Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Recipe For Rest

It is the weekend again and apparently I am just a weekend blogger now. I wish I could blog more, but it just isn't possible. Honestly, I know I am beginning to sound like a broken record, but I have been extremely busy and really just overworked for the past nine weeks. Some nights I fall into bed wondering how on earth I'm going to drag myself out of bed again and do it all over the next day. But then I do! I guess God is just giving me the strength to do it somehow.

I have really been thinking about what God wants for me lately. I'm not sure what I am going to do in the future. Right now we are just praying about it. I love teaching and I want to be a good teacher, but I need to have some balance in my life, too.

I have been gone for the past two weekends, so I was so glad that we didn't have anything on the agenda for this weekend. I have been telling God that I need some serious rest. You know the kind where your mind is at rest as well as your body? And God answered my prayers this weekend. It was absolutely perfect. I have been thinking about what it means to really rest and I came up with a few things that have worked for me.

So, here is my recipe for rest:

1.Time With Friends
Friday night we went to dinner with three other couples and we had the best time talking and laughing together and eating some yummy Italian food. Being with sweet friends always encourages me and makes me feel better.


2.Sleep!!!
I am one of those people who needs alot of sleep. I wish I didn't, but if I don't get at least 7 hours a night, I feel awful. So sleeping in on Saturday morning is probably up there with one of the best things in life!!


3.Nothing On The Agenda
Hmmmmm....how do I want to spend my day? It's wide open and I can do whatever I want. Piddle around the house, do some shopping, read, bake cookies, WHATEVER! No one is pulling at me or asking me to do anything. So great!!


4.Quality Time With My Husband And Family
Steve and I went out to dinner Saturday night and it has been a long time since just the two of us did that it seems like. We didn't even get dressed up or anything. It was totally comfortable and casual. Then we went to see Life As We Know It and it was so cute. It was a good night!


5.Time With The Lord

"Are you tired? Worn out?... Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matthew 11:28-30 (The Message)

That's exactly what I'm looking for and I know I can only find it in Him. He is the only one that can really put my mind and heart at rest. I ask Him for that alot during the week! And on Sunday, I love going to church and hearing God's word for me. It does my soul good!



Throw in a little Michael Buble and maybe a bubble bath and voila! You are now rested and ready to face a new week!

What do you do when you are overwhelmed with life? What brings you rest?

8 comments:

Lindy said...

that sounds like the perfect weekend for you! I feel like we haven't talked in forever because of my broken phone!? I love you mom!

Lauren said...

This made me more restful just reading this, haha!! :)

Jacquie said...

You do what I like to do. I also will take a Saturday and stay in sleep pants and watch chick flix all day long. That always helps.

I'm sorry you're having such a stressful time. We're fixing to go into the most wonderful time of the year!!

Heather said...

Girl, we are so much alike!! I need like a lot of sleep, all the time!! I don't function without it! Sometimes just being by ourselves and taking everything in is just what we needed!

Alex and Jill said...

I have become a weekend blogger, as well. A lot of the time, I just don't have the time. And that's become okay with me. I'll do it when I feel like it. :) And I also have to have a lot of sleep or I get sick. I've been that way my entire life. The things you've listed would be at the top of my list.

Meagan said...

Now, that's a recipe I can get in to! I have a new computer now and I am trying to get all caught up! I missed you while my computer was out of comission! :-) Hope all has been well and so glad to hear you got some much needed rest and relaxation!

Leigh Ann said...

I have been feeling overwhelmed myself! Now that I am working, I don't have all the planning/organizing time I used to and I feel lost! Your weekend sounds amazing. We spent a lot of time home this weekend, too. Soooo nice for a change.

petrii said...

Oh how I love your recipe for rest. I would love to do just one of those things, and do it pain-free. Right now pain is a real problem. I am recovering from knee surgery #7 (Total Knee Arthroplasty) and it is kicking my booty =) but I know it will get better.

I've often wonder how you get it all done, especially in the new school this year, and if I remember right, it is farther away. I hope things settle down for you real soon.

I've been a bad blog commenter lately. I will try to do better. But I do think of you friend. And I LOVE your fall blog colors. So peaceful.

Have a Blessed and Restful Weekend,
Dawn

PS See, if I don't comment in a while, then I am a really long-winded commenter too =)