Monday, June 21, 2010

First Day Of Summer

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE summer??? Oh my word...it is the BEST season ever to me! Three of the best things about being a teacher really are June, July, and August! I am almost giddy about it. haha

We had a wonderful trip to Florida. The last day we were there, we rented chairs and really big umbrellas on the beach. It was pretty much heaven. The water felt perfect and those umbrellas kept us nice and cool. It was a beautiful and relaxing day.


But....we had a very loooonnngg trip home. The trip home always seems longer, don't you think? I was so glad to be back and see Steve and Mark and just enjoy being at home.

Yesterday we went to church, then went to lunch with Ashley and John. It was Father's Day so we also went to dinner last night with my parents and Steve's parents to celebrate. We are both very blessed with wonderful fathers. They are both godly men and role models for their children and grandchildren. And I am blessed with such a sweet, hard working, loving, and giving husband. My kids all think he is the BEST dad in the world and I happen to agree! :) Here is a picture of my kids with Steve and both of their grandfathers.


Today was the first day of summer and I loved every minute of it! I am still not used to sleeping late since I get up so early every day during the year. To me, sleeping late means sleeping till about 7:00!

By 9:30 this morning, I had already put in some laundry, cleaned out the fridge, gone grocery shopping, made pasta salad, and gone for a walk! I think the thing I love most is having the whole day to get done whatever I need to do and whatever I want to do! I even got to take a nap this afternoon. Rocky and I slept for about an hour and it was great. He loves sleeping next to me!

Tonight we grilled hamburgers for dinner and had corn on the cob to go with it. I wish corn on the cob was this good all year round. Corn, watermelon, and tomatoes are just so delicious at this time of year! I planted a tomato plant on my deck a while ago and I can't wait for those homegrown tomatoes to start growing soon!

So...my first day of summer was really good. And tomorrow is another day just like this one. I have nothing specific on the agenda and that's the way I like it!

9 comments:

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I taught pre-school for 16 years and that is the one thing I loved about teaching was the time off in the summer. Now I work year round, but I only work Monday through Thursday, so I have a nice, long weekend. Sounds like you all had a wonderful trip to Florida and a nice Father's Day. Enjoy your week. Love & blessings from NC!

Heather said...

I am so glad that you have had a great first day of summer! SO glad you girls had fun at the beach, but it does feel good to be back home. And yes, the drive back always seems longer!!

City Girl Country Heart said...

Im new to your blog and LOVE it!
I have just started reading, I will have to come back and visit later!
Looks like Fathers Day was a fun one for you all!
Happy Summer,
Stephanie

Lauren Kelly said...

Girl, sounds like you are having a FANTASTIC start to the summer!!! :) Enjoy every minute!!

Jennifer said...

Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog. I am new to blog world (and no one in my neck of the woods has one - including me - haha!). I have read Beth Moore's for several years and have stumbled across some others from that. One blog led to another - and here I am! Most blogs I have seen are written by younger women with younger children; I enjoy them, but am a little past that stage of life. I teach, too, and have 3 boys and we are just beginning the teenage journey. I find so much encouragement from you just in the way you live your life. Just wanted to share that with you!

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacquie said...

You can just tell how much less stressed you feel!! Glad your summer is off to a great start. I love the pic with your kiddos and the dads!!

Meagan said...

Sounds like the PERFECT summer day to me! :-) I think it's a teacher thing to get up early even in the summer... like you, I wake up about 7... try to go back to sleep... and am usually up bee-:boppin around the house by 7:15! :-) I guess our bodies are just conditioned!

I hope every day it just as wonderful as your first day of summer and more! Enjoy! (And stay cool - it is SO hot and humid this summer! - whew!)

Nancy from OHIO said...

Hi I came across your blog... I have been reading blogs for a while and have some faves. I enjoy yours as I am a teacher too!

Yes, Yes, Yes, we love our summers! We work hard during the school year. There are many evenings when I stay up late making new B. Boards or a new game to go along with a new lesson etc. Plus in the summer is when I find new ideas. The internet has many places to get those new ideas.

I am glad you spend such great time with your children. Mine are older (two boys) but we try to get together here and there for fun. Happy Summer! Nancy from OHIO