Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What To Watch??

This weekend I was folding some laundry and I was trying to find something on TV to watch while I was doing that. Now, I think I have maybe close to 100 channels on my cable and I am telling you I could not find a SINGLE thing to watch! I kept flipping and flipping and all I could find were the trashiest shows I have ever seen. Seriously. It was so disappointing and honestly just disgusting. Have you watched TV on a Saturday lately? Well, don't bother. It is slim pickins!

I finally found TV Land and settled on an old episode of Bewitched...


and as I was watching I was remembering back to my childhood when everything on TV seemed so much more simple and innocent. I'm sure everything wasn't squeaky clean but at least there were some funny and wholesome shows to choose from. Or maybe some shows that gave you something to think about and had very little sex or violence or bad language in them.

The first show I think I can remember loving when I was really, really little was Family Affair. I just loved Buffy and Jody and Buffy's doll, Mrs. Beasley. I even had coloring books about them. Once I remember I got in trouble for something and my punishment was not being able to watch that show. I remember I cried all night.


And we always watched The Lawrence Welk Show on Saturday nights, too. Now THAT is some good entertainment. I know it's cheesy, but those people really can sing and dance and play instruments! My kids even grew up watching it too on PBS!


When I was in elementary school, my favorite shows were Brady Bunch


and The Partridge Family.


You could count on the fact that these shows would be kid friendly and usually taught some kind of lesson.

Every day after school growing up we would come home from school and get a snack and watch reruns of Leave It To Beaver and Gilligan's Island. Whatever problems they were having could always be wrapped up neatly in about 25 minutes!

I also loved Happy Days


and Laverne and Shirley.


I loved all that 50's music and the lighthearted comedy that didn't have to involve sexual inuendo. Seriously. It seems like so many comedies today are so raunchy and not even funny at all.

And, of course, there were two of my VERY favorites...The Waltons and Little House On The Prarie! I was a huge Laura Ingalls Wilder fan when I was little and I read all her books. So, of course, I loved the show, too. It always seemed like those shows could make you cry. I even decided when I was really little that I loved the name Laura and wanted to name one of my daughters Laura! And I did! I am glad that show is still on in re-runs.


Watching the Waltons made me want a big, close-knit family that sat around a big table together every night and said sweet things to each other before they fell asleep. And I got that, too!


I'm really not a prude and I do think there are a few good shows on today...lots of them are reality type shows though, like Amazing Race and American Idol and Biggest Loser. But honestly there are so many shows out there that are just appalling to me. Just sayin! But I will climb down off of my soapbox now! haha

Do you know of any good, wholesome, sweet shows that I'm not thinking of??? What do you watch these days?

15 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

My kids checked out I Dream of Jeanie from the library today!

We love old tv shows, but honestly, we think that some of the stuff on Disney/Nickelodeon today is similar to what we grew up with. Hannah Montana, iCarly, Wizards of Waverly Place. Those shows remind us of the sitcoms we used to watch.

Betsy said...

Haha....I think I might need to watch more Disney Channel and Nickelodeon! I forgot to say that my kids used to love Full House back in the '90's. That was a good family/kid show! :)

Pam said...

These were my favorites too. Especially Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley

jeanie@mageditor.blogspot.com said...

I loved Family Affair too. Actually, I loved all the shows you listed although I'm not sure I was allowed to watch Partridge Family. I remember knowing what it was but I can't remember the episodes. We watched Lawrence Welk EVERY SINGLE week with my Grandma. She ADORED it. I still watch it sometimes on PBS.
So many shows are filthy...especially comedy sitcoms.
I like the Hallmark channel and we watch alot of DVD's.

Love Being a Nonny said...

These were all my favorites too! Great post!

I love 19 Kids and Counting. To me, they are wholesome and there is so much love in that family!

Vonda said...

I know what you mean! I have an 11 year old daughter and there are very few of today's shows that we can watch together. Thankfully she is a BIG fan of I Love Lucy!

Kelley said...

Girl - I know what you mean. I struggle on a daily basis with music, magazines, television - any form of media - and its inappropriateness. Finding interesting things for a middle school boy to watch is challenging!

That being said - i LOVED Eight is Enough!! It is one of my all-time favorites. I loved The Cosby Show, too.

Kellie DeLange said...

The majority of what we watch is reality-American Idol, DWTS, Biggest Loser, anything on Food Network, HGTV, and some on TLC...Other than that, it's mostly all junk. We do like reruns of The Cosby Show and my daughter watches a few shows on The Disney Channel. Brad and I do watch "Chuck" on Monday nights! It's pretty clean, just with some action/violence, but lots of humor!!

Heather said...

I totally agree with you on this one!
I loved watching the Walton's with my mom and I loved I love Lucy!! Even cartoons these days are not the same!

Cherit said...

I totally agree with you. I'm just amazed as to what is on t.v. these days. I use to love Emergency. I found in recently on retro t.v. They just don't make them like that anymore.

Mom Can I? said...

I was up last night at 3 with a teething, very unhappy baby and there was really nothing on! Thank goodness there was a Cosby Show marathon on one of the NICK channels!!! So I rocked and we hung out with the Huxtables! Claire makes me feel like a normal mom....when a TV mom can get so flustered with her kids she can't speak just like I do - ya know you are ok!

Teresa said...

What a great idea for a post! I really enjoyed Facts of Life, Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, oh I could go on and on....

Christal said...

I love all those shows too!! and I'm right up on that soapbox with you there is pretty much nothing but dirty on anymore nothing wholesome and clean. That's why my favorites are about the same as yours! Great post I loved I dream of jeanie and then the next generation after all those was facts of life/ cosby/ all those kinds what a world eh!

Darla DiStefano said...

oh, I love all of those shows too and Bonanza and I Love Lucy! I remember watching the Lawrence Welk show one day and a lady that came on stage to dance (polka I think) lost her wig. It just flew off and then she flew off the stage...it was so funny! We all love Dancing With the Stars these days, especially last season when my teenage heart throb Donny Osmond was on! :-)

Jacquie said...

One of the things I love about your blog is that when you reminisce it's almost identical to the things I reminisce about!! Friday night at the Goulet house was TV/popcorn night. We'd watch the Brady Bunch and the Partridge Family and eat out of our big family popcorn bowl. I was a huge Laura Ingalls Wilder fan (still am... I collect stuff relating to LHOTP... and we loved visiting her and Manley's home in Mansfield, MO). I watched about everything you did. I never got in to Lawrence Welk, but my grandma was a fanatic!!

Saw on the Hallmark channel today the "the Love Saga" is playing tomorrow. Love them!