Thursday, July 15, 2010

That's What I Like About You

I love having all my kids home. I always wanted a big family ever since I was very little. So I am very blessed. But there are a few things about having a big family that can be challenging! First of all, I feel like my kitchen has a revolving door on it. I go to the grocery store, then cook, then clean up, then it feels like it's time to cook again, then the dishes are dirty again, etc! And the laundry never stops. Plus our driveway is the shortest one on our street and we have the most cars. It really looks like a used car lot. So every time we go somewhere we have to play car shuffle. Not to mention the shoes that are lying around everywhere and the general clutter.

But despite all these things, having my kids home definitely has its blessings, too. Each one of them has fun things they are doing or that they tell me about and I love that about them! I am thinking of some things they have shared with me recently....

Mark is really into a game called Sporcle. Have you ever played it? You enter a category like "American Presidents" and you have a certain amount of time to list all the presidents you can think of before the timer goes off. He is a wiz at it--especially in geography! The other night we played it together and he was amazing! We were laughing and shouting trying to beat the time. But he did it! You should try it some time. It's fun!

Laura showed me this website the other day that I love. It's called 1,000 Awesome Things. It is based on this book....


and it is so much fun to read. If you want to get in a positive frame of mind, this will help!

Lindy
(and Laura) are both my Food Network rising stars. Haha! They love to cook and try new things in the kitchen. And I love that because lots of times they come up with some really yummy stuff. This week Lindy pulled out one of our old favorite summer desserts....Fruit Pizza!


Oh my goodness...if you've never had this before (but I think EVERYONE has, right??) you need to make it asap! It is the best dessert ever.

And, I've got some happy news! Ashley has started her own blog called The Rest Is Still Unwritten. She has been wanting to start blogging for a while and Laura finally helped her get it going this week. It is private for now, but if you e-mail her at ashleyscott511@yahoo.com, she will send you an invite! I am excited because I know she is going to love it!

It is so funny how during the summer all the days blur together. I just realized it is Saturday. We are going shopping today for granite countertops. We are trying to comparison shop and decide between quartz and granite and colors, etc. If you have granite or quartz, I would love to hear what you like/don't like about it!! Have a great weekend!

PS-Can I ask you to pray for something with me this week? My brother, Blake, is in Kenya on a mission trip for a couple of weeks. It has been kind of crazy over in Africa recently, so I am praying for his safety and the work they will be doing there. Plus, I know his family misses him, too. If you would keep all of them in your prayers, I would appreciate it so much! Thank you, blog friends! :)

14 comments:

MissBrightside said...

Hey Betsy,
i have quartz and it is the best. Just install it and you never do anything to it again. You can cut on it, put hot pans down and you don't have to seal it!

Meagan said...

Hey beautiful! I am so excited that Ashley is starting a blog - I just emailed her for an invite! I am also excited that you found my new blog address easily! Long story why I had to move, but it actually turned out to be a good thing! I learned a lot and had fun designing a new header and stuff and I like the title much better! Our summer is winding down - only 2 more weeks! YIKES! Hope you are squeezing in as much fun and relaxation as you can! (P.S. I don't know about quartz, but my parents LOVE their granite!)

Ann said...

call me crazy, but i've never had a fruit pizza before! it looks delicious and i definitely want to try it out! what is the "bread" made of and what is used for the "white cheese"?

we have granite counters and they are great. it's very easy to clean when you spill something and it has a pretty shine. hgtv says that granite is good for the real estate value of the kitchen.

姿柯瑩柯dgdd憶曾g智曾 said...

一時的錯誤不算什麼,錯而不改才是一生中永遠且最大的錯誤............................................................

JennyLa said...

Hello Mrs. Maddox! I found your blog while looking for your classes site! I hope you don't mind my reading it. We miss you and hope you are having a fabulous summer. Thanks for all you have done for us.
Love,
Jennifer Lancaster

JennyLa said...

Mrs. Maddox,
Found your blog looking for your class blog. Hope you don't mind me reading it! Just wanted to let you know we love and miss you. Hope you are having a great summer.
Jennifer (and Hayden)

Love Being a Nonny said...

I have granite and love it. I have a dark brown with some black flecks. You do have to keep it wiped off good or it will show streaks but I would definitely recommend it!

Praying for your brother and his group this week.

Kelley said...

praying for Blake (& Angie!). Hope you are enjoying your summer!!!

P.S. I LOVE fruit pizza!!

Lisa said...

Blake has been lifted in prayer in Raleigh!!

I have granite and have never had a problem. My first were solid black (called absolute black) and now I have a black, opal and carmel color swirl from Africa. I love it because it has movement and isn't the same anywhere. It is very overwhelming picking out counter tops because there are so many to choose from.

jillans said...

I am new to your blog through Kelly's Korner. I love reading it and have been enjoying getting to know you. I see you have traveled down my way! I live in Boca Raton, just south of Delray!! I look forward to getting to know you as I love reading Godly Woman's blogs. Blessings to you.

Kimberly said...

The fruit pizza looks great! I know what you mean with everyone home in the summer! I can't use to how late they sleep!! I feel like I have done a million things before they even get up! :>)

Megan L Hutchings said...

Hello there friend! I am about to e-mail Ashley for an invite. If she is anything like you, I will love her blog too :).

Believe it or not BUT I have never had fruit pizza. It looks absolutely delicious :). Perhaps your girls should try out for the Food Network!

Faith said...

What a neat post about your sweet kids! I'm so excited that Ashley has joined us blogging ladies. Hope you have a wonderful week!

雅莊王edgd春2蕙婷余惠其 said...

一個人就像一個分數,他的實際才能是分子,他對自己的評價是分母。分母越大,則分數的價值越小。..................................................