Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Brand New Year

Well, I made it through my first week! Even though it was only a three day week with the kids, I am EXHAUSTED! Just getting up at 5:00 in the morning is enough to kill me. Plus I haven't been sleeping very well since I have had so many things racing through my mind. I hate when you are so tired, but your mind won't settle down and cooperate with you!

My class is precious, just like I knew they would be. I already love them all. They are some of the cutest, most polite children from sweet loving families. They are nice to each other and so respectful to me. I hear lots of "pleases" and "thank-yous" from them. I have so much fun getting to know them and learn about their individual personalities. For example, I was sitting outside with them on the playground one day this week and one little girl said, "So...Mrs. Maddox, do you like spinach and artichoke dip?" That made me laugh, but I told her yes I do! Then she said, "Well, I brought that and tikka masala for lunch today if you'd like to sit with me and share it!" Haha! Really?? Wow...that is a gourmet lunch she had there! Oh my gosh, they are so funny.

Then when we had to think about ideas for a story, I told them sometimes thinking about a memory from long ago is a good start for a story. And one little boy told me he had a memory of chasing a road runner when he lived in Mexico. It was too fast for him, so he couldn't catch it. (Okay...that WOULD be an interesting story!)

Anyway...they are cute and I know it's going to be a good year.

Here are some pictures of my classroom...

This is my reading center...




Of course, I have to have family pictures!




This is my desk...


I had little goody bags for them at our Open House. It was just a new pencil and bookmark and a Tootsie Pop inside.


Mark got his wisdom teeth out this week. He did so well! He got them out on Monday and by Tuesday, he felt perfectly fine! He even went to the gym to work out and was eating kettle cooked chips by the third day! I thought he might be pushing his luck by doing that, but it was fine. He had to wear this bandage with ice packs in it to keep the swelling down.


Lindy got some medicine for her allergic reaction and now her face is all back to normal again and she is so happy about that!

We have a fun weekend planned. It is Steve's Fantasy Football weekend. He has been hanging out with about 10 guys doing his draft and eating steak and playing basketball, etc. So I am planning on getting some errands done today and getting a much needed manicure and pedicure. Mark, Ashley, and I are also getting breakfast at Cracker Barrell this morning. I haven't done that in such a long time! Then tonight Steve and I are meeting my parents for dinner at PF Changs. They wanted to take us out for our anniversary and this was the first chance we have had to do that.

I hope you have a great weekend!

16 comments:

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

Love your class room! And I thought it was extra special to have a little bag on each desk for your students!

~Beth

Cherit said...

Your room is cute! I'm glad you have had a great week back to school. What grade are you teaching this year?

Melissa said...

Wow, that is a nice classroom. It looks big and I love all the shelves it has! Sounds like you have an awesome class this year!

The Nashville Nosher said...

your class sounds so cute! I'm so glad you are enjoying your new school so far. Your classroom is adorable!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Your classroom looks cute! I know you are loving your students. Glad you have a sweet class. Enjoy your weekend celebrating with your parents. Love & blessings from NC!

Jacquie said...

Your classroom is always amazing!!! I would've loved having you for a teacher. :)

Heather said...

Poor Mark, what a trooper! I love your classroom and I am so glad you have a great group of kids! I wish you were Emma or AJ's teacher!! Your classroom is adorable, I love the rug area!! So glad you had a great week!

Love Being a Nonny said...

I would have loved for one of mine to have been in your room! It is so inviting and makes ME want to be a student again!!! I love all the shelving...I can't believe how much you have and how organized it is! Have a great year! Those kids are blessed!

Alex and Jill said...

I would have given anything to have a teacher like you when I was in school! You're room is so cute. Happy to hear Mark had a speedy recovery...lucky boy! I was out for over a week when I had mine out!

Lana said...

Your classroom looks great! I love seeing pictures of other people's classrooms! I think the lamps really make it more like home!

Faith said...

Awww, your students sound so sweet and they are so blessed to have you as their teacher. I know that God is going to use you in each of their lives in a big way.

Hope y'all have a wonderful weekend!!

petrii said...

Betsy,
Sounds like your year is off to a great start. Your room is so cute and sounds like the kids are even cuter =)

Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned.

Have a Blessed week,
Dawn

Kellie said...

Your classroom looks amazing!

So glad your first few days were a success! Here's to a great year!

Amy said...

Ahh! Those years that I taught. Your classroom brings back great memories of starting a new school year. I know you have worked very hard to make it look so inviting. Those four walls certainly don't look that way when you see your room for the first time. Hope your year is blessed with many great memories.

Christal said...

I love your classroom love the polka dotted carpet in the reading corner too! AND its so nice and clean and organized I love that about some teachers! Love the touches of home too you are such a great teachers glad you are loving your cute little kids! cute stories! Um I love cracker barrell and pf changes yummy!
Glad mark did good with his wisdom teeth no fun! Have a great day!!

Lauren said...

Your class is sooo cute and your students sound precious!!!!