Sunday, June 13, 2010

School's Out For Summer!

I finally made it through last week of school! Yay! I gave lots of hugs and we had our end of the year party and I waved all the kids off as they all drove away on their buses. I was a little sad for a minute, but I did okay. I think the week just seemed long because I was trying to move out of my room and say goodbye to everyone and it was sooooo HOT!! Everything combined seemed very tiring and I was really glad when I finally moved the final box into my car and I was handing over my keys for the last time. When I drove away from school last Friday afternoon, I was more relieved than sad. I loved working at that school, but I am looking forward to a new start and a new chapter in my life next fall!

Meanwhile, I intend to soak up every minute of summer fun! I started working on that on Friday night. My team got together at Jacki's house. She is our grade level chair and she just bought a gorgeous home near the lake. This is Jacki on the left with another teacher friend of mine, Sarah...


I just have the best team ever and I sure will miss working with them. We all get along really well and have the best time together. They were so sweet to get me a gift card and they also made me a platter at a pottery painting place called Dish-It-Out. It had all of our names on it...


and on the back, it said, "A Team Forever".


I love it! We were out very late at Jacki's house just laughing and talking and dancing and celebrating our last day of school. I know even though I won't be working with them anymore, we will all still get together and we will always be friends.




>


Saturday we went to a cookout for a couple who used to be in our Sunday School class who are having a baby. I am so excited for them and God has answered so many of their prayers. It was good to see them so happy.

Saturday night we had John and Ashley over along with Lindy's boyfriend, Sean. Have I ever shown you a picture of him?? Here is a picture of him with Lindy...


Laura is still on her mission trip to San Diego. You can read all about it here.

Anyway...I grilled chicken and made garlic mashed potatoes and salad and squash casserole. And Ashley brought over a couscous salad that she had seen Paula Deen make. Well, I fell in love with that salad and I even made it again today! I love salads in the summer and thought you might, too, so here is the recipe if you are interested!


Tracie's Couscous Salad

Ingredients
1 box flavored couscous (garlic or Parmesan), cooked
1 can chickpeas
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 Vidalia onion, chopped
1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
2 to 3 limes, juiced
Directions
In a large bowl, toss all the ingredients with the olive oil and lime juice, to taste.



We played a little ladder ball and Catch Phrase and watched the Braves and Lindy and Ashley made peach milkshakes for dessert.

Today was church and then Ashley and I hung out at the pool this afternoon. One of the best things about summer is Sunday nights. Just knowing I don't have to get up the next day makes me so happy!

Laura is coming home tomorrow and we are washing her clothes and packing up again because all of us girls are all leaving bright and early Tuesday morning for Florida! That is one of our favorite places to go and we are all looking forward to it. I wish Steve and Mark could go, but Mark is taking a Spanish class to try and get ready for his trip to Spain and Steve has to work.

So...that is what we've been up to lately...just enjoying summer!! Hope you are too!

11 comments:

petrii said...

Betsy,
That salad sounds amazing!!! I LOVE Couscous. I'm gonna be trying this one.

You look so cute in those pics and Lindy and her boyfriend are adorable together.

Have a Blessed week having fun in the sun,
Dawn

Jacquie said...

It's kinda sad hearing about you leaving your school, but I'm so glad you're excited about the next chapter.

I hope y'all have a blast in Florida!!

Meagan said...

Your first weekend of summer sounds just perfect! :-) I can totally identify with your feelings as you drove away from school. I thought I would be so sad, but after all the REALLY HARD work of moving an ENTIRE classroom to my spare bedroom, turning in the key was sort of a relief! :-)

And...Just so you know, Catch Phrase is my all time favorite game! lol And I love Sunday's for the same reason! Gotta love the two months we get off... makes all the hard work worthwhile!

Ginger said...

Friday night was so much fun! Have a great time this week...looking forward to the mountains with the team.

Lana said...

I hope yall have a great time in Florida! I'm a little jealous!

Christal said...

I feel the same way I miss you too!! Things have been so crazy for both of us eh!!Sad about your job but yeah for new changes and room to grow! You have such a great attitude about it all. Look like you all have so much fun in store for summer! Have fun in Florida. Love the new recipes I made the cheesecake one last week and it was a hit! Even Darren loved it and he isn't a big cheesecake fan. You family is adorable and you have kids to be so proud of!! Mission work trips school and just their drive to do what is right is awesome!! You are an awesome mom!!!

Lauren Kelly said...

YAY for summer!!!!!! I know it was bittersweet for you but great things are ahead. And when you are in FL, make sure to stop by and see me!!! :)

Megan L Hutchings said...

My favorite thing about you is your attitude...hands down.

You have such a refreshing spirit and it is so contagious :).

Karen said...

Hi Betsy, found your blog via The Francis Family! You have such an adorable family, I am officially a new follower. Have a great week!

Karen

Love Being a Nonny said...

What fun with friends! I LOVE THE PLATE THEY MADE YOU! And I love your attitude about having to change schools. God has a wonderful plan for you and those you come in contact with!

Christal said...

Hey love laura's blog hope she won't care that I sent a link her way on my blog ! She is incrediable!