Thursday, July 1, 2010

Newport, Rhode Island...Who Knew?

I love going to new places! I love to travel and I have visited many of the 50 states in my life, but somehow I have never managed to go to Rhode Island! And, honestly, I really have never thought much about it or felt like I was missing anything. But today we went to Newport, Rhode Island and it was such a nice surprise! I never knew how cute and quaint it was or what gorgeous homes were there!

We left New York this morning and drove for about 3 1/2 hours and got to Newport a little bit after lunchtime. Newport is right on the water and there are tons of boats and yachts out in harbor.




On the waterfront there are lots of restaurants and shops that are so much fun to browse in.




And there are flowers everywhere!










I am not exaggerating when I say there were more HUGE hydrangea bushes than I have ever seen in my whole life in one place! Those are my favorite flowers so I was taking pictures left and right. haha

I took this picture after we got to Hyannis Port tonight. But these type bushes were everywhere in Newport!


For lunch we ate at a place called Rhode Island Quahog Company Restaurant. (Quahogs are hardshell clams. I just learned that today!)

I got a fish sandwich and it was delicious! I also tried Lindy's clam chowder which has won awards and it was yummy too!






After lunch, we went on the scenic drive around Newport and saw all the mansions that were there. And when I say mansion, I mean some of the BIGGEST and most elaborate homes you've ever seen! These mansions were built back in the early 1900's by families like the Vanderbilts and the Astors as summer homes. Can you imagine something like this being your SUMMER home???


And there was home after home like this! As we were driving, I couldn't take pictures fast enough to get them all. Some of these pictures I took, but not the one in the snow (obviously!)




You can take tours and go in all these mansions, but we didn't have time to do that today. We left late this afternoon and drove to Hyannis Port, Massachusetts.

Hyannis is so quaint and I can't wait to explore it tomorrow! The weather has been cool tonight...I think about 70 degrees! So it has been so nice. We ate dinner outside.


After dinner we just strolled around. I even got some hot chocolate because I was chilly!

Now we are off to bed so we can get up early tomorrow and get started on our day. If anyone is looking for a really interesting and fun vacation spot or even honeymoon/anniversary destination, I would totally recommend Newport or Hyannis Port. We have LOVED both of them and are already talking about when we can come back!

10 comments:

  1. AMAZING pictures!!! What a fun trip!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the tour!! I have always wanted to go to the North East. Makes me want to go even more now.

    Have a fun time with your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having SO much fun reading about your family's vacation! Have fun tomorrow...can't wait to read about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband travels to Hyannis Port all the time for business. I'm hoping it works out for us to join him this summer. He always talks about how gorgeous it is.

    Have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like such a nice place to visit! Like you said, I would have never thought I was missing anything in Rhode Island, but it looks beautiful! Those homes are beautiful! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhode Island and Maine are two places I really want to visit and you have just made me want to go more! so glad you all have been able to spend time together as a family. What wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to live in a little town just like this. So pretty!!

    And seriously, you are so stinkin' cute. Love you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great trip! I have been there! Only for 1 day and I was a teenager - this makes me want to go back so bad!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pics , we've never been back east anywhere ! Its on the list of "To do"! The food looks great too!!
    Happy Independence Day !
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)