So glad you got to do that!! Happy birthday to your man, that cake sounds yummy!!

Jacquie said...

What a fun weekend!! We had a bonfire last night and the stars were amazing!!! The country is perfect for that.

Hope you have a great week, Betsy.

Love Being a Nonny said...

I've been meaning to say this and this post reminded me....Laura and Lindy look SO much alike but Laura looks JUST LIKE YOU. As in, she could be YOUR twin!

Lauren said...

So fun!!!! :) And the pictures are great, especially the ones where you can see the leaves changing!!! Love the look of your blog!!

Walking With The Wheats said...

Stopping by your blog for the first time and wanted to let you know that I was here. Very cute!!

Deidre said...

OHHH! I just love Blowing Rock. Surely the Lord will let me live there one day?? I love the pictures. We get to head there this weekend. Can't wait.

Eleanor said...

I so enjoy reading your blog. I would like to make your carrot cake but I can't find the junior carrots. Where do you get them and what brand do you use??