Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Chili and Cheer

Yesterday was my favorite kind of "Christmas-season" day! First of all, I didn't have to wake up to my alarm clock. I got to wake up slowly and drink a cup of coffee and watch the Today show. And I tried to watch a little bit of Good Morning America since it was George Stephanopolous' first day on the job.

I pulled out all of my Snow Village houses that I didn't have time to put out earlier. I love this little village. It reminds me of a Norman Rockwell painting where everything is still sweet and unjaded.






I wish I had more room to put all my houses, though. I need to find another, bigger place to spread them out. Do any of you collect some kind of houses or village? Where do you put yours?

I am having my brother and his family over for dinner tonight, so I wanted to get my table set yesterday.


I put out my red and green set of Christmas china.


I have a set of snowman china too that I will use on my kitchen table. And then I just added some things I got at Pier One for the center of the table...




Then, last night we went to my neighbor Candy's house for our annual get together. We call it Chili and Cheer and we have been doing it now for about 10 years. Our kids are all the same ages and they have so much fun getting together. Now that most of them are in college, they don't get to see each other as much as they used to so they love seeing each other and just hanging out. I didn't take as many pictures this year because my kids are starting to complain about how many pictures I take. They will thank me later, right??


















We love our neighbors!

11 comments:

  1. Your table looks beautiful! I hope the dinner goes well. I love your chili and cheer tradition ~ I remember reading about it last year too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your table with the gift and the dishes. It all looks great. And yes, your kids will thank you later - keep taking those pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy, I love all these pictures!! You have a beautiful family! I love your dining room table, gorgeous! I have those presents too, I think they are so cute! SOunds like you are having a great time off!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet!! What a fun tradition!
    I LOVE your Christmas table!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LUV your table!~~~ When the girls were little I collected the Dept. 56 Snow Village for Cortney and the Dept. 56 North Pole Village for Casey. We loved putting them out every year. When the girls got married I gave their villages to them. I love going to their homes during the holidays and seeing how they have arranged their sweet village that once adorned our home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute outfit Betsy! I hope I'm as trendy as you when my children are grown! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a few extra minutes this morning and I must tell you that I really enjoyed reading down through your blog. This post on chili and cheer was so beautiful! Seeing each of you with smiles was so refreshing. What a good looking family...yours and your neighbors. Times like this evening are memory making treasures.

    Merry Christmas to you! I always look forward to my visits here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your table looks beautiful! And I love your snow village. I have one that I've collected over the years, but didn't get it out this year.

    I'm glad you REMEMBER to get pictures... I always think of it afterwards!

    Merry Christmas, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betsy,
    This looks like so much fun!! I LOVE traditions like this.

    I LOVE your table. So GREAT!!!

    Have a Super evening,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do have a village but sadly it is still in the box and sitting in my living room. I struggle with it every year because I do not have a good place to set it all out. Last year, I displayed it under one of our Christmas trees. I put different sized boxes under the tree skirt and put the houses on top of them. It was really pretty, especially with all of the different lights from the tree and houses. Because things are so hectic with my mom being sick, we did not put that tree up this year and I never bothered to pull out the village. I really miss seeing it!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post fun!!! Love the homey feel of it!! I hope you and your family have a great christmas!!! Love your blog! love you! THanks for sharing all you do you are an awesome mom friend and person!! I admire you and always look forward to reading!! U R wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)