Monday, May 31, 2010

Change Of Plans And A List

I had planned on a sunny day at the pool today and maybe some cooking out on the grill, but instead we woke up to one of the darkest, rainiest Memorial Days I can remember! So... I changed my plans and decided to get caught up on blogging and try to finish a book I'm reading instead!

Today I just have a random list to share....

1-Happy Memorial Day!


I saw this quote today and really liked it. I feel this way, too!

I have never been able to think of the day as one of mourning; I have never quite been able to feel that half-masted flags were appropriate on Decoration Day. I have rather felt that the flag should be at the peak, because those whose dying we commemorate rejoiced in seeing it where their valor placed it. We honor them in a joyous, thankful, triumphant commemoration of what they did. ~Benjamin Harrison

I hope wherever you are, it is prettier than it is here and you are able to do something fun with your family and friends! But we can all take time today to remember what we are celebrating!!

2-Saturday night we went on a double date with my parents to PF Changs and then we went over to their house for dessert. My mom had made a new recipe that was DE-lish! It was called sopapilla cheesecake and I could have probably have sat there and eaten the whole thing by myself! So I thought I would share it with you. It's made with crescent rolls, so that's all you need to know, right??


Sopapilla Cheesecake

2 cans reduced fat crescent rolls
2 8 oz. pkgs 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 stick butter (or 1/2 stick)
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9 x 13 pan with Pam. Place 1 pkg. crescent rolls in sprayed pan. Beat cream cheese, sugar (1 1/2 c.) & vanilla till fluffy. Spread over crescent rolls. Place second pkg. crescent rolls over cream cheese. Melt 1 stick of butter and pour over crescent rolls. Mix 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 c. sugar & sprinkle on top. Bake at 350 for 30 min.

Can be topped with honey and served cold or warm with ice cream.


3-I am reallly getting sad about the oil spill in the Gulf!


I know God is in control and He will take care of us, but I feel like man's greed and disregard for our responsibility in being good stewards of the earth has just reached a new all-time high. We have to think about our choices and realize that the things we do have long term consequences! Anyway...just praying that God will intervene somehow in this mess.

4-On a lighter note...have you tried these??


We are now officially addicted!! They are so yummy! If you like sweet and salty, you need to pick up a bag of these asap!!

15 comments:

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Happy Memorial Day! If it makes you feel any better, it is raining here too. Thanks for the recipe. That sounds delicious!!! I love anything made with Pillsbury Crescent roll dough. And as far as those M & M's are concerned, I have seen them, but will have to check them out. I love sweet and salty. I guess you are ready to be out of school and looking forward to a wonderful summer! Take care. Love & blessings from NC!

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

I am glad you all are having a nice weekend! Adelaide and I were all ready to go to the pool today but then when we got there it started raining... Oh well!

We tried those M&M's yesterday and they were yummy!

Enjoy your long weekend!

Carrie B said...

It's been raining here for weeks. And I mean weeks. I'm hoping the rain will stop for the graduation festivities on the 12th. Ugh

I am so going to try those M & M's cuz I'm all about sweet and salty.

Happy Memorial Day!

Mandi said...

1 - The weather here is great today but it is very hot! We have been outside all afternoon.
2 - I made that sopapilla cheesecake one time...it is SO good.
3 - The new M&Ms sound like a yummy treat!

Jacquie said...

Sorry you got rained out. That cheesecake looks YUMMY!!

Love Being a Nonny said...

My sons went to the race in Charlotte this weekend and they brought back the pretzel M&Ms...can't wait to try them!!!

We had a beautiful, sunny Memorial weekend her...only about an hours worth of rain in three days. Sorry yours was gloomy but it sounds like you made the most of it!

Fran said...

We are supposed to head to Orange Beach in July for family vacation and the kids world series for baseball. We are kinda stuck and will still have to go. I'm afraid the beach won't be so pretty. Boooooooooo. Makes me so sad on so many levels.

Anyhoo...have a fabulous day!
hugs,
Fran

Lana said...

Happy Memorial Day! It was rainy here all day, too! I've never seen those M&M's...I need to try them!

Lauren Kelly said...

Boo for rain. But hopefully you still enjoyed your day!!
Did you have beach plans? Hope they don’t get ruined by the oil spill if you do.
And I seriously need to try those M&M’s!!! Love the sweet and salty mix!!

Megan said...

I haven't tried those pretzel M&M's yet but I really want to! Sorry your plans got changed but it sounds like you still enjoyed your day!

Heather said...

I have missed your posts Betsy!! I love that statement about Memorial Day. I teared up. And that dessert looks so good, I am always looking for a new dessert to make! They really need to do something about this oil spill and get on it. I agree with what you said friend!!

奎峰 said...

三更燈火五更雞,正是男兒讀書時 ..................................................

Meagan said...

Hey girl! I haven't seen the new M&Ms yet, but that sounds like dangerous combination for me!! lol.

It's great to catch up with you! Now that it's summer I am looking forward to some good books and some good blogging!!!

petrii said...

Okay so I was just thinking yesterday about sweet and salty and how much I love it. When I could eat strawberries (and wasn't allergic, annoying =) I would make a strawberry, pretzel dessert. Oh my stars, delish!!! I haven't seend these particular M & M's. Do I live under a rock? I'm gonna have to hunt them up. Hopefully they've made it to MO.

I'm so sorry it rained there. It was beautiful here and we cooked out and bought a used car for my hubby to tinker with and fix. We needed a another car since Dak is driving and will hopefully be getting a job soon.

Have a Blessed week ~~ isn't this your last week of school?

Love and hugs ~~ Dawn

Alex and Jill said...

Oh my goodness, I make that same cheesecake and it's AWESOME!! It's really good with a cup of coffee. Going to try those M&M's. And I'm sad about the oil spill too...not sure what we're going to do about vacay!