Wednesday, June 30, 2010

NYC....There's Something About You!

This year we have debated back and forth about what to do for our family vacation. We thought about several options like going to California or Florida or just Myrtle Beach. But Laura and Lindy went on a mission trip several years ago to Boston where they even got to sing with our youth choir at a Red Sox game and they fell in love with it. So, since Steve and I have never been there, they really wanted us to go together so we could see it and they could show us what they loved about it. So that is what we decided to do this year. We would go to New York City, then go to Hyannis Port and Cape Cod, and then end up in Boston for the Fourth of July!

Yesterday we left bright and early from Charlotte and drove most of the day and finally got to New York about 6:00 last night. (We wish Ashley could have come with us, but she and John are house and dog sitting for us!) We are staying outside the city, but we decided to drive in and get some dinner. I don't know why I love New York so much, but it is just one of the most fun places on earth to me. You can not possibly be bored in NYC. There is so much energy and excitement here and I never get tired of it!

Anyway...last night we ate dinner at Heartland Brewery right in Times Square.


We were pretty tired, but dinner was delicious and we also had fun strolling around Times Square for a little while and getting some M&M's at the M&M store.


This morning we rode the train back in and, of course, we had to find a good bagel place! I wish I knew the name of it, but I didn't even look. We just saw a little bagel place that looked good and we stopped there. I got my favorite everything bagel with veggie cream cheese! Yummm!


After our bagels, we went to Rockefeller Center.






We were too late to go to the Today show this time, but we did see a giant Lego creation they were making of the Big Apple!


After that we took the subway to SoHo.


It is a little different going to New York with Steve and Mark. When my girls and I go on our trips together, we all love to shop and could browse the stores on Canal Street and in SoHo all day. But the guys aren't that into shopping, so we didn't do as much of that today.


We did go to the Scholastic Store though. If you are a teacher, you know how wonderful Scholastic stuff is so I always love going to that store. And Mark, Laura, and Lindy had fun trying on all the Harry Potter clothes they had there!






We also got some coffee and smoothies at a place called, "Cafe,Cafe" that we thought was really good! I love all the local restaurants and cafes in New York. Each one is unique and it's fun trying new things that you can't get anywhere else.


From SoHo, we took the subway to Greenwich Village. Bleeker Street has so many interesting stores and shops that are fun to browse. We got pizza there at Bleeker Street Pizza. It has been named the "Best Pizza in New York" by the Food Network and we all agreed it was some of the best pizza we had ever eaten!

This afternoon we went walking in Central Park. This day was absolutely gorgeous. I think the temperature was in the 70's and the air wasn't humid at all. That is such a big change from what it was like in Charlotte when we left!! So we had a nice day just enjoying being outside and watching people and walking. I could be entertained for hours with people watching and New York is the best city ever for that!






I will say that it seemed like we walked about a million miles and my legs are going to be so sore tomorrow! Mark even carried Lindy piggy back for a while!


Tonight we had dinner at an Italian place called Nonna's that we had heard was really good. I got eggplant parmesan and it was so good. I loved it!


We are all pretty tired. I bet we will all sleep great tonight! haha Tomorrow we are leaving for Hyannis Port. I have never been there, so I am looking forward to it!

11 comments:

Girl with the Curlz said...

Sounds like a fun trip so far. Glad you had such nice weather. Can't wait to hear about Cape Cod. I have ALWAYS wanted to go.

Jacquie said...

I love it when you share your trips with us... it's almost like being there!!!

Sounds like a wonderful vacation... I can't wait to see what your next stop brings.

Lauren Kelly said...

So fun!!!! Looks like a complete blast!!!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I've never been to NYC but I think it sounds SO fun!

John and I spent our honeymoon in Boston. It's a GREAT city! We talked about going there for our 20th Anniversary trip but decided to go somewhere new. I think you're going to LOVE it. We were there for the 4th and it is amazing!

I hope the rest of your vacation is wonderful too!

The Monogrammed Mrs. said...

I enjoyed Cape Cod, Hyannis Port and Nantucket more than most any place I've been! Try to take the ferry to Nantucket at least for lunch or something if you can! It's wonderful!!

Cindy said...

What a great trip! Looks like a lot of fun!!

Alex and Jill said...

I have never been to NY but want to take Amelia someday!! Looks like you guys are having a blast! Love all of the pics!

The Nashville Nosher said...

so fun! I am going to NYC at the end of the month and you have made me even more excited!

Heather said...

Betsy , will you adopt me?! Y'all have the best trips! NYC looks so fun and you guys are taking full advantage of the summer!! Will you come to Nashville!?!?! the pics are great! I bet the weather is fabulous!! I hope you keep enjoying your triP!!!!! Love you!!!!

bella said...

I have always wanted to go to New York and even more so after seeing this post on your blog. Can't wait to hear more!

Leelee said...

I have LOVED following along on your trip...I haven't been to NYC since the early 90's and I would so love to go...my best friend and I would fly into Boston and drive up the coast.....all the way to Bar Harbor...so many adorable places to stop, shop and eat...I know you are having a wonderful time....thanks again for sharing!