Monday, July 26, 2010

Happy Monday

Happy Monday! Our weekend was really nice and pretty low key which is the way I like it. I hope yours was good, too. Just a few random thoughts today...

*It is hot as blue blazes here. Not only is it hot, but the humidity is about 1000% and it is just not fun to be outside right now AT ALL. I tried to go out and sit on my porch for a few minutes last night and I just couldn't do it. I love summer, but I'm hoping it will cool off at least a little before too long.

*Steve is now a Big Brother. He has been assigned a Little Brother through the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization here. Saturday night we took him out to one of our favorite Mexican restaurants and we had the best time. He is so cute and funny. Steve took him out last week to hang out and this week he asked if he could meet me. Haha! So I was happy to get to meet him!


*I have been reading this book...


I am about half way through it right now and I am really enjoying it. It is challenging me and I like that!

“Sometimes people will commend a book by saying, ‘You won’t want to put it down.’ I can’t say that about this book. You’ll want to put it down, many times. If you’re like me, as you read David Platt’s Radical, you’ll find yourself uncomfortably targeted by the Holy Spirit. You’ll see just how acclimated you are to the American dream. But you’ll find here another Way, one you know to be true, because you’ve heard it before in the words of the Lord Jesus, perhaps most forcefully in the simple call ‘Follow me.’”
—Russell D. Moore, dean, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary


The author of this book, David Platt, grew up in my dad's church in Atlanta...Briarlake Baptist. It is exciting to see what God is doing in his life!

*When I woke up on Saturday morning, I had broken out in about 8-10 of these bumps all over my back and stomach!


What on earth? They itch like crazy, but I don't have them anywhere else. Steve has one on his back, too. They are different than mosquito bites. We haven't gotten any more and they haven't spread. I have no clue what they are, but they are driving me crazy. I have been using calamine lotion and hydracortisone to help stop the itch. ????

*I made a Roasted Corn and Tomato Tart today that I found on Meredith's blog. She had seen it here if you would like the recipe. It was really good. I used some of the corn and tomatoes I had gotten at the Farmer's Market this past weekend.

*Laura is my creative writer child and my guitar player. She cracked out her guitar this afternoon...a sound I haven't heard for a while, so I had to take her picture.


Then Ashley came down and got on the piano. It's fun listening to them play together!

*Ashley and I are going to meet a blogger friend on Wednesday. I will tell you more about that soon. We are really excited!

Hope your week is off to a good start!

12 comments:

Kelley said...

It is so hot in Arkansas too. I think the Big Brother Big Sister program is so great. I need to read that book Radical. I bet I would enjoy it. One day in May my daughter's school called me to tell me she had broken out in bumps like what you had mentioned. It wasn't mosquito bites either. By the next day they were gone. The itching drove her crazy. Hope you have fun meeting your blogger friend.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Sounds like your summer is still going well. Sorry you have had a problem with those bumps. My youngest daughter used to have problems with hives, but they were much larger. Your husband's Big Brother child is precious!!! I know he will really enjoy doing that and how meaningful for that young man. Have fun meeting your blog friend with Ashley. I have met several of my blog friends in person. It was so exciting!!! Love & blessings from NC!

Girl with the Curlz said...

I've been watching the weather down there. We won't be heading down until the fall so I hope things are cooler by then. I sent you some awards please stop by and see :-)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I hope you liked the tart! I thought it was super yummy.

I also hope you get some relief from the heat and from your itchy bites. :-)

Lauren said...

That is soooo cool about Steve being a big brother…. I know it’s going to be such an investment in that boy’s life!! :)

Ashley Fisher :) said...

I just found your blog from Kelly's blog and your family is soo adorable!! I hope to have lots of kiddos one day also (we currently have two.) I am dying to know how far apart yours are?! Also, I've been wanting to read "Radical" also. Anyway, hope you have a fabulous day!

Megan L Hutchings said...

I think it is hot everywhere! The sad part is that we still have August to go...shew!

That book sounds so good and so true! Please tell us what you think once you have finished it :).

Have fun meeting your friend! I must admit I am jealous she is meeting you :).

Kellie said...

THank you for the link today! Hope you are feeling better!

Alex and Jill said...

Love that your hub is a big bro!

Are those bites chiggers? A chigger bite will drive you insane!

I'm thinking I need to make the corn/tomato tart. Sounds fabulous!

Meagan said...

It's hot here too, girl! When it's this steamy outside there isn't much of a choice but to be inside and low key! I love that Steve is doing the big brother thing - that is so great! Those are the type of children I teach at school, so I really appreciate how much they need someone in their lives like you and Steve! I hope your itchy bumps clear up soon - yikes! Enjoy the last few weeks of summer! When do you go back? I start next week!!

Christian Carroll Stewart said...

I didn't know that Steve was a Big! You know I used to work there? I have had a little sister for the past 3 1/2 years. It's such a great program!

These Three Kings said...

love ya blog, and I LOVE RADICAL the book!! God is using David Platt in mighty ways. I am praying that church is revived through much knowledge! I can tell you love your husband and children. That is wonderful! Just frm what I have read around on your blog that encourages me in Titus 2. Grace to you!
Nicole