Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Springtime In Charleston

Yesterday Ashley and I drove to Charleston just for the day. It was absolutely gorgeous. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and it wasn't too hot so it was a great day to shop and browse around the city. I think we just about walked our feet off!

When we got there, it was lunchtime, so we ate at a famous Charleston landmark called Jestine's Kitchen.


Jestine was a sweet black lady who died when she was 112 and who was known for her delicious home cooked southern food. Here is the lunch menu....


For an appetizer, we got fried green tomatoes. Then I got the fried catfish over grits with collard greens on the side and Ashley got a shrimp Po'Boy sandwich with fried okra. And as if that wasn't enough, we had blueberry/peach crisp for dessert!! Goodness...we NEEDED to walk all day to burn all that off! haha For dinner we ate at another famous restaurant called Magnolia's. They have also been in Southern Living magazine and other publications for being one of Charleston's best places to eat. It was delicious, too!


Charleston was in full bloom so after we did some shopping on King Street, we just walked all over the city looking at the beautiful homes and flowers everywhere. Spring is such a great time to go there!! Here are some of the things we saw....










I think this picture is the only time we sat down all day (other than to eat!)


Today I am back home and just doing things around the house and helping Steve in the yard. I can't get over the amount of pollen that is all over the place. I washed my car off today because it was COVERED in yellow dust and you could barely see out of the back window. Then I went to the grocery store. When I came out, my car was covered again!! It is crazy! We really need some rain.

Well, I can't believe it is already Wednesday!!! Spring Break is going by way too fast! :( I am going to try and soak in these last few days before it's back to work.

11 comments:

Becky said...

I'm so glad you've been enjoying your spring break. The flowers are gorgeous, we haven't bloomed out quite that much here in Arkansas. I know what you mean about the pollen, my black vehicle was yellow yesterday. We got a HUGE rain this afternoon and I finally backed my car out in it and now the pollen has all washed off and is standing under my carport. Enjoy the rest of the week!!!!!

Michele said...

I love Charleston so much, but I haven't been there in years. Seeing your pictures makes me want to go back. SOON!

Cherit said...

The pictures are beautiful. Was that lilacs in one of them? I sure do miss those. We had huge bushes back home in Kansas growing up. We are even having pollen issues here in the desert. I guess there is no escaping it. Hope you enjoy the rest of your week off.

Heather said...

What a fun day for you girls! I can't wait to do things like this with my girls when they are older, no strollers or diaper bags! Wait, yes I can, cause I am sure it will be here soon! Love the pics!

Jacquie said...

I love hearing about your family fun! The trees and flowers are beautiful, but I'm with you on the pollen!

That menu is CRAZY. David would love those selections (especially yours).

Kathryn said...

Springtime in Charleston is the best! And I LOVE Jestine's!

Whitney said...

Yummmmoooo! That menu look scrumptious and it sounded like y'all had such a fun day!

Lisa said...

Charleston is one of my favorite places. I have never eaten at Jestine's. There has always been a line wrapped around corner when we've tried. Magnolia's is wonderful! We like it there and like Blossoms.

I have never been to Charleston during the peak of spring. The pictures look beautiful. I love to walk around and look at all of the houses and gardens. You definitely have to do a lot of walking to make up for all of the eating!

We FINALLY got rain last night!!!! My patio is no longer yellow/limegreen!!!

Melanie said...

It looks like you had such a fun time. Beautiful pictures...we have yellow pollen everywhere here in Middle Tennessee too.

Christal said...

I seriously want to move to the south its so pretty people are so nice and I love the accents and it all looks so fun and intriguing maybe I should just come visit you to start with eh!! ttys

Christal said...

ps what a fun day for you guys!