Sunday, October 17, 2010

ECU Weekend

We had the best time this weekend. We went to East Carolina University to visit Lindy and go to the NC State vs. ECU game. I am definitely going to post about all the fun we had because it was a great weekend! But even before I do that, I just have to say that I am so thankful today. I am thankful for my sweet children and how much God has blessed us with kids that are not rebellious and who are loving and who make us proud. They aren't perfect by any means! But sometimes when I go to college campuses and see all the craziness there and all the things that go on, I just thank God that He has protected my children from getting involved in a lifestyle that is so destructive. I love how they know how to have a good time and not get out-of-control crazy. It is hard growing up right now--much harder in a lot of ways than when I was in college. I try to be faithful to pray for my own kids and for other kids who are trying to make their way and trying to figure out what is important in life! Lord, please continue to keep your hand on my kids and keep them on the right track.

Anyway...this weekend was really fun! We left Friday afternoon and drove to Greenville. It is about four hours away, so we didn't get there until almost 8:00. Lindy met us and we went out for Mexican food. It was delicious and we got guacamole made right at our table (which is one of my FAVORITE things!) We were so happy to see Lindy and have a fun dinner together.


Let me back up and tell you that all week long this week, my eyes have been really red and irritated. They have been matted together when I wake up and I pretty much knew I had pink eye. But I have been so busy, I was hoping it would just go away by itself. (Pink eye is one of those fun things you can get from working with kids. I have had it a few times before and it is yucky and painful.) So anyway...when I woke up Saturday morning, I could hardly see and my eyes were in pretty bad shape. I knew I was going to have to get some medicine or it would only get worse. So, we headed to a minute clinic and I got a prescription. Now I have to throw away all my eye makeup and make sure I wash my pillow case and wash all the towels and washcloths that I use because it is highly contagious. Needless to say, my eyes looked awful all weekend. I just kept my sunglasses on the whole time! haha

Saturday was absolutely gorgeous. It was just the right temperature and not a cloud in the sky! We met up with two other families in our neighborhood and tailgated before the game. Steve was decked out in his NC State attire and I had on my ECU stuff. We are truly a house divided between all these schools. The game started at 12, so we didn't have very long to tailgate, but we had a good time. I wish I would have taken more pictures!

I have to say that ECU fans are die hard and there are ALOT of them! Wow. That is a big stadium and it was packed!


Their mascot is the Pirates, so right before the football players come out, they get the crowd hyped by playing a clip from Pirates Of The Caribbean on the jumbo tron. These fans are VERY loud and there was so much energy in the stadium, which makes it fun.

Here are a few pictures from the game...

Steve and me...


Our neighbors, Kelsey, Catherine, and Melissa. Kelsey goes to NC State, so she had on her red, white, and black! Lindy sat with her friends...


ECU fans!!!


Lindy and Sean...


ECU ended up beating NC State in overtime and the crowd was so excited! After the game, everyone just stayed and they played music and we were all dancing and having a good time!


For dinner we went to one of Lindy's favorite restaurants, East Coast Wings. It was perfect because it was big enough to accommodate all of us (there were about 12 of us) and we could also watch the South Carolina v. Kentucky game.

Here are Lindy and her good friend and neighbor, Melissa. We had been out in the sun all afternoon and were a little sunburned!


When we left the restaurant, South Carolina was winning 28 to 10! But apparently that changed quickly. Ashley texted us and was so upset that Kentucky had ended up winning. Uuuuugggh. How did that happen after such a great game against Alabama last week???

We ended our night by going to Barnes and Noble with Lindy and getting some hot chocolate and a cookie at Starbucks. We sat for about an hour just hanging out and talking together. Then we hugged her goodbye and headed back to our hotel. I hate saying goodbye to my kids. I always miss them so much when they are gone.

Speaking of kids being gone, Mark is still having a great time in Spain. He just went on a trip to Barcelona last week and said it was amazing. He is now taking lots of classes and they are all in Spanish, so that is challenging! I can't wait to see him soon.

We are back home now, doing laundry and running errands and getting ready for the week. Hope you are having a great weekend!!

10 comments:

Lindy said...

I LOVE YOU! I had a blast with you and Dad this weekend and can't wait to see ya'll again soon! GO PIRATES!

Taylor said...

Glad you all enjoyed Greenville! I live here as well, and went to ECU. It is a great place to be. Sounds like ya'll had a lot of fun, and East Coast Wings is one of my favorite restaurants as well!!

Christian Carroll Stewart said...

I'm so thankful that you have wonderful kids too. I pray my girls turn out as great as your kids! Glad you had a good weekend!

Lauren said...

Such a FUN weekend!! Minus the pink-eye :(

Fran said...

Oh, these pix are just beautiful!! I have found myself praying every day for my kids to steer clear of the rebellious road! The oldest is 14 and anxiety and fear can quickly take over. I'm so happy to see kids who can continue to walk a path for the Lord in those college years!!

Your family is just beautiful!
Hugs,
Fran

Jacquie said...

Gosh that sounds like a fun time.

Sorry about your pink eye. Hope that's better soon!! Have a great week.

Lana said...

Sounds like you had an awesome weekend! I hope your pink eye is better....bless your heart! Don't you love getting all the sickness being a teacher?!

Heather said...

I just love you Betsy! I love your posts and you and your hubby are so cute!! So glad you had a great weekend, the game looks like lots of fun!

Christal said...

So sorry about your eyes that is so not fun!!! But looks like a great weekend anyway! You guys always have a blast as a couple as a family and that is the best memories in life isn't it!!!

lizz5990 said...

Just wondering why your daughter, Ahshley's blog is priavte?(assuimng the Ahsley with the private blog under the blogs you like is your daughter!) I'm not asking in a rude way, but I'm just curious! I follow you both on twitter and love reading your blog, and would love to read her blog as well. Doesn't really make a difference to me, but just pass on, if she ever wants to go public with her blog she has some ready readers:). Love your new layout!