Saturday, June 5, 2010

Another Week Has Gone By

So...it looks like blogging is becoming just a weekly thing for me lately. I'm so hoping that will change soon.

I guess it's okay to tell you what has been going on here lately since I'm pretty sure everyone around here knows now. We have been having drastic budget cuts in our county recently and it has really been affecting our schools. In the last month, we have had over 500 teachers lose their jobs and lots of teachers have been displaced to other schools. And I was one of those. I don't have tenure yet (I will at in about a week!) because I took some time off of teaching to work for Steve. So...anyway, I will be moving to another school next year.

I was really sad about this at first just because it was such a shock and because I have worked for the same principal and with the same people for almost 8 years now (but not consecutively). And the school I'm going to will be very different from where I teach now. It will be a Title 1 school and I have never taught at a school like that before.

But, I know that God has a plan and I am okay with it. There is a part of me that has always wanted to work with children who don't have all the things that the kids at my current school have. So I am even a little bit excited about it! But I have been VERY busy trying to wrap up my year and get my stuff moved out little by little. I wish you could see my garage and guest room. Between 3 kids home from college and now all my school stuff, it is just stacked floor to ceiling!

Please be praying for me as I get ready to start this new job! I know it will be an adjustment, but I think I will enjoy it once I get used to it.

This past week Steve and I got to go see two of our very FAVORITE performers...James Taylor and Carole King. Oh my goodness...it was so good! That day had been so busy and hot and humid. When I got home from school, I was so hot and tired and just needed some good friends and some good music and relaxation. And that's exactly what we got.


We went to dinner with our good friends, Pam and Rodney at an Irish Pub downtown called Ri Ra's. We love them and we had a great time together. Plus the food was delicous.


And, y'all...the concert was amazing. I think it has been coming on PBS recently so if you get the chance, you should watch it! Those two are just so talented and they put on a really good show. Did you know that Carole King is 68 years old?? What on earth? And she has so much energy and spunk and such a great personality. And, of course, James Taylor is amazing. I could just listen to them sing all day. They have been friends for 40 years now and their friendship is evident when they perform.




Friday we went to Carraba's for dinner...kind of as a good bye dinner for Laura. She left this morning for a mission trip with Campus Crusade. She flew to San Diego all by herself for 10 days! I am so excited for her. I am praying that this week will be really special and meaningful.




After we dropped Laura off, Steve and I went to breakfast and ran a few errands. Then this afternoon we went to an orientation for Mark's study abroad trip to Spain this fall. It was really exciting to hear all the fun things he is going to be able to do. I will be sad to see him go, but he is going to LOVE it!!

My kids are just traveling all over the place! haha

I only have 4 days of school left. I am praying for a good last week that goes quickly! :)

I hope you have a good week, too!

18 comments:

  1. Betsy,
    You just have the BEST attitude!!! I love it!! I'm so sorry you've had to change schools, but I so agree with you that God has a plan. Hang in there sweet one.

    Oh your kids are just precious, with sweet, precious hearts.

    Have a Blessed evening and Lord's day,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for you and your new job situation. You have such a positive attitude about the whole thing.

    I work in a Title 1 school and it is definitely different and sometimes even harder. But, I think you will find it to be so incredibly rewarding. The kinds of children you will be teaching will be so appreciative of just the little things. I feel like I make a HUGE difference everyday. I can honestly say that it was God's plan for me to end up teaching where I do.

    I can't wait to hear about this new journey for you! Have a great and relaxing summer Betsy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Betsy, I am so sorry to hear about the school situation, I would be sad too. I don't know of anyone that likes change. I will for sure be praying for you and that the Lord will bless you greatly at the school. Love you friend, and that is a great picture of you and your man!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh Betsy! I'm so sorry about the job move! I know that must be hard but God has a reason for allowing this change! When I was working for BBBS, I had 4 Title 1 schools that I worked with. I know you are a wonderful teacher and those kids really need you! I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone else... you may be in for the biggest blessing ever!! These are certainly tough times and I'm sorry you have personally been affected.

    Have a great Sunday, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betsy, I'm sorry you're having to change schools. We're experiencing lots of budget cuts in our district too. Many of the children I teach live in poverty. It's sad, but like someone said above, they are so appreciative of little things. I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Change is never easy, but always inevitable, right? I am praying for you, Betsy. I have a feeling with your attitude, you will do great (and even positively influence some special children along the way). God knows, doesn't He?

    Have a great, restful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Betsy! I will be praying for you. I know this is such a hard time for you and your colleagues. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying that you love your new job. I know they will love you!

    And what a fun concert!!

    Bring on summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. God has a reason for everything, just embrace this change in schools and just see what he’ll do!!!! Praying for you, friend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry I have not commented in a while but I always check in.

    I am sorry to hear that you are going to have to change schools, but I think you will really enjoy it. In my line of work I meet so many of the families who you will be educating. They will be so blessed to have you as a teacher!

    My parents also saw James Taylor & Carole King and they said the same thing you did. Mom said it was by far one of her BEST concerts!!!!

    I hope the summer is full of great days for you and your family :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Betsy, I am soooo sorry to hear about your having to leave your school, principal and teachers. However, you are an amazing Godly woman who has a big heart and you are going to be a wonderful teacher for these precious children! There have been many, many chances for our teachers here in our small little town as well. Many displacements and some losing their jobs as well.

    Like you, I really enjoy James Tayor and Carole King, they are amazing!

    I know you are counting the days until summer, so sit back relax and don't forget to b-r-e-a-t-h, everything will work out for God's glory!

    Luv ya friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you'll find that a Title 1 school offers many unique challenges, but is SO very rewarding! The hardest part is to leave school behind you when you walk out the door... it's hard not to bring home the baggage you know your kids are struggling with! I swear there have been countless children that I wished I could just adopt and bring home with me! ;-) I also have a guest room packed FULL! It's amazing how much stuff I didn't know I had in my classroom! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I taught school in a title 1 school before I started having children...it was tough at first, but I ended up LOVING it...it really made me stop and realize what was important and what I was giving those kids (on test days, I would bring snacks, because I wasn't sure that everyone had breakfast...) I didn't go back to teaching after my kids were born, and I thought is best because I knew I couldn't emotionally invest myself they way I did...I have always thought that when my last of four kids (8 years from now) wen to college, that I would be ready to "reinvest" myself into those kids I came to love...I hope you love your new school and it is a very meaningful time for you and your students!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry to hear that you have to change schools. Change can be difficult. You have such a positive attitude and I'm sure it will be just fine.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)