Sunday, August 22, 2010

First Week Back

Well, I made it through my first work week at my new school!


I really didn't know what to expect so I feel like I went in with a pretty open mind...and everything went so well! God answered my prayers that I have been praying all summer. I knew He was sending me on this new adventure and He has been faithful to make this beginning week just wonderful and that has put my mind at rest. I have a great team and everyone was super nice and helpful. I like my classroom and have it almost ready to go. It is bigger than my mobile unit last year and it is so clean and new looking. (And it smells good!) I will try to take some pictures to share maybe tomorrow. By the way, the PTA also brought in Chick-Fil-A to our staff meeting so you know that can't be too bad!!


I got my class roster and I have 19 students. I have a heavily ESL (English As A Second Language) class and I think around 12 out of my 19 students are Hispanic. Oh my goodness...I don't speak a lick of Spanish, but I guess I will learn!! :) They are going to be so precious. I can't wait to meet them.

My mom is coming in two mornings a week to help me so that is going to be great! She already came in one day last week and did so much to help me get everything ready.

One day last week I was working in my classroom when my new principal walked in with a piece of paper in her hand. She told me she wanted to share with me a letter that a parent of one of my students last year had written her. It was such a nice letter about me! I was so shocked and humbled that a parent would take the time to write a letter in my behalf and send it to my new principal.


I almost cried it was so thoughtful. Wasn't that nice?? It makes me want to remember to do those kinds of things for others! It means so much.

Last night Lindy called me so upset because apparently she has had some kind of allergic reaction to something (who knows what??) and her face, neck, and arms have broken out in little red bumps and welps all over. She was in tears about it because it looked so bad and was itching. She even sent me pictures and it did look pretty awful! I felt so bad for her and was so worried that I barely slept at all last night. She went to the doctor and got some medicine today that will hopefully clear it up soon. She starts classes on Tuesday and that is also her birthday so she reeeaallly wants it to be gone by then. Bless her heart!!

And Mark is getting his wisdom teeth out tomorrow! I am praying that it will go well and he won't get dry sockets or be in too much pain!

Being a mom is hard sometimes. I love my kids so much and hate to see them hurting or in pain!

My students are coming on Wednesday, so I have lots of planning and preparing to do over the next two days. I am not worried or stressed though. I have some fun ideas already in mind. I am looking forward to it being a really good week!

12 comments:

Lana said...

Good luck with your new students on Wednesday! They will all love you!! How sweet of a parent to write a letter to your new principal! I'll be praying for Mark and Lindy! Wisdom teeth are not fun.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Glad you are loving your new school. I hope things go well for you on Wednesday. I will be praying for you to have a wonderful year. I'm sure it will be a bit of a challenge, but you will do just fine. Sorry that Lindy has an allergic reaction and I hope the medicine helps. And good luck to Mark with his wisdom teeth. I'm sure he will do just fine. How sweet of your Mom to help you in your classroom. Have a good week. Love & blessings from NC!

Jacquie said...

I am super impressed that someone would take the time to do that for you... speaks volumes about the kind of teacher/person you are!!

I hope Lindy is feeling better soon. I'm really looking forward to hearing all about your new year in a new school... little Hispanic children are ADORABLE!!

petrii said...

Betsy,
What a sweet thing for a parent to do. I remember a lot of Dak's sweet teachers through the years.

Looking forward to hearing more about this new adventure for you this year. God is so good!!!

Hope Lindy and Mark are feeling better really soon.

Have a Blessed week,
Dawn

Lauren said...

Oh, Betsy, so glad to hear you had such a wonderful first week and I know that letter just had to have made your day!!!! Thinking and praying for Lindy and Mark!!

Heather said...

I hope Lindy is all better! That stinks and being a mom is hard alot of the time! So glad you had a great first week at school! I would totally flop in the speaking spanish department!! They would just Hola all day!! :) I don't even know if I am spelling that right.

Melissa said...

I'm so glad you are loving it so far! And, that was so incredibly sweet of that parent!

Megan L Hutchings said...

I am so glad that your first week went so well :). I am also not the least bit surprised someone wrote a letter about how wonderful you are.

I will say a prayer for all of your kiddos. How you do it...I will never know!

Laurie said...

First of all, I am sooo happy that you are going to be a grandmother. That is GREAT. That will be a CUTE baby! I hope you have a great school year. Love John Mayer being on here!

Leigh Ann said...

Hope you have a blessed school year, Betsy! I feel so bad for Lindy's reaction. I had one to cashews one time, and it was horrible. Hopefully she is much better by now. I am SO excited about your new grandbaby!!!!

Whitney said...

I'm so glad you love your new school and I'm so excited about your awesome news! Congratulations!! What a sweet parent to take the time to write a letter! You deserve it! :)

Christal said...

good luck this year you will be amazing though I already know that and how nice is that students parents to send a note so sweet!!
I feel for lindy that is no fun I hope she figures out what it is sooner than later poor girl! I know what that is like! Can't wait to read about your year you are wonderful!!