Sunday, August 1, 2010

It's That Time Again

Well, we had a very busy day today. We spent the day taking Laura back to school and moving her into her new apartment up in Boone, NC. Okay...I'm not sure what happened over the summer, but it seems like her stuff multiplied and expanded somehow and she took back way more today than she came home with in May!

Packing the car was like working a jigsaw puzzle.


We even had to ask Lindy's boyfriend, Sean, to drive his truck up with us just so we could have more room!


I have to say, he was a trooper. Mark helped us load up, but he couldn't go to Boone because he had to work, so Sean helped us out so much with all the heavy lifting, etc.

(By the way, I never told you that Lindy had a great time at the wedding she went to with Sean's family up in New Jersey. Here are a few pictures of them from the rehearsal dinner and reception...)




Anyway...it was very drizzly today and we were afraid it might start raining, so we used a tarp to cover everything in the truck. We had to make several stops to readjust the tarp because it kept blowing and flapping in the wind!

We also drove through extremely dense fog as we got higher up into the mountains. I could barely see the tail lights of the car in front of me and I even accidentally ran a red light because I couldn't see it!

We finally made it safe and sound and there was no fog in Boone, thank goodness!

Steve and I were laughing that this is the 15th time we have moved a college student in or out of a dorm! I think we are pretty much experts by now. It's so funny how our fall ritual has changed over the years. When the kids were in elementary school, it was all about buying a new back-to-school outfit and going to Wal-Mart with our supply list in hand to make sure we got all the folders and wipes and crayons we needed. Our cart was always overflowing. With four kids, I remember thinking how expensive going back to school was!


That makes me laugh now considering how much money college costs in addition to apartment rent and buying decorations and furniture for it! Can you say, "Cha-ching!" ???

We worked all day putting the bed together and hanging things up and running to Wal-Mart for last minute items. When Steve and I left, her room was starting to come together. We ran out of nails so her walls barely had anything on them yet but it is going to be really cute when it's finished!


The second year of dropping kids off at college is so much easier for me. Last year just about killed me with so many sad goodbyes. This year...I'm fine! I know they are happy and I know they do come back! :) Thank you God for the fact that never again in my life will I have to say goodbye to a college freshman. That ranks up there with one of the saddest things I've ever had to do and I HATED it every time! Saying goodbye to a college sophomore? I will miss them, but I can handle it!

PS-Laura isn't gone for good yet. She is coming back home tomorrow to stay for another couple of weeks. We just had to move her in today and sign the lease, etc. So she isn't really gone quite yet. :)

11 comments:

Kimberly said...

Isn't that true! Leaving my daughter that first year....wow, the hardest thing I have done. Now she is starting her junior year...I'm ok - like you said they do comeback.

The Monogrammed Mrs. said...

Her room looks so happy and cheerful and has my favorite colors! I love the art above the bed too. Glad this year is easier on you. If you plan to go to an ECU or State football game, let me know ahead of time and we could meet up. I know we'll be at the State vs. WCU 9/11 game for sure.

Christian Carroll Stewart said...

I'm so glad this wasn't a sad trip for you guys! Laura's room is super cute!

Meagan said...

If I ever need to move, I'm calling y'all! I think you guys have become professional vehicle packers! LOL!

I love those pictures of Lindy at the wedding weekend! They are such a cute couple and she always looks so stylish!

Claire said...

What cute photos! That room is going to be lovely!

Cxx

Lana said...

Her room looks so cute!

Leelee said...

Love the green and blue on her bed! What a cute room....my oldest left for her junior year of college (moving back into the sorority house) yesterday...we had already taken all her things last week...it's not nearly as bad as leaving a freshman ( I get to do that again next year), but I still cried after she left...I was glad to read your words and be reminded, They Do Come Back!!

Carrie B said...

Oh wow! All too familiar sight. This year I must figure out how to ship things because the Hubby refuses to drive the 18 hour drive to and from. Luckily #1's stuff stayed in the dorm, #2's stuff stayed in storage so relatively easy to move over to the house rental so #3 is the only one we have to figure out this year.
And you're right ~ it is easier the second/third go around. Kind of. :)

承王蓁 said...

After a storm comes a calm.............................................................

Love Being a Nonny said...

I can so relate. We had three in college at the same time for several years and two in at the same time for several years. We joked that we should have bought a U Haul when the first one went. They are out of college now and married and we STILL move them! Fun times though! Fun, fun times!

Lisa said...

I hate to admit it but I am looking forward (just a little) to getting my two girls back to school and just having the one at home. I have a lot of projects I want to do and planned to do over the summer and just can't get things done with all three girls around. You a right. Last year just about killed me. Moving my second into college and saying good bye was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I am sad again this year, but I know I will be okay and I don't feel so empty.