Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Five Things

Time is just flying these past few weeks and I haven't been a very good blogger lately. So today I am just going to list a few things that have been going on here...

1-Today is Cinco de Mayo and it's also my daddy's birthday! I am so thankful for him and his love and advice and for being such a good example to his whole family and all the people who know him. He is a wonderful preacher and pastor, counselor, friend, husband, father and grandfather! I know I am blessed to have him in my life!

2-Laura came home yesterday! I can't believe her freshman year is over. Oh my word...it went by so fast! This is what the back of her car looked like yesterday when she got home...


She and Ashley met me at Starbucks yesterday after school.


I am so glad she is home and Lindy will be home tomorrow. Let the girl time begin!!

3-Speaking of "Girl Time"...Ashley and Laura and I went to Cantina 1511 for Cinco de Mayo tonight while Steve was at his Bible study and got guacamole and fish tacos. Yummmm! They win for best guacamole (made right at your table!)


4-While we're on the subject of good food...I wanted to share a reeaaallly good recipe I tried this week from one of my favorite cookbooks, The Comfort Table by Katie Lee Joel.


It was her Mediterranean Pasta and it was so good. Very light with lots of flavor and that's what I like this time of year!

Here is the recipe if you are interested...

Meditteranean Pasta

Boil 12 oz. linguine for @8-10 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1 c. cooking water.
Meanwhile, heat 3 T. olive oil over medium heat and sautee 1 medium red onion (thinly sliced) and 3 garlic cloves until tender. Add in 1 1/2 pints grape tomatoes (halved) and 1/2 cup pitted black olives. (I left off the olives just because I don't like olives.) Sautee until tomatoes are wilted (about 5 minutes). Add 1 lb. large shrimp, pitted and deveined.

Return pasta to the large pot with 1/4 cup of reserved pasta water. Add the tomato and shrimp mixture. Stir in 3 cups loosely packed baby spinach, 1 T. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, and 8 oz. feta cheese. Toss until spinach wilts. If needed, add more water until pasta is moist and saucy. Transfer to a plate and drizzle with olive oil.

De-lish!!


5-Have you heard of the Courtyard Dogs?


It's the Dixie Chicks minus Natalie Maines. I know the Dixie Chicks are controversial, but I personally love their music! So I have missed them since they haven't been recording any music lately! But now the two sisters, Emily and Martie have decided to record an album on their own. I love their sound, so I am definitely buying this one!

13 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I love the Dixie Chicks so much...and really have missed them! So happy to hear the sisters are recording again!

I also think that recipe sound delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Michele said...

I had no idea the sisters were recording an album alone! Thanks for letting us know. The recipe looks really yummy. So glad your girls are home/coming home! I agree the year has flown by.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds delicious! That Mexican restaurant sound good too. We will have to try it out when we come down to visit Lauren. I know you are excited to have your girls home for the summer. My daughter will be home this weekend. Happy birthday to your Dad. Love & blessings from NC!

missleeannskidz said...

That recipe sounds great! Can't go wrong with pasta and shrimp! It reminded me of this pasta salad I love for the summer time.

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/pasta/italian-market-pasta-salad/

Jacquie said...

So glad your girls are getting to come home! I SO wish I would've eaten Mexican today... everyone else has!

Heather said...

Happy birthday to your daddy!! And didn't you just send those sweet girls off to college!??! You girls are going to have a great summer! I just tweeted about the dixie chicks, what's going on???

Alex and Jill said...

I'm curious why they chose that name...Courtyard Dogs?

The recipe sounds yummy....going to have to try it (minus the shrimp - because I don't eat seafood). Think it would still be good that way?

Your girls are so cute...just like their Momma!

I had some tacos and guac tonight, as well...yum! Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

Love Being a Nonny said...

I have not heard of The Courtyard Dogs but I love The Dixie Chicks. Thanks for sharing.

I know you are SO glad you have your girls back home. Hope yall have a wonderful summer!

Lauren Kelly said...

YAY for girl time!
YAY for Cinco de Mayo and good guacamole
YAY for them r.ecording a CD together. Had no idea they were going to do this.
YAY for such a wonderful gal such as Betsy Maddox and an update (just added that in there) :)

bella said...

That recipe sounds so good. I have the same cookbook and love it. Have you tried the meatloaf in the cookbook? It is the best!

胤麗娟珠 said...

外表往往與事實本身不符,世人卻容易被表面裝飾所欺騙了........................................

Meagan said...

Girl, I have been a terrible blogger! BUT, I am now trying to catch up and you were one of my first stops! :-) My mouth is watering because that recipe sounds so good and has my favorites (olives and feta!). So good to catch up with you and yours... counting down until school is over!!! We are out on the 31st, when is your last day?

sanjeet said...

That recipe sounds great
post free classifieds