Thursday, July 15, 2010

Balance

Good morning! Hasn't this week gone by fast?? I am trying to hold on to and enjoy every minute of summer. I think I am at the half way point right about now. I have been out of school for a month and I have about a month left to go. That's a scary thought! haha

In the summer, I have a dilemna. On the one hand, I love to sleep in. I never get to do it during the school year, so summer is my time to enjoy that. On the other hand, I don't like waking up at 9:00 and half my morning is gone. So...I just play it by ear each day. Today was a "get up early" day so I could go walking and drink my coffee out on my porch.


Not too long ago I finally joined the rest of the world and got an iTouch and I am IN LOVE with it. I downloaded my favorite music on it and I take with me when I go out walking. But unfortunately today it was out of battery so I took along my phone and just listened to Pandora radio. If you haven't discovered Pandora yet, you should go try it out!

Anyway...while I was walking I was thinking about how much time it takes each morning to workout, have a Bible study/devotional time, and get caught up on the latest news. I know you need to workout for about 45 minutes each day and Bible study and prayer time should be at least 30 minutes (I think) to really focus and do something more than "scratch the surface". Then if you read the paper or watch the news, maybe that is 30 minutes more? Wow...no wonder it's so hard to do all that during the school year! I would have to wake up at 3:30 in the morning to get it all done! Alot of times I try to do these things in the evenings after work, but then I am tired and it's time to cook dinner, run errands, do laundry, etc. How do you fit in all the things that you want to do in a day?

8 comments:

The Monogrammed Mrs. said...

I set one time a day for each. It began as an item on my calendar just like a meeting. That way I didn't miss it. Now it's habit. I have my bible study on my lunch break in my quiet house. In the evenings, my husband and I walk our dogs for an hour. Exercising WITH him means I don't miss any time with him.

Lauren Kelly said...

Betsy….. balance is such a hard thing. I’ve just started walking every morning before work for an hour, so I’m learning that right now myself. I was watching Joyce Meyer this morning as I was getting ready and as far as spending time with God in the morning and getting that time in, whether it be praying, in the word, or just being still…. She was stressing to not put a time limit on it. We as believers feel like we have to pray a certain amount of time, read a certain amount of time… but she said you know what, you should quit when you feel like you are full. So if that’s 10 minutes, so be it, or 10 hours, so be it (you get my drift, ha)…. It’s about quality, not quantity. Okay, I’ll get off my soapbox now!! Ha!

Just know you are not alone, we are ALL trying to figure this balance thing out!!!

Emily said...

I usually do my Bible study time in the morning before I leave for work. Some days I have plenty of time and can read and study and really let it sink in. Other days (like today!) when I am running late but I don't want to start the day without reading God's word, I focus on just 1-2 verses and continue to reflect on them throughout the day as much as I can.

I don't have any good advice about fitting exercise in though! So I look forward to hearing what other people have to say! :)

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

You are SO right Betsy that it's hard to fit it all in. It truly is.

I work full-time...and commute 2 hours a day (1 hour each way) so I take my devotional books, bible, ipod and read on the train. I'm blessed that I commute via a train so I can have focused time especially in the word and reading some amazing books as well.

I have a blackberry and I have emails on there so I can respond (if I choose) so that I don't have to spend time sitting at a computer to go over my emails. I also check blogs on my phone too.

I'm also more about quality than quantity. And, I'm learning to NOT be so hard on myself...the perfectionist that I am!

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your summer.Our youngest heads off to college in 6 weeks...so I know our world will be changing SOON!

Lana said...

Unfortunately, I never get all the things I want to do done in one day, especially since I have a newborn.

Cathy said...

I just had to come in and comment here. I've been following your blog for a couple of months now, and I think this is the first time I've commented. I think your blog is great!

It is hard for me to strike a balance also. I'm a wife, mom and teacher and there are just not enough hours in the day to get everything done. As far as Bible study goes, I find that doing mine at night works best for me. I am just too rushed in the morning. I'm a neat freak so before I leave the house all of the breakfast dishes must be done. I then find myself rushing out the door with the kids. I think I put too much pressure on myself, but I can't help it.

I always have my Bible on my desk at school so throughout the day I would grab it and try to read a few verses here and there. I'm always praying as I go about the day. During my free periods I usually listen to a sermon online or Christian music to keep me focused.

It's hard to find time for it all, but I try to get in a little here and there throughout the day. I won't start talking about fitting in exercise though...that's for another day. :)

佳伸佳伸 said...

thanks god for the chance to enjoy so many good artical.............................................................

Jacquie said...

It IS tough to fit everything in - we have busy lives in a busy society. I think that's part of what was so good about the old days when we didn't have so much technology. I do think we have to plan to make time to do the things we feel are important... that includes time with the Lord, time with family, working out, and housework.