Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy July 4th!

This was our last day in Boston and it was a great day to be here because July 4th is a really big deal in this city!


I am very patriotic and July 4th is probably one of my favorite holidays. I love the fireworks and patriotic songs. I even get a little teary eyed whenever I hear them just thinking about how blessed I am to live in this country and how brave and courageous our founding fathers were. I am so thankful that God has had His hand on us since our country began and I pray we will continue to be worthy of all His blessings.

Anyway...history abounds here in Boston. Everywhere you turn there is something new to learn about or see! We spent all morning walking the Freedom Trail.


"The Freedom Trail is a 2.5 mile red-brick walking trail that leads you to 16 nationally significant historic sites, every one an authentic American treasure. The Freedom Trail is a unique collection of museums, churches, meeting houses, burying grounds, parks, a ship, and historic markers that tell the story of the American Revolution and beyond."

We visited a cemetery where Paul Revere and John Hancock were buried. We also visited Paul Revere's home which was really interesting.


Of course, there are statues of famous Americans like Benjamin Franklin everywhere. He was born here in Boston.


Laura and Mark had fun dressing up in patriot clothes!


And there were other people dressed up like patriots who were giving tours...


Here are some pictures along the Freedom Trail. I think Boston has such quaint streets!




Poor Steve and Mark had to wait for us outside of a lot of stores! They aren't into shopping like the girls are.


Tonight we went to hear the Boston Pops and to the biggest fireworks show in the whole country. The fireworks are set off of a barge on the Charles River and there were 800,000 people there! I really didn't know what to expect, but this show far exceeded my expectations! It was truly amazing!

Here we are on the way over there...


We passed a cute little lemonade stand on the way...


and the restaurant modeled after Cheers (which used to be one of our favorite shows back in high school and college!)


These pictures don't really do it justice, but we all absolutely LOVED the fireworks show! It was the best one I have ever seen in my life!




Our Fourth of July was really fun. But now it's off to bed. We have a 15 hour drive tomorrow!

9 comments:

Love Being a Nonny said...

I have loved traveling with your family through the blog world this week!

I have a question though. How in the world do you stay so small with all the food yall eat? Young people usually don't have trouble, but you are still so small. UGH....Seems every little thing I eat goes to my hips!

Lauren Kelly said...

What a perfect end to an amazing trip!!! Have safe travels home!!!

Stephanie said...

You saw Cheers?! How cool!! Your trip was awesome!
Stephanie

Karen said...

I love seeing all of your beautiful pictures. I never realized Boston had such a huge July 4th celebration, have to put that one on the bucket list! Have a safe trip home.

Heather said...

LOVE Cheers!! So cool!! Betsy this is one of the neatest things ever to spend July 4th in Boston!! Did you go to Fenway Park?! :) These pics are great and I love the one of your boys waiting on y'all while you shopped!! :) It looks familiar!

Christal said...

How fun HAPPY 4TH!!! Love the pictures and all your trip posts I so want to go to all the places you've been over the week how fun! What a great family getaway ! You guys are the funnest family you make the effort to do things together to build last memories and relationships and I LOVE that!!!

Jacquie said...

What a FUN vacation. I've enjoyed being able to "go with you" as you've documented the different areas.

I like how you added "America" to your playlist, too!

PS - Our dog is a Boston Terrier that we think is mixed with a Boxer... but we're not 100% sure. She's a sweetie, though!!!

Immeasurably More Mama said...

I have watched the Boston Pops and fireworks on TV for years and have always thought it would be neat to celebrate the 4th of July there. What a perfect ending to such a great vacation!

Kimberly said...

Hi Betsey..I found your blog thru The Mongrammed Mrs. I have always wanted to go to Boston! Looks like you had a great trip!